Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anyone having issues focusing on the iPhone screen?

Anyone having issues focusing on the iPhone screen?
bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 12:37 PM

I just received my iPhone yesterday, have used it for a number of hours off and on, and am having a bit of an issue. My eyes can't seem to stay focused on the screen. First off, I have had my eyes tested recently, so that is not the issue. I have tried viewing the screen with my glasses, no glasses, high brightness, low brightness, etc. I love the iPhone, but it is very hard to use if I can't focus on the screen. I think my eyes may be trying to focus on both the screen layer and the reflective surface at the same time.

Anyone else having the same issue? If you did, did you get used to the screen with time?

Thanks!
Macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB Ram, 5G 30GB iPod

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 12:39 PM

I"m not having any focusing problems, but the screen's so high-res that I get headaches from looking at it too long (I had the same problem with the PSP).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

-Q-
Aug 7, 2007, 03:55 PM

No issues so far with the screen on the iphone.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 04:04 PM

No problems at all.

bradbissell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The iPhone is sadly heading back to Apple. It is an amazing machine, but for me and apparently my brain, isn't the best option.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bradbissell View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The iPhone is sadly heading back to Apple. It is an amazing machine, but for me and apparently my brain, isn't the best option.
I can understand this completely, not so much on the iPhone as my eyes & phone work together, but for my father I got him a great new LCD 22" and he still uses it on 1200 or something, a couple resolutions below the top end, which his computer can easily handle for office work. He told me it bothers his eyes and takes to much work taking on/off his glasses.

bradbissell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 09:55 AM

It has something to do with the brain and its ability to focus at the right depth. I have the same problem with reading books. I see movement on the page because my eyes are constantly adjusting. It is really distracting and I can't read books for more than a few pages before I can't take it any longer.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 01:01 PM

That's too bad, Brad. Is there any chance giving it a couple of more days would've let you acclimate yourself to it, or was there just no chance of that?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 02:03 PM

Gut feeling is "This guy needs reading glasses."

Please don't hammer me for it, but have you considered seeing a different ophthalmologist for a second opinion?

From your description of reading books, it sounds like this must be some kind of diagnosable disorder?

Edit: Another idea - is it possible that your glasses might be slightly bent? I just remembered having very similar symptoms back when my glasses were ever so slightly twisted. Each eye is still able to focus fine for itself, but together, they start doing the shimmy.

Also, on framed glasses with plastic lenses, if the lens edge isn't perfectly ground or the frame is a little bent, the stress put on the lens at that one point will cause slight distortion in the viewfield, to similar effect.

I've had both of these situations.

OTOH, you describe having this symptom without glasses, as well, so...
( Last edited by analogika; Aug 9, 2007 at 02:12 PM. )

freudling
Banned
Aug 9, 2007, 09:01 PM

Sometimes, I have trouble focussing on the iPhone screen for the exact reason you specify.

I have better than perfect vision (20/10)

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Gut feeling is "This guy needs reading glasses."

Please don't hammer me for it, but have you considered seeing a different ophthalmologist for a second opinion?

From your description of reading books, it sounds like this must be some kind of diagnosable disorder?
i second the thought to see another ophthalmologist, especially since this happens in the context of reading books, too.

bradbissell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 09:48 AM

Well, after some searching I have figured out the condition I seem to have. It is called Convergence Insufficiency. Only 3-5% of the population have it... So I guess I'm special.

I'll be seeing an ophthalmologist in the near future regarding this.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 10:11 AM

I have had problems trying to get my point and shoot camera to focus on the screen because the focus sensor seems to reflect off of the screen back at the camera. Solution? Blast it with light.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Forum Links
Forum Rules