Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Gwen Stefani Got A Recording Contract

How Gwen Stefani Got A Recording Contract (Page 3)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You think Mariah "I've sold millions of albums of just me breathing" Carey is a genius and Christina Aguilera is "fog"? What on earth are your standards for this crap?
Yeah, that kind of judgement just makes him look really stupid.

Again: Taste is not a good judge of quality.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by gulmatan View Post
So you see my point! The latter 90s up to today's music is SUBSTANDARD compared to the geniuses of the 60s--Holland/Dozier Holland, Berry Gordy. Then from the 70s--Barry White, Elton John/Bernie Taupin; Rickie Lee Jones; Joni Mitchell; Earth, Wind & Fire; Bernard Edwards and Chic; Carole King, Teddy Pendergrass, Minnie Riperton, Billy Joel. Next, from the 80s -- Chris Difford & Glen Tilbrook with Squeeze, Nick Lowe, Howard Hewett and Shalamar, Midge Ure & Ultravox, Bernard Sumner & New Order, Alan Parsons, Peter Case & The Plimsouls, Michael Omartian & Christopher Cross, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and so forth.
No! Your list proves my point that you really didn't pay attention.

But, the 90s had fewer and fewer geniuses to lead the way. Oh there were breakthrough artists like Mariah Carey and Wilson Phillips BUT after a few years until 95, the genius eroded till it became a "needle in a haystack" system in order to find the genius and artistry. Nowadays, it's more sloth and indolence like Gwen and Fergie and it's a miracle when someone like Stevie Wonder and New Order are still recording.
It appears you were listening to the wrong radio stations.

PS Disco still works. Case in point--KBIG-FM 104.3 (Los Angeles) with its "Saturday Night Disco Party" or its daily noontime Disco Lunch.
That you think it DOES again proves my point that you must be actually tasting the plastic CD or vinyl 'records' instead of listening. You are still stating your opinions as if they were facts.

80sfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 06:26 PM

I'm a little rusty on BBS etiquette so, I though, if I were to quote a post, EVERYTHING from the cited post needed to be included.

My point being that although there are artists who have international appeal and TALENT, America would rather foster indolent and impudent no-talent hacks like Green Day, Black-Eyeds Peas, No Doubt, Fergie and Gwen Stefani. Thus, REAL talent like Kylie, Davi Amarante, Amy Holland and Miki Howard get ignored and passed off.
I'm really curious, who is this Davi Amarante you talked about?

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 80sfan View Post
I'm really curious, who is this Davi Amarante you talked about?
If you look in the US iTMS, Davi is listed as "DAVINV*S". That's because his moniker on the album art is quite unusual. So, I suppose the data entry people at Apple transcribed it as "DAVINV*S".

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You think Mariah "I've sold millions of albums of just me breathing" Carey is a genius and Christina Aguilera is "fog"? What on earth are your standards for this crap?
Not quite. Christina and Bitrney still have "Left" and "Right" written on their shoes and I highly doubt they can tie their shoes as well. Maria had talent on her debut, "Emotions" and "Music Box" but alas, like others who go commercial, Mariah lost it after "Music Box" (although her Christmas album was quite listenable). Once an artist sells out, that's it!!! Artistically, they've sold their songwriting and vocal souls. Thus, once you let the public and/or marketing dictate your artistic muscle, it's no longer true artistry. That's why artists like Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, Lonnie Brooks, Nik Kershaw and so forth have niche followings. The philosophy of personal creativity overruling marketing and commercial appeal is what separates artists from marketing slaves. The true artist creates and lets those who have appreciation flock to it--let the general public be danged.
( Last edited by gulmatan; Jan 14, 2007 at 07:22 PM. )
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2007, 07:20 PM

Nothing is ever any good if other people like it!!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2007, 08:30 PM

Once an artist sells out, that's it!!! Artistically, they've sold their songwriting and vocal souls. Thus, once you let the public and/or marketing dictate your artistic muscle, it's no longer true artistry. That's why artists like Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, Lonnie Brooks, Nik Kershaw and so forth have niche followings. The philosophy of personal creativity overruling marketing and commercial appeal is what separates artists from marketing slaves. The true artist creates and lets those who have appreciation flock to it--let the general public be danged.
That's stupid, misplaced elitism. Tom Petty has had 16 Top 40 hits since 1977, with "Free Falling" reaching #1 on the "Mainstream Rock" charts in 1989. Similarly, "Into the Great Wide Open" is not a "niche hit".

"Niche following", my ass.

You just happen to like him, is all.

Nik Kershaw had 7 Top 100 chart hits in 1985 and 1986 alone. The reason he has a "niche following" is because the only people interested in him are those that remember him from when he was a MAINSTREAM POP STAR.

You're gonna have to do better, Gulmatan, because NOTHING you've said in this thread makes the slightest bit of sense, and much of it is just so obviously WRONG that you've long since passed the point of looking very silly.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 06:28 AM

Getting back on topic, I've been listening to The Sweet Escape quite a lot recently, and whilst I still think Wind It Up is annoying like anything, I've come to the decision that Early Winter and Wonderful Life are rather good songs.

Overall, I would say that Gwen Stefani may not be as good as Madonna, but she's definitely better than Kylie Minogue.

Really, why would anybody think Kylie was somehow a talented artist? She can't sing, most of her songs are crap, she's got an annoying voice, and if she didn't dress like a whore and kept shaking her fat arse at the audience, I doubt there'd be that many people who'd show up at her concerts. (Apart from the tone-deaf Aussies who don't care whether she's any good, and just like her out of misguided patriotism.)

Seriously, if I had to pick one female Australian singer, it'd be Natalie Imbruglia.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 16, 2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
Getting back on topic, I've been listening to The Sweet Escape quite a lot recently, and whilst I still think Wind It Up is annoying like anything, I've come to the decision that Early Winter and Wonderful Life are rather good songs.

Overall, I would say that Gwen Stefani may not be as good as Madonna, but she's definitely better than Kylie Minogue.

Really, why would anybody think Kylie was somehow a talented artist? She can't sing, most of her songs are crap, she's got an annoying voice, and if she didn't dress like a whore and kept shaking her fat arse at the audience, I doubt there'd be that many people who'd show up at her concerts. (Apart from the tone-deaf Aussies who don't care whether she's any good, and just like her out of misguided patriotism.)

Seriously, if I had to pick one female Australian singer, it'd be Natalie Imbruglia.
I really don't mind her new album. I can't say it's the best thing ever, but it's better than most pop music out there right now. Wonderful Life is awesome -- and apparently, that song alone was the reason Stefani wanted to release a new album. I can understand why.

Oh, and here's the new music video for her new single "The Sweet Escape."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Glx_uHo7Wh0

Very cool theme throughout the music video. Much better than Wind It Up.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 16, 2007, 12:12 PM

I swear, record companies are scraping the bottom of the barrel for recording artists and Gwen Stefani is proof. I'm sure this is how it went:

Record exec: Can you scream into a microphone?
Gwen: Yes

Record exe: Do you naturally sing off key?
Gwen: Yes.

Record exec: Is your closet filled with hooker and whore outfits?
Gwen: Yes.

Record exec: You're hired!!!

And that is how Gwen Stefani got a career.
Actually, she started in a band called "No Doubt" and the Tragic Kingdom album was pretty good. Then she turned all ghetto, and left her band, and now she dresses like a whore.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2007, 01:37 PM

I'll sum up my feelings on Gwen Stafani with this one statement - I opened this thread in hopes of pictures of her. She is hot and there is nothing else I can say. Her music now isn't as good as the No Doubt days, but the events in the video for "Don't Speak" came true, now didn't they?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 01:49 PM

You do know that "Torn" was written by a different band that was signed by the same label, and were totally elated about that fact, only to find that the label had only signed them to give "Torn" to Natalie Imbruglia and make her a superstar, and have them pretty much drop off the face of the earth?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 01:58 PM

Awesome.

Natalie is teh hot.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 02:16 PM

That "Wind it up" song makes me cringe through most of it as it sounds like a pack of drunk chips put a song together using a synth with random sound clips and beats.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
You do know that "Torn" was written by a different band that was signed by the same label, and were totally elated about that fact, only to find that the label had only signed them to give "Torn" to Natalie Imbruglia and make her a superstar, and have them pretty much drop off the face of the earth?
Poor Ednaswap.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Rumor
Jan 16, 2007, 08:52 PM

As I read through the posts, I can't help but imagine gulmatan being somewhat like Patrick Bateman.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Poor Ednaswap.
Huh - after reading that, it seems like they haven't made off *too* badly, at least writing songs for people like Madonna - presumably against appropriate royalties.

fast shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 06:58 PM

He's too old for Red Bull if he's been STUDYING THE MUSIC BUSINESS FOR THIRTY YEARS™ (HowDareWeQuestionHisExpertise)...

You'll be sorry! You'll all be so sorry!!! Danni's gonna come to your town and she's gonna rock! She's gonna rock so hard and you're gonna be sorry!

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by fast shadow View Post
You'll be sorry! You'll all be so sorry!!! Danni's gonna come to your town and she's gonna rock! She's gonna rock so hard and you're gonna be sorry!

You are so right!! Dannii's gonna rock and Kylie will further show how amazing the Minogue talent really is!!! They'll put American artists back in amateur standing!!!!
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2007, 08:48 PM

Hey Kylie was a big star in the UK long before she was one in Oz. We've only recently caught on - before that we'd cringe when you mentioned the Minogue name. I met her sister once. Pretty ordinary.

Originally Posted by G Barnett View Post
'Course, I do disagree on your assessment of Gwen -- saw her in concert with No Doubt (on tour with Goo Goo Dolls & Bush) and she's got a stage presence that can't be beat. Plus I happen to be a fan of the Roaring 20s style baby-doll voice she does from time to time.
Have you heard Gwen Stefani and Brian Setzer's cover of "Who's the Boss"? One of my favourite tunes.

"Maybe tonight I'll be the boss, and tomorrow night... I'll be the boss!"

I note he didn't mention Donny & Marie Osmond or any of the HUNDREDS of crappy disco bands or Brotherhood of Man ("Save All Your Kisses for Me") or Smokey ("Alice"), nor any of the thousands of atrocities nobody (thankfully) remembers today when speaking rave of the 70s...
Hey you leave Smokie alone! Next you'll be starting on the Bay City Rollers...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2007, 11:10 PM

gulmatan, have you been to an otologist lately? Gwen Stefani is certainly not singing off key, nor screaming into a mic, as I listen to Love Angel, Music Baby right now. I must admit I've not heard any of her other stuff, as I picked this CD at random out of my public library a few months ago, but it passes for reasonably decent pop (or whatever you kids call it nowadays; I'm almost 60), and I actually like listening to it occasionally, as I have fairly eclectic music tastes. Perhaps you should do some inner exploration and determine why you felt that you needed to get on an internet forum and just attack someone who has had absolutely no affect on your life, and why you're not in charge of your emotions enough to control them.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 11:23 PM

Standard American reply #1, #2, #3, and on through #347:

He's just jealous.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 07:41 AM

Standard American reply #1, #2, #3, and on through #347:

He's just jealous.
We just say that to aggravate the anti-USA zealots like yourself.

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 24, 2007, 10:54 AM

Ok, this thread sort of reminds of a comment a co-worker of mine once made:

He said that "Britney Spears is way better artist than David Bowie, because she sells more CD's" (how wrong he was, we weren't that lucky with him)...

No, that's quantity, not quality my good man.

What I'm trying to sday, is that not everybody has the same taste in music, and what they think is good music, somebody else might think is utterly shite. I can't really stand most of the new music, sounds to synthetic for my taste.
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules