Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > USPS lousy logistics

USPS lousy logistics
kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 17, 2009, 12:11 PM

I live in Indianapolis and ordered a product from another company just 2 hours away in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. The item shipped from Ft. Wayne via USPS. It proceeded to Allen Park, Michigan and then to Cincinnati, Ohio. Hopefully it find it's way back to Indianapolis. Is there a reason for this madness. Seems like a waste for a 4 pound package.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2009, 12:12 PM

Frankly, I'm surprised you were able to get all that information from the tracking before it hit your door.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2009, 12:29 PM

I heard recently of a package going from New York to Georgia. Before getting to Georgia, it first went to California.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2009, 01:21 PM

Is their WAREHOUSE in Ft. Wayne? USPS has managed to minimize their links over the years, so that they actually do use fairly robust route selection schemes, and it is unlikely that they'd route something from Ft Wayne to Indianapolis via Allen Park (which is just south of Detroit). It makes no sense unless their warehouse (at least for what you ordered) was actually IN Allen Park and the tracking data indicated only that the shipping label was generated in Ft. Wayne.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kikkoman  (op)
Senior User
Feb 17, 2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Is their WAREHOUSE in Ft. Wayne? USPS has managed to minimize their links over the years, so that they actually do use fairly robust route selection schemes, and it is unlikely that they'd route something from Ft Wayne to Indianapolis via Allen Park (which is just south of Detroit). It makes no sense unless their warehouse (at least for what you ordered) was actually IN Allen Park and the tracking data indicated only that the shipping label was generated in Ft. Wayne.
I ordered the item from Sweetwater. AFAIK they only have a warehouse in Ft. Wayne. I suppose it's possible the item is coming from a different place. I guess I shouldn't assume I'm buying local on the internet.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2009, 05:33 PM

Was it shipped ground? If not, then there you go.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules