Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Confirmation: 17" MBP has user-replaceable HDD

Confirmation: 17" MBP has user-replaceable HDD
Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2009, 02:42 PM

So Apple just released the 17" unibody MBP user manual. The RAM and HDD are both user-replaceable items.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/..._Early2009.pdf

All you need is a Phillips screwdriver.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2009, 05:22 AM

Yup - I don't know where the rumor about it not being possible came from. From the day of their announcement the following text has been on Apples Website

You can upgrade the memory and hard drive yourself
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 03:00 PM

People (myself included) assumed it was not because of the lack of a pull-off panel like in the 15".

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2009, 09:31 PM

I like this better than the panel on the 15" - I have heard that it makes it sit uneven. When my 2.33GHz MBP dies, I know which I will replace it with now!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 03:51 AM

I prefer the panel because it makes it easier to replace the disk (the 15" still requires a screw driver, but it's only one screw). But since the non-removable panel also means integrated battery with much better battery life, overall I prefer the 17" approach.

I'm still getting a 15" though. I fly a lot and the 17" would be totally unusable in coach. At the office and at home I connect it to a large screen. I just hope the next 15" revision will also have an integrated battery with 6/7h. But I'm not counting on it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 04:26 AM

While it's definitely a good thing that the hard drive and RAM can be replaced, it's definitely irritating that the battery isn't considered replaceable, even to those who know what they're doing. I'm sorry, the user should be able to replace something so basic as the battery by him/herself without voiding the warranty.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I prefer the panel because it makes it easier to replace the disk (the 15" still requires a screw driver, but it's only one screw).
Five screws.

Four of them are torx.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 09:16 AM

What confusion over a few screws!

There are indeed four torx holding the drive to the carrier. But that's the same on both MBPs. The difference is that there are two screws retaining the carrier in the bracket on the 17" vs. only one in the 15". And of course the 17" has ten screws holding the bottom case in place vs. the removable panel on the 15".

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 05:36 PM

Well, apparently it's actually pretty easy to remove the battery - Apple just tried to make it artificially difficult by using tri-wing screws. Clearly Apple's just hoping to make a little profit on the battery replacements - I highly doubt that they really cost $180.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Lo...-Unibody/618/2

I wonder if that black strip labeled "Warning: Do not remove the battery" is a piece of tape that would tear when you removed the battery, thus indicating to a tech that it had been removed?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jogi
Feb 17, 2009, 11:56 PM

If you think about the advanced technology that these batteries incorporate (flat cells, chip for intelligent charging) I think that the price is reasonable.

On the other hand the MBP 15" battery price , especially the first generation, is absolutely extortionate, as the battery would die in a year ..
Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4Ghz

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2009, 04:28 AM

The 50Wh 15" battery costs $129.
The 95Wh 17" battery replacement service is $179.

Definitely no markup over the 15". Compared to the capacity the 17" battery is actually a whole lot cheaper.

The price is not the issue. My main concern is that the shop might not have the part in stock and would want to send it in. There's no way I'd give up my MBP for a couple of days just to get a new battery.

The 17" battery should also last a whole lot longer than the 15" battery. I'm anxious to see how well that works out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules