Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone + iPad = Overkill?

iPhone + iPad = Overkill?
Poliphilo
Sep 21, 2011, 12:18 AM

I really like the iPad but, because I already have an iPhone, I hesitate to get one.

Here are my main reasons.

1. If I update something on one (music rating, notes, calendar, etc.) I have to update it on the other or wait until I can sync both on my iMac (unless there's some kind of live inter-device syncing via WiFi.)

2. My iPad would demote my iPhone to "the mini iPad I use while I'm walking" since, whenever I'm sitting down, I'd be using my iPad. I'd feel like, "What is the point in having this thing now?" but would still need it for the phone.

3. Sometimes I would be unable to decide which device to use. Let's say I'm standing on the subway reading the NY Times. A seat becomes available. Do I now take out my iPad and find the article I'm reading? Or what if someone texts me a Youtube link. Do I manually enter the URL on my iPad for the bigger screen?

4. And am I OCD or is there something clumsy, inefficient, and inelegant about juggling two portable devices?

I would be interested to hear from owners of both about how they coordinate their digital life around these two devices...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 02:37 PM

1. iCloud should handle this.

2. Your phone would still be useful and necessary as... a phone.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 02:26 AM

90% of the time I use my iPhone, simply because it's in my pocket.

Getting only 10% use seems like an obvious "anti-sell" on the iPad, and it is, except for two things.

1) 9 of that 10% is curling up on the couch and reading. The iPhone sucks for that.

2) The iPad's battery will get you 10 times the use before it needs to be recharged. Again, one of those things you don't necessarily need all the time, but when you do, you do.

The big caveat here is whether you get good reception on your phone. I do, since I paid AT&T for an antenna, and pay for all their ****ing backhaul (a/k/a a Micro-Cell). Before this, my phone had to sit on my desk to get reception. With the phone not in my pocket, it was 90% iPad and 10% iPhone.

Edit: long distance travel is an angle too. An iPad is vastly superior on a plane, frex.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 07:33 AM

I find the iPad pretty useless on trips if I need to do any work. It doesn't even support Word. I take a laptop for that.

The ideal form factor for me would be an 11" MBA paired with an iPhone, although I don't like the high pixel density of the 11" MBA so I'm currently using a 13" MBP with 1280x800 screen. If there were a 13 MBA with the same screen I'd probably get one, but there isn't.

-Q-
Sep 23, 2011, 08:43 AM

I find my experience to be the complete opposite of Eug's. I've stopped taking my laptop on business trips and just use the iPad for most things. The iPhone still gets used for email and calls, but if I need to do work, the iPad has been fine. Don't think it's been overkill to have both devices.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 10:12 AM

It's definitely not overkill if you want a tablet. The iPad becomes a very convenient platform on the couch and other casual environments where a laptop isn't as convenient. Your iPhone or other smartphone will always be useful no matter what.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I find my experience to be the complete opposite of Eug's. I've stopped taking my laptop on business trips and just use the iPad for most things. The iPhone still gets used for email and calls, but if I need to do work, the iPad has been fine. Don't think it's been overkill to have both devices.
I take it you don't use MS Office much? I haven't purchased iWork for the iPad because my experience with iWork on my laptop is that it is not a sufficient replacement for Office.

Plus I absolutely hate typing on the iPad. I type roughly three or four times as fast on a real keyboard.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2011, 11:12 AM

I only use the iPad at homeā€¦ to read books and pdf files. There is no way I would do that on my iPhone.

-Q-
Sep 23, 2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I take it you don't use MS Office much? I haven't purchased iWork for the iPad because my experience with iWork on my laptop is that it is not a sufficient replacement for Office.

Plus I absolutely hate typing on the iPad. I type roughly three or four times as fast on a real keyboard.
I use it more often than I'd like. My office has standardized on iWork and Google Docs, but we still have a number of clients who use Office (mainly Word and Excel). We work around that using desktop virtualization tools (like XenDesktop) to give us access to Office when it's absolutely necessary, even from the iPad. I'm not using it for marathon work sessions and It does reinforce the drastic UI differences between software designed for touch and a mouse, but when I'm traveling and need to access/open something it works well.

I've gotten used to the typing, but it did take some adaptation on my rhythm to get into the virtual keyboard groove. I'm not as fast virtually as I am on a real keyboard by far, but I'm fast enough that I don't get annoyed as I once did.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 03:22 PM

For a dedicated PC user an iPad or any other tablet won't be a replacement for a full laptop or desktop PC. But tablets do what they do very well and can definitely coexist in the middle of the smartphone to high-end PC computer continuum.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bitwrangler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

Well it really depends on the types of documents you'll be creating/editing. If they have lots of formatting/formulas/charts/pp animations/etc then the iwork suite will not fill your needs. If you are doing more basic stuff, then they _may_ be suitable.

I personally find that my life has three main devices, iphone, ipad, lappie. The iphone is the goto device if I have nothing else around that's handy (quick check of the email, browsing, run an app, etc). The ipad is the go between, if I'm home, I'll usually go to the ipad to do any relatively quick browsing. If I'm mobile, then I'll use it for other things as well (apps). The lappie gets used when more hardcore stuff is required (more sophisticated content creation).

I never go anywhere without my phone, well very frequently have my ipad, and will on occasion have my lappie. Could I live without the ipad in the middle, sure, but I find that things are better with it.

I'd love to see future ipads gain more main memory to allow more sophisticated apps. If a 2GB RAM ipad with an A6/7 were to be unleashed, then I think we would truly see a profound shift away from lappies.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Poliphilo View Post
I really like the iPad but, because I already have an iPhone, I hesitate to get one.

1. If I update something on one (music rating, notes, calendar, etc.) I have to update it on the other or wait until I can sync both on my iMac (unless there's some kind of live inter-device syncing via WiFi.)

2. My iPad would demote my iPhone to "the mini iPad I use while I'm walking" since, whenever I'm sitting down, I'd be using my iPad. I'd feel like, "What is the point in having this thing now?" but would still need it for the phone.

3. Sometimes I would be unable to decide which device to use. Let's say I'm standing on the subway reading the NY Times. A seat becomes available. Do I now take out my iPad and find the article I'm reading? Or what if someone texts me a Youtube link. Do I manually enter the URL on my iPad for the bigger screen?

4. And am I OCD or is there something clumsy, inefficient, and inelegant about juggling two portable devices?

I would be interested to hear from owners of both about how they coordinate their digital life around these two devices...
They are different devices and I find I use them for different things.

Notably:

1) iPad is a bad music player. You will look like an idiot walking around with it with your earphones connected, so most people still keep their music on their phone. The iPHone is a fantastic iPod replacement, the iPad is not.

2) iPad email is awkward and the UI sucks (opinion I guess). I still do all my email on the iPhone as it's quicker to take out of your pocket, quicker to respond and basically serves the "email on the go" problem a lot better than the iPad.

3) iPad is excellent for writing. I use Pages and do all my writing on the iPad. The iPhone on the other hand is a pain to write anything of any length on.

Also, the iPad can be tethered to the iPhone using the built-in personal hotspot feature, so I find they are a dynamite combination.

leamanc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2011, 05:58 PM

The way I look at it is an iPad is not really a "necessity", nor does it fulfill a spot in your life that was missing if you already have an iPhone (or iPod touch) and a laptop already. But it's just damn cool and fun to use. I don't use mine hardly enough to justify the purchase price + 3G service, but it's nice to have when I want it.

In short, it's a luxury. If you like Apple gear and you've got the funds to provide yourself a little luxury, get it. If you don't have the cash to pay for it, then you'll be OK, too.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 09:07 PM

iPad Mail is one thing I actually like... except I never use it. It's used by my GF only, because it does not support multiuser.

OTOH, Yahoo Mail works well via the browser because it simulates an iPad email app without forcing you to install a dedicated iPad app.

---

Yeah, to me the iPhone and laptop are necessities, while the iPad is a luxury item.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2011, 11:06 PM

Perhaps obviously, it depends on the individual:

ā€¢ The iPhone fully qualifies as a necessity for phone and for emergency web access, maps, etc. But its small display is a nightmare for some eyes, like mine - meaning for routine work folks like me must also have a larger (iPad or laptop) display.

ā€¢ The laptop qualifies as a necessity for users of pro apps, dual displays, etc. However users who just browse and send emails (and there are lots of such folks) can do very well with just an iPad. As cloud usage evolves tablets will be even more all-around capable.

ā€¢ Locations have a huge impact. If one is 99% at home WiFi or work WiFi or hotel WiFi then an iPad is just a luxury. However I spent 6 months working at a location with only 3G and no tether (and eyes that do not do well with the iPhone display); in that situation the iPad paid for itself every few weeks.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Sep 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM. )

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2011, 01:43 AM

For me, the iPad has almost entirely replaced the need for a laptop at home. So each device has found it's own place depending on location.

iPhone - 90% used when out and about. However some games did have me hooked where I used it all the time.
iPad - 90% used at home or when travelling, on vacation etc.
Laptop - 90% used at work. only time i bring it home is if I bring work home.
Remaining 10% in each case is a toss up between the other two devices.

However, retina display often makes me opt for the iPhone rather than the iPad for functions/applicatoins that are common to both.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2011, 10:40 AM

It also might have to do with phone plans.

My iPhone plan is 1 GB per month for $20, and includes tethering at no extra charge. 6 GB would have been $30 but I didn't need it. Thus there is no need for me to have 3G on my iPad. That makes it superfluous for me on trips.

If I had been away from home for weeks/months with no WiFi I would have just gotten 6 GB data on my iPhone and tethered my MacBook Pro.

The iPad is my breakfast bar / living room couch machine. I'm posting from it now as I eat brunch. When I work from home though I'm usually on a desktop, or sometimes on my laptop. That breakfast bar machine used to be a G4 iBook.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2011, 11:45 PM

I have both as well (well iPad & iPod touch until Sprint gets their iPhone next month). The iPad is definitely not a 'need to have' device, but I sure do find it convenient.

1. Calendars/emails, etc should be synced whenever you are in wifi or cellular range, depending on what service you are suing. I use mobile me & that syncs all that data, plus my notes. I do believe that music ratings don't sync until you physically sync the device to itunes. I'm not sure if that will change when iCloud launches, but I also have never found it to be a big issue.

2. If you find the iPad to better fulfill your needs than the iphone, then it sounds like it would be a good purchase? If you will be carrying it everywhere, then you might be better off with a regular flip phone & the ipad. I find that there are plenty of places that the iPad is too big to comfortably carry. I always have my iPhone/iPod with me because it's small & lightweight.

3. This seems almost like you are looking for issues. Who cares which device you use really for the instances you have mentioned. I never feel any kind of angst about which device to use. You will likely find that this 'issue' will resolve itself in practice.

4. Juggling two portable devices certainly presents issues that having only one device does not have, but it also opens up other opportunities. It's a tradeoff. I use my ipod/iphone for certain uses & find my ipad better for other uses. I just got back from 11 days in Puerto Rico. I could have managed everything with just the ipod, but having my ipad made everything that much simpler (plus it allowed me to leave my laptop at home). Plus using apps like pages & numbers is miserable on the ipod/iphone, but works very well on the ipad.

The bottom line is that many people find the iPad to be a very useful device, but if you're unsure & feel like it will add unnecessary complexity to your routine, you'll probably be just fine without it.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2011, 01:44 AM

I currently use my iPhone for everything and dont bother using my laptop on trips any more. If I had a iPad I would use that because some things are just better with the bigger screen and it saves the battery life of my phone. Additionally the 2 go hand in hand with the wifi sharing of 3G meaning I don't need a data plan for the iPad. But my iPhone is always on me, my iPad still wouldn't go everywhere with me, then again if I had one I might take it anyways and leave it in the car when out and about. Its small enough and portable enough that I could do that easily every time I went out.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2011, 02:52 AM

Sometimes I would be unable to decide which device to use.
First world problems.
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The iPad becomes a very convenient platform on the couch and other casual environments where a laptop isn't as convenient.
This is how I see it. If I bought a tablet, it would never leave my house.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2011, 03:34 PM

Our iPad never leaves the house. In fact, it rarely even leaves the living room and kitchen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2011, 05:13 PM

Mine hasn't either, but that's been due to a dearth of traveling. Now I'm pissed I don't have 3G.

My lappy's a 15", so I'd much rather take the iPad. I don't need Microsoft apps for work (thank Christ) so that's not a deal breaker. In fact, I've used the HDMI adaptor to turn the iPad into a video source on the fly away from home.

Tethering's a no go too. I'd lose my unlimited and have to pay $30 a month extra.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2011, 08:34 PM

I have an iPad, and am geting the iPhone when it finally comes out.
Uses:
iPhone, whenever I'm out of the house. In addition to calls, browsing, googling, playing wordswithfriends, using it as a GPS with the Garmin app, taking pix and checking email.
iPad, at home all of the above except calls and GPS, plus reading professional literature on both iBooks and via the Kindle app. Especially useful when I'm watching a TV show, as soon as the ads come on, so does the iPad.
Neither can substitute for my 'lappy' (thanks, subego) when I'm out of town, since they don't run the apps that I need, and doing real work even on a 10" screen is hugely difficult, IMO.

A luxury? Not for me, because of the e-reader function which why I got it in the first place, and now I use it constantly.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2011, 09:16 PM

I have both, and use the iPad solely for vacations and surfing the web/watching movies on the couch/in bed. It's great. Not sure it was worth the $650 but eff it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules