Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Chimera nightlies thread

Chimera nightlies thread (Page 3)
TC
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Now that 10.2.3 is out, how do we access the Rendevous support that was added? The Servers menu item that was in the Go menu isn't there anymore. Was the feature deactivated?
As clebin psted you need to put this in your prefs file:

user_pref("chimera.enable_rendezvous", true);

After doing that I see 'Local Network Services' under the Go menu. But since I don't have any servers on my network I just see an About item which takes me to the zeroconf web site.

I thought this would have picked up the web server running on my own machine? According to the bug report it should automatically find local http, https and ftp servers.
Nothing to see, move along.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I read on another thread that new builds have a memory cache instead of a disk cache for superspeed when going to pages previously loaded. You have to enable this by editing the prefs right? What's the code? Huh? .......... oh wait, nevermind. I just did it with Chimerachanga! I really love that program and especially the icon.
Originally posted by gorickey:
So do you really see a big difference, now? Do you turn off regular cache and just enable the memory cache?
Yeah, that's what I did. I think it makes it faster, especially the forward and back buttons. Try it and see what you think.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2002, 07:30 AM

whats happened to the favicons in the bookmarks??? I really miss this! Anyone know how to get 'em back?

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2002, 06:51 PM

Just a little note from a Chimera user. I used to use Mozilla as my favorite browser since it was stable and fast, although it never really felt like a OSX app, despite the excellent Pinstripe theme.

I have tried Chimera from time to time and found it uncomplete and very unstable, not fit for every day use. However the last 1-2 months, Chimera has really improved a lot. It is now very stable and has gotten the features I missed the most.

Way to go Chimera team, a really excellent browser for OSX is being born.

Sophus

rytc
Senior User
Dec 22, 2002, 12:01 PM

Chimera is a great little browser but it has one little "feature" that pisses me off. IF you click on the little retangle that brings up the toolbar with forward back etc, and then push it again to hide the toolbar, the bottom of the window rises up the width of the toolbar. Omniweb has the same functionality in terms of hiding and revealing the toolbar BUT the window size does not alter like this. Anyone know if there is someway to turn this begaviour off?

Thanks ry

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Dec 22, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by rytc:
Anyone know if there is someway to turn this begaviour off?
don't press the button
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2002, 02:05 PM

I didn't find the 12-20 build to be that great...I would suggest you guys download the latest nightly 12-22...I know there are no checkins but it is obvious that they are doing some optimizing and underthehood stuff....

I am curious why they decided to put the 12-20 build on version tracker...seems like they wanted more beta testers ie feedback...anyone know if we are going to go from .6 straight to 1.0? things are suspiciously lookin like they are racing to get something for Mac World Sanfransico...also the latest Forbes article mentions an Apple Browser as one of the suprises...(as well as videoconfercing woo hoo!)

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
.anyone know if we are going to go from .6 straight to 1.0?
Someone mentioned something like that earlier, and one of the developers wrote in his weblog that he was tired of seeing browser reviews where Navigator wasn't rated because "it's not 1.0 yet."
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2002, 03:18 PM

"Someone mentioned something like that earlier"

yeh I think that was me

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2002, 03:27 PM

"Someone mentioned something like that earlier"

yeh I think that was me
Oh! :o
JLL

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2002, 07:41 PM

I didn't find the 12-20 build to be that great...I would suggest you guys download the latest nightly 12-22...I know there are no checkins but it is obvious that they are doing some optimizing and underthehood stuff....

I am curious why they decided to put the 12-20 build on version tracker...seems like they wanted more beta testers ie feedback...anyone know if we are going to go from .6 straight to 1.0? things are suspiciously lookin like they are racing to get something for Mac World Sanfransico...also the latest Forbes article mentions an Apple Browser as one of the suprises...(as well as videoconfercing woo hoo!)
If there are no checkins in the logs, then there are no changes. No responsible developer would document only some changes and not others. The only difference in the builds since 12/19 is the build number generated by the automated build system.
Vandelay Industries

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2002, 08:32 PM

I disagree

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2002, 10:23 PM

I disagree
Well, it's your right to be wrong.
Vandelay Industries

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2002, 01:02 AM

So Art you think there have been no changes in the last week since there have been no checkins? I know there are chimera developers who read this...so they would probably know the answer...

as for as I am concerned though...that's my story and I'm sticking to it

krove
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 01:14 AM

So Art you think there have been no changes in the last week since there have been no checkins? I know there are chimera developers who read this...so they would probably know the answer...

as for as I am concerned though...that's my story and I'm sticking to it
The code is managed by software called CVS which stands for control versioning system (i think). But in any case, no changes to the code can be made without note in the system. If it says no changes have been made, then none have been made. Even the most minor of changes are logged.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

sdagley
Dec 24, 2002, 08:42 PM

The reason we asked people to start using the 12/20 nightly build is that we've made lots of changes since the 0.6 release yet most folks are still using 0.6 rather than the nightly builds and sending feedback on things long since fixed/changed. We're not quite ready to release a new milestone build yet mainly because we're trying to resolve some naming issues.

You can see ALL of the changes in CVS (for the curious here's the link to the changes in the past 7 days: http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.c...oot=%2Fcvsroot) .

Steve

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2002, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by sdagley:
The reason we asked people to start using the 12/20 nightly build is that we've made lots of changes since the 0.6 release yet most folks are still using 0.6 rather than the nightly builds and sending feedback on things long since fixed/changed. We're not quite ready to release a new milestone build yet mainly because we're trying to resolve some naming issues.

You can see ALL of the changes in CVS (for the curious here's the link to the changes in the past 7 days: http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.c...oot=%2Fcvsroot) .

Steve
Why not call Nightly build 12/20 Version 0.7?
In vino veritas.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
Why not call Nightly build 12/20 Version 0.7?
We're not quite ready to release a new milestone build yet mainly because we're trying to resolve some naming issues.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2002, 08:44 AM

Some interesting changes noted in the CVS log last night:
Add a Download Manager (bug 181167), replacing individual download windows with a single window containing a scrollable stack of download views. Downloads are not (yet) saved between runs.
Now, what about this "naming issues" thing? Is the Chimera/Navigator schizophrenia finally going to be resolved?

sdagley
Dec 30, 2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Montanan:
Now, what about this "naming issues" thing? Is the Chimera/Navigator schizophrenia finally going to be resolved?
Yes, and before we do another milestone release.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2002, 05:20 PM

That's very good to hear! Now, is there someone we can bribe to ensure consideration of a favorite new name?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2002, 12:32 AM

dp
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 31, 2002 at 04:58 PM. )

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Dec 31, 2002, 02:16 AM

This new build is dead sexy! They improved a bunch of stuff. Typing is much more responsive and services work better, and I can copy images to the clipboard, and there's a download manager. I think I'm in love.

Though OmniWeb does work better with Bingo.com. I'll live though, I like OW a bunch too

bhenry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2002, 12:53 PM

The checkin page suggested that their would be a new copy image added to the contextual menu - but I don't see it in the 12/31 build? Anyone?

bhenry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by bhenry:
The checkin page suggested that their would be a new copy image added to the contextual menu - but I don't see it in the 12/31 build? Anyone?
Ok I think I figured this out - looks like they added the copy image to the contextual menu that appears when clicking on just a jpg, but that there is a seperate contextual menu call for when there is also a link associated with it. The "copy image" is not on the one that appears with link images.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by bhenry:
Ok I think I figured this out - looks like they added the copy image to the contextual menu that appears when clicking on just a jpg, but that there is a seperate contextual menu call for when there is also a link associated with it. The "copy image" is not on the one that appears with link images.
yeah.

-Owl

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2002, 04:58 PM

There is a 'new' feature in Chimera that I don't like! My Toolbar favorites now have the site icons next to a lot of them instead of a generic little icon thingy. At first I thought it was cool, but now I think it just makes the interface look junky with all that carp up there. Is there something in the prefs or somewhere that I can modify to get the generic ones back, or preferably no icons at all, just the words? Please?

Do you see what I mean. It's all so nice and clean except for those site icons!

RH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2002, 05:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrtew:
[B]There is a 'new' feature in Chimera that I don't like! My Toolbar favorites now have the site icons next to a lot of them instead of a generic little icon thingy. At first I thought it was cool, but now I think it just makes the interface look junky with all that carp up there. Is there something in the prefs or somewhere that I can modify to get the generic ones back, or preferably no icons at all, just the words? Please?

Mr Tew:
That bothered me also, the only way that I have been able to fix it is by downloading chimerachanga from Versiontracker and by pasting this into the custom box at the bottom.

user_pref("browser.chrome.favicons", false);

That should fix it for you. Its worked great for me.

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=17136&db=mac

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2002, 05:28 PM

mr.tew, any chance you could release those icons? They are awesome. if you have an url I would be VERY grateful.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2002, 05:32 PM

user_pref("browser.chrome.site_icons", false);

This will disable all favicons, including the icon in the location field.

This will only disable the favicons for bookmarks.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2002, 05:36 PM

That bothered me also, the only way that I have been able to fix it is by downloading chimerachanga from Versiontracker and by pasting this into the custom box at the bottom.

That should fix it for you. Its worked great for me.

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=17136&db=mac
Actually, you can simply paste that into the user.js file in your Chimera profile. If user.js does not exist, simply create a text file with that name. It is located in ~/Library/Application Support/Chimera/Profiles/default/[saltedname].slt/
Vandelay Industries

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2002, 06:09 PM

I put the metal buttons and window frames on my iDisk. I don't remember where I got them and I've changed a couple of them and added a few since there were none for new tab and close tab at the time. Grab them here...

http://homepage.mac.com/mrtew/.cv/mr...l.dmg-link.dmg

And thanks for the icon help! Doesn't it look better now! I edited the generic icon thingys to be one pixel big and transparent. They're gone!!!!

After:

Before:
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 31, 2002 at 07:14 PM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2002, 08:06 PM

Chimera is brilliant but one thing I like in IE is when you click that button on the top right (to remove the buttons) it gives you back, forward and refresh in little buttons down the left hand side. if Chimera had that ... because I like having lots of website and little buttons.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 01:20 AM

And thanks for the icon help! Doesn't it look better now! I edited the generic icon thingys to be one pixel big and transparent. They're gone!!!!
At first I thought your post was goofy. I thought the favicons were kinda cool. But after some thought, I decided to do the same thing you did and like it plenty fine

Oh yea, if you want the favicons to show up in the tabs and address bar, but not the bookmarks themselves, do this:

browser.chrome.site_icons true
browser.chrome.favicons false
( Last edited by Dale Sorel; Jan 1, 2003 at 01:28 AM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 02:54 AM

The reason we asked people to start using the 12/20 nightly build is that we've made lots of changes since the 0.6 release yet most folks are still using 0.6 rather than the nightly builds and sending feedback on things long since fixed/changed. We're not quite ready to release a new milestone build yet mainly because we're trying to resolve some naming issues. Steve
I'm glad you guys posted that on the Chimera website. I was one of those using the 0.6 release and hated it. It was crashing all the time. The 12/20 build is much improved although it still crashes. I'm typing this on the OmniWeb browser because I've had Chimera crash twice within the last two hours. Good luck and keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to the next milestone.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
Chimera is brilliant but one thing I like in IE is when you click that button on the top right (to remove the buttons) it gives you back, forward and refresh in little buttons down the left hand side. if Chimera had that ... because I like having lots of website and little buttons.
Cmd-click on the button multiple times and you can get smaller icons, icons only, text only and so on.
JLL

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2003, 06:15 PM

Hi there.....can you explain a bit more about where exactly to put these files? I really like the metal look. Thanks.

I put the metal buttons and window frames on my iDisk. I don't remember where I got them and I've changed a couple of them and added a few since there were none for new tab and close tab at the time. Grab them here...

http://homepage.mac.com/mrtew/.cv/mr...l.dmg-link.dmg

After:

Before:
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2003, 06:29 PM

Unrelated question, Steve.

When I have URLs in history, I can do a Command-L to the location window, type a few letters and hit return to go to a site. However, if the site isn't in history (but "is" in my bookmarks), I can't do the same.

In other words, I still have to use my mouse to access a "newly accessed" bookmark. Do you plan on addressing that?

Steve
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

sdagley
Jan 1, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by William_F_House:
Unrelated question, Steve.

When I have URLs in history, I can do a Command-L to the location window, type a few letters and hit return to go to a site. However, if the site isn't in history (but "is" in my bookmarks), I can't do the same.

In other words, I still have to use my mouse to access a "newly accessed" bookmark. Do you plan on addressing that?
You can assign a keyword to a bookmark which can be used as a shortcut in the location field. Adding a search of all bookmarks for URL autocompletion sounds like a useful enhancment though. You should file it as a Chimera feature request at bugzilla.mozilla.org.

Steve

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by William_F_House:
Hi there.....can you explain a bit more about where exactly to put these files? I really like the metal look. Thanks.
Yeah, they go within the Navigator application itself. ctrl-click on Navigator and select Show Package Contents from the menu that pops up. Inside the contents folder you will find a resources folder where all those buttons go. And inside that is the English folder where the browser.nib goes if you want the full metal look. It's really easy.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 10:25 PM

Well, since my last post not more than 24 hours ago, I have had Chimera (12/20 build) crash 3-4 times on me under 10.2.3. I've also had OmniWeb crash 1 time. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Well, since my last post not more than 24 hours ago, I have had Chimera (12/20 build) crash 3-4 times on me under 10.2.3. I've also had OmniWeb crash 1 time. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Well, it might be because Chimera is still a beta. Of course, to find any sort of actual cause, you might want to give more info about the crashes and what you were doing when they happened.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Well, it might be because Chimera is still a beta. Of course, to find any sort of actual cause, you might want to give more info about the crashes and what you were doing when they happened.
Yes, I agree that because it's in beta mode it's more prone to crashing. As for specifics, I browse the same sites I have always browsed (CNET, Edmunds, MacNN, Yahoo, etc.) I also allowed "TalkBack" to report the crash back to the Chimera team. I'm sure they are working hard to correct these problems.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 02:03 AM

That's wierd. I've had it for a while and it's only crashed once. I told a friend to check it out (newly switched) and he's love chimera. He said however, that it crashes on a few of his frequented sites.

Seems it's either particular coded sites, or certain machine setups as I don't have the issues.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 02:08 AM

Question to chimera guys- If downloading a file I close the downloading file window, does that cancel the download? I always do this in IE cause i hate seeing the window and i like it to pop every new download. But when i do this in chimera, the file never seems to appear on in my downloads folder.

Also-when do we get spell check and smaller pull down menus
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
That's wierd. I've had it for a while and it's only crashed once. I told a friend to check it out (newly switched) and he's love chimera. He said however, that it crashes on a few of his frequented sites.

Seems it's either particular coded sites, or certain machine setups as I don't have the issues.
I think you're right. It is certain sites that cause Chimera to crash. Because almost all the crashes have been on the same sites.

sdagley
Jan 2, 2003, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Question to chimera guys- If downloading a file I close the downloading file window, does that cancel the download? I always do this in IE cause i hate seeing the window and i like it to pop every new download. But when i do this in chimera, the file never seems to appear on in my downloads folder.
If you're using a build that opens a seperate window for each download in progress then closing a window cancels the download associated with that window. The newer builds have the "download manager" functionality of showing all downloads in one window which can be closed without canceling active downloads.

sdagley
Jan 2, 2003, 04:48 AM

I think you're right. It is certain sites that cause Chimera to crash. Because almost all the crashes have been on the same sites.
If a site crashes Chimera repeatedly please file a bug at bugzilla.mozilla.org or make a note of the site that crashed when you file the Talkback report on the crash. You _do_ have the latest Flash plugin (6.0r67) installed right? Earlier versions of the Flash plugin are known to crash Chimera.
( Last edited by sdagley; Jan 2, 2003 at 04:57 AM. )

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2003, 11:46 AM

Ah, yes! I just downloaded the latest Flash player and I can finally view Aint It Cool News without crashing Chimera!

jwblase
Senior User
Jan 2, 2003, 03:24 PM

I kinda like the new download manager. However, how does one automatically delete the completed downloads from the window? I don't like looking at them, especially when I have lots of things downloading at once.

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

Forum Links
Forum Rules