Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > FedEx Rant

FedEx Rant
kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 10, 2009, 10:26 PM

I've always heard FedEx was better than UPS when it comes to delivering your stuff intact. I've always used UPS and never had to file a claim. Imagine my surprise when FedEx delivered this speaker to my porch. Looks someone drove a fork lift into it. I guess they really aren't better than anyone else. I hope their claims process is efficient.

http://gallery.me.com/ronalcasid#100008

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2009, 10:44 PM

remember to take pictures of the inside packaging materials and the crush weight label of the box(es) used. Also, they'll want pictures of how the item came in the box. so repackaging it will be needed.

edit:
also the entire tracking label (sticker) on the side of the box with ALL the information clear.

Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2009, 10:49 PM

FedEx has always had inferior service in general. And either their tracking sucks or their routes are crazy: my Cinema Display apparently went from Sacramento to Reno back to Sacramento and just chilled there for days before appearing on my doorstep (I'm on the EAST coast). Then I got a delivery notification the next day.

kikkoman  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2009, 11:02 PM

I'll be taking the package to a local customer service center to have them inspect it. What's ironic was it was packed by FedEx/Kinkos.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2009, 11:20 PM

I just use the regular old post office and haven't had a problem yet.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

lexapro
Baninated
Aug 11, 2009, 12:00 AM

Post Office.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2009, 12:38 AM

Well, at least Danes don't lie.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 11, 2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
I've always heard [Delivery Service #1] was better than [Delivery Service #2] when it comes to delivering your stuff intact. I've always used [Delivery Service #2] and never had to file a claim. Imagine my surprise when [Delivery Service #1] delivered this speaker to my porch. Looks someone drove a fork lift into it. I guess they really aren't better than anyone else. I hope their claims process is efficient.
Enter any combination of FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, AIDS, etc. in the blanks.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 09:39 AM

I don't know man... UPS has effed me over so many times it's not even funny.

The last time I used them, they charged me $60 COD for a pair of snowboard boots that cost me $101. In fact, after breaking down that number with them I found that it also included a $5 "COD fee"... that's right, they charged me for having to charge me.

The time before that, I had a snowboard delivered to my place. Week and a half later I still hadn't got it, so I called up the company; they said it should've been there in a couple days. Got the tracking number, found out it was marked "delivered." Called up Fed Ex; notes said it was "delivered to the back door."

I didn't have a back door.

I went out in the back yard, and noticed a funny shape sitting on the wood pile, under a few inches of snow. Of course, it was my expensive snowboard - a week of sitting on the woodpile out back, getting buried under snow.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

hayesk
Aug 11, 2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I don't know man... UPS has effed me over so many times it's not even funny.

The last time I used them, they charged me $60 COD for a pair of snowboard boots that cost me $101. In fact, after breaking down that number with them I found that it also included a $5 "COD fee"... that's right, they charged me for having to charge me.
I'll bet you ordered UPS Ground instead of Express. That was a Customs Brokerage Fee, not a COD fee. If you order Express, you end up paying less overall because you pay a little more for shipping, but there is no brokerage fee. This works for FedEx too.

I thought this was common knowledge when ordering US stuff to Canada?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 11:55 AM

Yes exactly.

Unfortunately it was being sent to me from the States, and the seller went ground instead. I find sellers tend to do that when the price includes shipping.

The $60 fee overall was for customs, paid COD... but it still includes the $5 "because you'll be paying COD" fee. Ridiculous!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2009, 12:01 PM

Yup. FedEx Ground also charges horrendous brokerage fees, just like UPS Standard (which is also ground shipping). UPS Express does not, just like the regular air shipping for FedEx.

If I want to order from the US and they are going to ship UPS Standard or FedEx Ground, then I often choose another retailer.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 12:13 PM

As far as I see it, shipping companies are like wireless providers. They all suck in their own special way, and none is inherently better than the other. Just use the one that sucks the least for you and hope that you don't get the shaft.

jersey
Senior User
Aug 11, 2009, 12:55 PM

They all suck.

I used to work at a company that send out a lot of mail order purchases to customers. We once had UPS leave a package at an address where the home had burned down 2 days prior. Awesome.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 11, 2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jersey View Post
They all suck.

I used to work at a company that send out a lot of mail order purchases to customers. We once had UPS leave a package at an address where the home had burned down 2 days prior. Awesome.
Was a new house in the package?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 02:18 PM

To be fair, I suppose the address was still technically valid.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2009, 02:27 PM

That's really unfortunate, but at least this didn't happen to you courtesy of FedEx.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
To be fair, I suppose the address was still technically valid.
Bureaucrat Conrad you are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2009, 10:14 PM

FedEx ground is just Roadway rebranded. They stuck. Real FedEx is good but expensive. UPS is decent, but nothing to write home about. The best thing to do is just deliver it yourself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules