Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Chimera nightlies thread

Chimera nightlies thread
SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 08:48 PM

I think we should start one thread for ongoing discussion of Chimera nightly builds. At any given time, there are 2-3 threads going about 2-3 different builds, all tracking different issues. With just one catch-all thread, we'll have just one place to go for updates. It will make it easier for us to follow the progress of certain bugs, their fixes, and the implementation of new features. Maybe it will even rival that monster OmniWeb nightlies thread!

Anyway, for those who haven't tried it, visit http://chimera.mozdev.org and test it out. Chimera has really come a long way over the past few months, and looks to have a great future ahead of it!

stevenhaddon
Dec 2, 2002, 09:03 PM

Anyway, for those who haven't tried it, visit http://chimera.mozdev.org and test it out. Chimera has really come a long way over the past few months, and looks to have a great future ahead of it!
Very true. Every time I download, I spend a little more time in Chimera.

But typing this has reminded me of one of the reasons I can't use it full time - in input boxes, the text lags behind my typing, I can see the characters appear one by one - and the cursor has some sort of weird hypnotic flicker to it...

Steve

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 03:47 AM

The 12/3 build will feature split preferences for auto-download and auto-dispatch of downloads instead of the unified pref in the current builds.

Auto-download will be enabled by default, whereas auto-dispatch will be off by default. This should make some people happy.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 03:48 AM

It will also feature a fix for the QuickTime plugin so that MPEGs will play in the browser now.
Vandelay Industries

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2002, 06:47 AM

For those who haven't noticed, you can now browse the local filesystem with 'file:///' Don't know when it was added, but it must have been recent-ish.

I've been waiting for it as I have a load of guitar tabs on my machine which I usually browse this way...

Chris

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2002, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
The 12/3 build will feature split preferences for auto-download and auto-dispatch of downloads instead of the unified pref in the current builds.

Auto-download will be enabled by default, whereas auto-dispatch will be off by default. This should make some people happy.
Just got the 12/3 build, also has new icons for the Preference panes...looks nice!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 02:36 PM

It will also feature a fix for the QuickTime plugin so that MPEGs will play in the browser now.
Yay!!! QT works now... and typing has been improved a fair amount too. These have been my main two issues with this amazing browser.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 03:13 PM

I'm running 12/3 but I don't see these pref panes

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:

I'm running 12/3 but I don't see these pref panes
That's because there isn't a GUI for them yet. Look here to see how to configure both.
Vandelay Industries

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2002, 04:38 PM

Sweet, it asks you if you really want to quit when downloading files now!

I have quit Chimera and went "Damn it!" millions of times.

-Owl

bernt
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2002, 07:08 PM

That's because there isn't a GUI for them yet. Look here to see how to configure both.
Not much help for us who ain't so "hacking-savvy"!

Care to give a more detailed description?

bernt
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Crazy69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 07:25 PM

would you mind posting a picture of the new pref icons?...im on a 56k and don't have time to d/l the new version. thanks!

Seamus
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2002, 07:37 PM

Am I the only one who can't see table background colors anymore in the recent Chimera builds? It's been like this for about a week.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by bernt:

Not much help for us who ain't so "hacking-savvy"!

Care to give a more detailed description?

bernt
Yeah seriously...if there is a prefs.js line in there, I can't find it

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2002, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
Yeah seriously...if there is a prefs.js line in there, I can't find it
Logic changed as suggested and checked in. There's no UI for enabling this pref
yet but it can be tested by adding the following line to your user.js file:

user_pref("browser.download.autoDownload", true);
user_pref("browser.download.autoDispatch", true);

If you don't have a user.js file it's a plain text file and goes in your profile
directory at the same level as your prefs.js file
edit: added both options to the quote.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2002, 11:15 PM

Bonsai

This links to Bonsai, Mozilla's (and Chimera's) source code version-control system. In particular, it's configured to show you all the changes to Chimera in the last week, relative to whenever you click on the link.

The important columns if all you're looking for is new changes are the first column (when the change was made) and the last column (what the change was).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2002, 11:48 PM

By the way, the link I posted above will only show Chimera-specific changes. However, since Chimera uses its own branch of the Gecko engine (one which is quite old at this point), these are just about the only changes which apply to it at this time.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

intastella
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 12:15 AM

I looked at Bonsai and I see something about QuickDraw! What's up with that? That have to do with some plugins?

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 12:19 AM

I was wondering if that page shows the under the hood gecko changes between builds...I don't think does..

Also if chimera runs on an old version of gecko then errrr when will it run on the newest version? I assume mozilla 1.3a has the newest version of gecko....also how much of a speed boost will we get from the newest version of gecko? I assume we should get some because mozilla is getting faster and faster as well

Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 12:26 AM

I've been using the auto-download and auto open function in the 11/26 build. I used chimera changa to activate them.

Have the recent builds improved the speed of the history pane?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Toyin:
I've been using the auto-download and auto open function in the 11/26 build. I used chimera changa to activate them.

Have the recent builds improved the speed of the history pane?
Before the 12/3 build, the auto-download and auto-dispatch were rolled into one pref. You either had both on or both off. Now you can configure each independently of one another.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
I was wondering if that page shows the under the hood gecko changes between builds...I don't think does..

Also if chimera runs on an old version of gecko then errrr when will it run on the newest version? I assume mozilla 1.3a has the newest version of gecko....also how much of a speed boost will we get from the newest version of gecko? I assume we should get some because mozilla is getting faster and faster as well
It doesn't show changes to the Mozilla trunk, since it's on its own branch. However, you will see when they pull changes from the trunk to the branch that they want to incorporate into Chimera.

They are using the 1.0.1 trunk of Mozilla because they didn't want to have to deal with Mozilla 1.2's problems in addition to Chimera's. They said once 1.2 went stable, that they would move to it.
Vandelay Industries

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 01:00 PM

May I ask what's the difference between user.js and prefs.js?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
May I ask what's the difference between user.js and prefs.js?
The user.js file is where you, the user, puts your custom configurations. The prefs.js file is automatically created by Chimera based on its current configuration. Manually changing the file may work, but you can lose the changes eventually as the file is regenerated periodically. Chimera only reads the user.js file, it doesn't manipulate it.
Vandelay Industries

Seamus
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 01:25 PM

So...no one else is getting this missing table backgrounds rendering error in the latest nightly builds? It is realllly annoying. Here's a screenshot:

Slashdot shouldn't look like this.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Seamus:
So...no one else is getting this missing table backgrounds rendering error in the latest nightly builds? It is realllly annoying. Here's a screenshot:

Slashdot shouldn't look like this.
Nope. Try removing your profile.
Vandelay Industries

Seamus
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 01:36 PM

Nope. Try removing your profile.
That fixed it. Thanks Art.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 03:48 PM

The 12/6 build will feature a new Downloads pane in the preferences. Presumably, this means no more editing of the user.js file for configuring download options.
Vandelay Industries

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2002, 04:15 PM

The 12/6 build will feature a new Downloads pane in the preferences. Presumably, this means no more editing of the user.js file for configuring download options.
The Tinderbox note for this says "clean up history panel, add new download panel." That almost made me think we were getting a Downloads tab in the sidebar ... which would be great.

Anyhow, anyone know the details?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Montanan:

The Tinderbox note for this says "clean up history panel, add new download panel." That almost made me think we were getting a Downloads tab in the sidebar ... which would be great.

Anyhow, anyone know the details?
If you look at the files that are being modified, you'll see it's in the preferences, not the sidebar. One of the modified files is mozilla/ chimera/ PreferencePanes/ Navigation/ English.lproj/ Navigation.nib/ objects.nib. So, it will be under the Navigation prefpane.
Vandelay Industries

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2002, 04:49 PM

If you look at the files that are being modified, you'll see it's in the preferences, not the sidebar. One of the modified files is mozilla/ chimera/ PreferencePanes/ Navigation/ English.lproj/ Navigation.nib/ objects.nib. So, it will be under the Navigation prefpane.
Ahh ... of course. Thanks for the clarification!

Even if it's just a prefpane improvement, it'll still make me happy ...

foamy
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 05:05 PM

I just ran into this over in a Phoenix Thread at mozillazine.org. Try adding this to your user.js file.

user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

This sets the time, in milliseconds, for the intial screen draw. The default is 1200ms. I experimented with other times, and setting it to 100 seems to make Chimera feel even faster.

Can anyone confirm this?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 07:22 PM

Bah..... I dunno why but it's the first time I'm having problems with the nightlies and this. I'm getting the old problem of IE taking control of my Internet settings as the default in the System Prefs. Mozilla and OmniWeb will both stick but not the 12/3 build. Any reason for this?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
Bah..... I dunno why but it's the first time I'm having problems with the nightlies and this. I'm getting the old problem of IE taking control of my Internet settings as the default in the System Prefs. Mozilla and OmniWeb will both stick but not the 12/3 build. Any reason for this?
The LaunchServices caches sometimes get corrupted. Do the following:

# Sometimes, on Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar), Navigator won't stick as your default browser. If you have this problem, try removing the following files:
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.UserCache.csstore (where ~ is your Home directory)
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.LocalCache.csstore
and reboot your machine.
Vandelay Industries

bhenry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 12:08 PM

Just got the 12/6 nightly - I don't see a pref pane addition?

Anyone else see it?

Originally posted by Montanan:

Ahh ... of course. Thanks for the clarification!

Even if it's just a prefpane improvement, it'll still make me happy ...

sdagley
Dec 6, 2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by bhenry:
Just got the 12/6 nightly - I don't see a pref pane addition?
It's a new tab in the Navigation pref pane.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2002, 12:43 PM

Nice addition. Now if only we could get a rounded URL box default, that would be great!

michael_l
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 01:36 PM

OK, I've dumped mozilla in favour of chimera. Apologies if this has been covered in one of the zillion other chimera threads, but how do I get it to open pdf files via preview instead of acrobat reader? I've set preview as the default app for pdf files, so I would have expected this to work automatically, but it doesn't ...

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 6, 2002, 01:43 PM

For those who dont know:

Hold command and click the toolbar shrink button. Do it a couple times to achieve your desired setup.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

sdagley
Dec 6, 2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by michael_l:
... how do I get it to open pdf files via preview instead of acrobat reader? I've set preview as the default app for pdf files, so I would have expected this to work automatically, but it doesn't ...
This should work as of today's (12/06/02) build. If it doesn't the OS doesn't think you've really set Preview as the default app for PDF files. And why aren't you using the PDF Browser Plugin? See http://www.schubert-it.com/plugin/ for info if you haven't heard of it before.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
For those who dont know:

Hold command and click the toolbar shrink button. Do it a couple times to achieve your desired setup.
Damn cool, thanks for the heads up....

michael_l
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 02:51 PM

This should work as of today's (12/06/02) build. If it doesn't the OS doesn't think you've really set Preview as the default app for PDF files.
Hmmm ... that's odd. I'm using today's build (2002120604), and double-clicking on the downloaded file opens it under preview, but still chimera insists on acrobat. I deleted my user.js and prefs.js just to be on the safe side, but no change. So are the OS and chimera looking at different things - i.e. mime type vs. filename extension - to determine the default app?

foamy
Senior User
Dec 6, 2002, 03:22 PM

I have the opposite problem. If I double click on a .pdf it opens in Acrobat Reader, but if I download one in Chimera, it opens in that POS known as Preview 2.0.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
For those who dont know:

You can also Control-Click on the toolbar to bring up a contextual menu giving you all the various options.
Vandelay Industries

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 6, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by foamy:
I just ran into this over in a Phoenix Thread at mozillazine.org. Try adding this to your user.js file.

user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

This sets the time, in milliseconds, for the intial screen draw. The default is 1200ms. I experimented with other times, and setting it to 100 seems to make Chimera feel even faster.

Can anyone confirm this?
Has anyone tried this yet??

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 10:08 PM

The LaunchServices caches sometimes get corrupted. Do the following:

# Sometimes, on Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar), Navigator won't stick as your default browser. If you have this problem, try removing the following files:
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.UserCache.csstore (where ~ is your Home directory)
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.LocalCache.csstore
and reboot your machine.
Thanks. That worked like a charm.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 12:20 AM

They're adding Rendezvous support to Chimera for Mac OS X 10.2.3 and later for tomorrow's build. The comments note that it is a work-in-progress.

Interesting.
Vandelay Industries

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2002, 02:00 AM

Rendezvous support ? what will they do with that?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 03:54 AM

Apparently, for finding local HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP servers without the need for DNS or something. I guess we'll see when 10.2.3 comes out.

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Producer:
Rendezvous support ? what will they do with that?

You can type rendezvousname.local in the location field to access web pages on your local network.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules