Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Adam Yauch RIP

Adam Yauch RIP
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2012, 01:23 PM

Adam Yauch aka MCA of the Beastie Boys died a little while ago. Cancer got him.

MCA Adam Yauch Dead -- Beastie Boys Rapper Dies at 47 | TMZ.com

RIP dude, I will miss you.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

andi*pandi
May 4, 2012, 02:01 PM

Sadness. Young to go.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2012, 02:28 PM

RIP to MCA of the Beastie Boys. Licensed to Ill brings back so many fond memories of days gone by.

OAW

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2012, 02:32 PM

That's a damn shame, he was a young man.

I'm gonna rock out to Ill Communications today in his honor.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2012, 02:37 PM

I'm never going to hassle anyone about losing it over a celebrity death again.

Goddamn this sucks. I saw them once, Lollapalooza 1994 at SPAC, but I was all of 13 and hadn't fully imprinted on them just yet. Had it been a year later...

Thorzdad
May 4, 2012, 02:57 PM

Saw this earlier. Talk about bad news out of left field. I had no idea he was dealing with cancer. Sad loss.

Patrick
Mac Elite
May 4, 2012, 03:28 PM

Aww dude, his license to ill hadn't expired yet. Way too soon… RIP, MCA - or in his case, should that be RIB?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 4, 2012, 03:31 PM

this is the first musician to pass that I really truly loved. you could say I am a bit of a fan of the Beastie Boys

In my mind, there's no group that showed the kind of talent, the level of musicianship, longevity, and just the way a group should conduct themselves and go about realizing their artist visions quite like the Beastie Boys.

Seeing them live was #1, top priority, on my Bucket List. I'm more than a little upset I'll never be able to see them as a whole and that such a great guy had to go so soon.

"There have been a lot of people who have molded the face and history of Hip Hop over the years, but no one can deny that my three dudes from New York City were paramount in taking it from a local thing and breaking it world wide. Last saw my man at the [VH1] Hip Hop Honors Awards and he was upbeat, gracious and spiritual as always. R.I.P. to MCA...see you in the next one, brother."
-Rakim
( Last edited by abbaZaba; May 5, 2012 at 01:20 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2012, 05:44 PM

It's Steve Jobs all over again. Gets diagnosed with cancer, Tibetan "doctors" tell him to become a Vegan and use Tibetan medicine. Cancer gets worse. He finally gets surgery, chemo, and radiation, but then it's too late.

F*ck you cancer, and f*ck you "doctors" for killing people I like.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2012, 11:55 PM

Yeah, I have no issue with alternative treatments, but you damned well should be undergoing regular treatment before or in tandem. I took all manner of herbal and homeopathic remedies when I went through it, but I damned well showed up for my radiation and chemo. I believe the herbal part helped, at least to rebuild my immune system, but I sure as hell wouldn't have used it as a replacement.

RIP MCA
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2012, 01:24 AM

Sucks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2012, 04:19 AM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2012, 09:53 AM

Its a pity the deaths of Yauch and Jobs haven't brought more attention to the stupidity of alternative "medicine". Its always good to try to create positives from negative things.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Was coming to post this myself.

Click the links.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its a pity the deaths of Yauch and Jobs haven't brought more attention to the stupidity of alternative "medicine". Its always good to try to create positives from negative things.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
May 5, 2012, 04:30 PM

Extremely upsetting. They've always consistently been on my playlists.

RIP MCA.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
Sorry, whats this supposed to signify?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2012, 07:12 PM

"wanker"

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2012, 07:30 PM

Thats what I thought but I figured I'd check before I took offence.

I suppose the more polite, less hostile hippies don't tend to listen to Beastie Boys.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2012, 07:47 PM

I dunno. I don't. I thought the stuff they did with Mark Ramos Nishita on keys was pretty awesome, but it always put me off that he doesn't have the rhythmic chops to actually pull off his cool ideas.

(I KNOW I'm missing the point.)

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2012, 08:15 PM

I suppose the more polite, less hostile hippies don't tend to listen to Beastie Boys.
Score.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2012, 08:51 AM

Sorry, whats this supposed to signify?
It was my reaction to the hugely myopic view you dogmatically dropped out of nowhere in this thread.

It's not about being polite and respecting someone's opinion, it's a question of who the hell do you think you are to speak so absolutely?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2012, 10:38 AM

It was my reaction to the hugely myopic view you dogmatically dropped out of nowhere in this thread.

It's not about being polite and respecting someone's opinion, it's a question of who the hell do you think you are to speak so absolutely?
Someone with a clue. And reams of proof.
Its not lost on me that you resorted to name calling without even trying to engage in debate.

And it wasn't me who raised the point that two of the more respectable and worthwhile celebrities to die in recent years would probably still be with us if it weren't for some idiots or con-men peddling lies.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; May 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2012, 10:43 AM

[people who died] in recent years would probably still be with us if it weren't for some idiots or con-men peddling lies.
Oh, that applies to so many, many things.

Most of it belongs in the Political Lounge, though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2012, 11:02 AM

Seriously, this is a regular lounge thread, I think you PL people just crave conflict and attention all the time. Go back there to start arguments.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2012, 01:12 PM

Its not lost on me that you resorted to name calling without even trying to engage in debate.
I didn't call you names, I implied (with a visual) that it was a d*ckhead comment to make.

And you're damn right I didn't engage a debate, because not only is this a remembrance thread that I'd prefer not to sully with bickering about the merits of modern medicine while trampling on alternative forms of healing, but there's a good f*cking reason I don't venture into poli/war. A lot of that reason has roots in my frustration with motherf*ckers just like yourself (there, THAT'S some namecalling to get butthurt about) who just drive by and post something completely inflammatory and then act all sheepish when someone calls them out on it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2012, 01:50 PM

And you're damn right I didn't engage a debate, because not only is this a remembrance thread that I'd prefer not to sully with bickering about the merits of modern medicine while trampling on alternative forms of healing, but there's a good f*cking reason I don't venture into poli/war. A lot of that reason has roots in my frustration with motherf*ckers just like yourself (there, THAT'S some namecalling to get butthurt about) who just drive by and post something completely inflammatory and then act all sheepish when someone calls them out on it.
A million times yes.

Got nothing to say about MCA? Stay the hell out of the thread please. Go start a P/L thread about how stupid alternative healing is, far away from where anyone in here gives a single shit about it.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Got nothing to say about MCA? Stay the hell out of the thread please.
Whoa. Hold the phone.

I appreciate your sentiment (I really, honestly do), but this is in this the thread because it is about MCA.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2012, 03:35 PM

I stated my opinion in response to someone else bringing up the alternative medicine point, I'm entitled to my opinion and I stand by it, so I don't see anything sheepish about it. It was accurate and relevant.

I didn't invite or compel you to comment on my statement, you could have ignored it but instead thats twice now you've tried to call me names and I have yet to either stoop to your level or report you for it so which of us is really butthurt here? Maybe you should have started a thread in the PWL if you wanted to complain about my post.

Death sucks. When its someone decent or talented it sucks that little bit more and when they die years before they should have without a damned good reason, thats when it sucks the most. Thats what your stupid opinions about alternative healing do, you take the thing that probably sucks most in the universe and make it suck even harder. Bravo. Educating others when you get the opportunity is a way (if not the only way) of making it suck less by trying to prevent the same mistake from being made over and over again.
Bottom line is that this thread would be entirely unnecessary if it weren't for ignorant people with indefensible opinions who cry and shout and complain that they are being oppressed when anyone disagrees with them, making reasonable people feel like they have to tolerate ignorance or they can no longer be considered reasonable.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Whoa. Hold the phone.

I appreciate your sentiment (I really, honestly do), but this is in this the thread because it is about MCA.
Exactly. Thanks Subego.

Someone cool died who probably shouldn't have died yet. I was just trying to find some shred of a silver lining.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
May 6, 2012, 03:50 PM

Exactly. Thanks Subego.

Someone cool died who probably shouldn't have died yet. I was just trying to find some shred of a silver lining.
And your shred was completely useless and irrelevant.
Saying something even remotely relevant for a silver lining might've been like "oh he was a staunch Buddhist and he happened to pass one day before the day celebrated as Buddha's birthday".
Get over it.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Get over it.
Glass houses and all.

Edit: I don't think statements like the one I just made are really helping anything, yet I still feel compelled to make them.

So with that, I think it's time for me to show myself the door.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2012, 04:43 PM

I'm so glad this thread went in the direction it did, I truly am.

But just in case we might wann, you know, talk about MCA the rapper I'll provide one of my more favorite Beastie tracks.

Beastie Boys - Get it together (Ft. Q Tip) - YouTube

Certainly NSFW

Forum Links
Forum Rules