Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need some wine recommendations...

Need some wine recommendations...
macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 02:05 PM

I am looking to stock up on some inexpensive wine, I like both red and white, not a fan of zin though. Mostly like merlot and chardonnay. can anyone recommend inexpensive wine under $15 a bottle, thanks
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

volcano
Senior User
Jan 17, 2007, 02:54 PM

If you want a good and relatively inexpensive red wine, look for something Spanish. That's what a friend of mine recommended a while back, and I've been pleasantly surprised.

Or you can be just like every other poor college student and buy Franzia. haha.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 03:34 PM

i'm no longer in college, but I did the franzia thing for a long time LOL
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 06:20 PM

yellow tail shiraz is a pretty bearable sub $8 bottle.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 06:33 PM

You can get the Mac version of WINE here:

Darwine - News

Alternatively, you can try CrossOver Mac, which is based on WINE. I'm not sure what advantages it offers over the regular WINE install (technical support maybe?), but a lot of people seem to use it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
You can get the Mac version of WINE here:

Darwine - News

Alternatively, you can try CrossOver Mac, which is based on WINE. I'm not sure what advantages it offers over the regular WINE install (technical support maybe?), but a lot of people seem to use it.
um, do you just have your posts prewritten somewhere and you just copy and paste them based on thread title?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 06:56 PM

Unfortunately, copy and paste between Mac and Windows apps doesn't work too well with WINE on OS X. For that, I'd suggest trying Parallels instead. [/color][/quote]Hi guys, I haven't figured out that CharlesS is joking yet! [quote][color=white]

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 11:47 PM

• There are a lot of good Spanish reds, look for Tempranillo or Rioja.
  • For Summer drinking I prefer whites like a Spanish Rueda or Austrian Riesling (NOT German Rieslings, however).
  • You can't go wrong with a Semillon (white) or a Cabernet Franc (red) either.
  • I have had some decent South African reds and an amazing SA white called Cederberg. It will cost you $15-20/bottle if you can find it in the States.
    (But that might be tough; There are only two places in all of NYC that carry it.)

My suggestion is find a wine bar near you and go out some night with friends. Get a variety of wine flights, with a variety of dishes to eat, and taste a lot of wines. You will quickly find out the ones you like. You do that a few times and you will have a list of 6-8 wines you like. Once you do that start looking for wines similar to the ones you like and expand your horizons. (NOTE: Similarities can be found in the grape, the vineyard, the region, or even the year.)

Salut!
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Jan 18, 2007 at 12:00 AM. Reason: for clarity.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Atomic Rooster
Jan 17, 2007, 11:50 PM

Buck five come alive.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2007, 02:00 AM

Drinking by the glass at a wine bar can skew your opinion of some wines. If they're not that popular, and have been sitting, they'll surely not taste as good as they should.

This will happen occasionally at wine bars with an extensive list of by-the-glass wines.
ice

volcano
Senior User
Jan 18, 2007, 03:47 AM

Ew, I hate Riesling of any kind. Sugar water? No thanks. I'd rather drink my Franzia

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 04:25 AM

Delicato is an excellent low-cost wine. The Shiraz and the Chardonnay are great.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Naplander
Senior User
Jan 18, 2007, 06:43 AM

For good value wine I would recommend looking for Portuguese red - cheaper than Spanish and often much nicer. I would also agree with d4nth3m4n that Yellow Tail Shiraz is a good bet - very full bodied and jucy! Look out for South African KWV Shiraz or Roodeberg - both nice.

If you can afford it, try a bottle of Sancerre - it's amazing! If not, any Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand would be worth trying too.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Lew
Senior User
Jan 18, 2007, 12:14 PM

If you can get it where you are, I can highly recommend Hungarian Irsai Oliver. It's a nice aromatic white wine that goes great with white meat. I used to work in the wine dept of my local Safeway and it was one of the most popular budget wines we sold.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 02:50 PM

Rosemount Estate Shiraz
Mirassou Merlot

OAW

Rumor
Jan 19, 2007, 06:07 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2007, 06:32 PM

Go to Pier 1 imports if you have one near you. Great place to check out cheap, but good wine, especially French and Italian where it's not unusual to get a $20 bottle of wine that's better than many of the local $80 bottles.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules