Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Latest Nightly Trunk has Chimera 0.6

Latest Nightly Trunk has Chimera 0.6 (Page 3)
sdagley
Nov 14, 2002, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
I have no idea about mpg/mpeg support.
The problem with mpg/mpeg movies not playing internal to Chimera is because we're not picking up the mpeg mime types from the QuickTime plugin. This should be fixed late next week.

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2002, 10:43 AM

realplayer still only plays audio and not video in news.com...

are other people still having this problem? should I reinstall realplayer?

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2002, 01:00 PM

I may have missed this before, but the 11-15 build now has the Services menu options working - ie. open selection in Text Edit. Very nice new addition. This is a nice browser. Now, if they could just figure out how to get back the video in RealPlayer I'd be a happy camper.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by sdagley:

The problem with mpg/mpeg movies not playing internal to Chimera is because we're not picking up the mpeg mime types from the QuickTime plugin. This should be fixed late next week.
Wicked! ^_^

TC
Senior User
Nov 15, 2002, 05:11 PM

I wanted to ask a question as I'm not sure if it is down to Chimera or I just haven't set something up correctly.

When I open up omniweb or explorer I can start typying as it is loading and the text appears in the location bar. In Chimera it looks as if the location bar doesn't have focus automatically when it starts so I have to wait for it to finish loading then click in the location bar or type CMD - L then type in the URL.
Being able to do it the other way seems to make waiting for the browsers to start much less painful.
Nothing to see, move along.

phrenzy
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2002, 10:02 PM

Hey all...

I reallly want to use Chimera but there is a bug in it that keeps me from being able to.

That is, on many sites (my own included) - If you have a text entry box (such as the one you use to type your message on to this board) - And that box is set to a BLACK background.

Chimera will render the background white and also the text white, making the text invisible.

You can see this at my site:

http://www.livepa.org

just go to the forum and choose start new message and you will see the second dialog box is not black.

It works fine in IE, AND in Mozilla, so it seems to be exclusive to Chimera.

Anyone know how I could go about asking them to fix this?

Thanks.

poocat
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2002, 11:07 PM

TC, that's one of my biggest complaints with chimera in day to day use. sure, there are other things, but one of the things that makes the interface frustrating to use is the way i seem to have to wait for one tab to load to be able to type in the location of the next tab. you're right, and it's also frustrating on boot. it seems like the location bar is one of the LAST things that is given priority in the program. i wonder why this is? it seems like a strange thing...

is this the way mozilla works? i can't quite figure out why i don't like it so much. perhaps this is a thing for mister anti tab himself... guy? where are you? do you think... wait, i do know what you think. you hate tabs. but seriously, is the tab implementation what locks up the browser for a few seconds when you try to open a new tab and type in a location as you're loading something in the formerly front tab?

hmm.
poocat.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2002, 12:12 AM

I like Chimera a lot, but there is a bug that really ruins it for me on my Ti667. If I close all the windows and then go under file to new window or click the dock icon for a new window it crashes. Every time. I don't see anyone else mentioning this and it doesn't happen on my roommates iMac so I must be the only one, but it's really why I am typing this on Explorer right now, it NEVER crashes for me. Anyone have a clue what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Oh and the way typing into a window like these on the forum is painfully slow on Chimera... it lags about 4 letters behind, whereas here on Explorer the typing is always instantaneous.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 12:16 AM

mrtew, do you have the latest version of Chimera? Because that typing bug was fixed (mostly) a while ago. Now its nearly as instantaneous as IE's.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2002, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
mrtew, do you have the latest version of Chimera? Because that typing bug was fixed (mostly) a while ago. Now its nearly as instantaneous as IE's.
Yeah, I even downloaded the latest nightly from two or three days ago and it's still a little slower. I guess it's really only one letter behing me, but I type really fast these days and it bugs me! I guess it's OK compared to the 'New Window' crashing bug that only I have. I also have a bug that if I open a new window when I already have one opened there are no buttons on it (Back Forward Reload etc). Just a big empty field by the location window. I am getting used to just using tabs now though and always keeping the window open and just hiding the app, so I am practically fine. I just think that if this app will ever replace Explorer or even give it serious competition (I almost have to laugh at anyone really competing will Gate$ anymore) they need to stamp out every one and find ONE name for it! I think the best name for it would be Apple iBrowse or iSurf. I sure hope they get incorporated into the OS someday!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2002, 02:51 AM

What's holding back Chimera's support of MS Outlook's web client?

I can log on to the page and see all my messages. However, I can only sometimes read my mail. When I can read the mail, usually i cannot respond to it.

Why? Is it the javascript support? M$oft wonky proprietary standards?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2002, 05:56 PM

I can log on to the page and see all my messages. However, I can only sometimes read my mail. When I can read the mail, usually i cannot respond to it.

Why? Is it the javascript support? M$oft wonky proprietary standards?
My company uses the Outlook web client, and I have no issues unless I enable pop-up blocking.
Chimera and Mozilla seems think the messages are pop-ups that need blocked, even though i've clicked an icon to get them.
Is your MRJ plugin current?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:

My company uses the Outlook web client, and I have no issues unless I enable pop-up blocking.
Chimera and Mozilla seems think the messages are pop-ups that need blocked, even though i've clicked an icon to get them.
Is your MRJ plugin current?
Excellent. Turning off ad-blocking solves the problem.

Chimera has just become my full time browser.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2002, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
...If I close all the windows and then go under file to new window or click the dock icon for a new window it crashes....

I finally figured out what was causing my crashing! It was bad Xounds prefs. Spent an hour going thru all of them until I found which one it was. I hate to knock the brilliant unsanity but Xounds has given me other problems too. All their other stuff seems AOK though. No idea why Xounds would affect Chimera though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules