Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What's Up With Chimera?

What's Up With Chimera?
Seamus
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 06:56 PM

The nightly builds have not changed at all for almost two months now...I know the developer was kind of discouraged because of Safari's release, but I'm still using the browser and would hate to see development halted. Are any new betas expected soon?
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Seamus:
The nightly builds have not changed at all for almost two months now...I know the developer was kind of discouraged because of Safari's release, but I'm still using the browser and would hate to see development halted. Are any new betas expected soon?
According to the developers weblog (Pinkerton)...

http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/pinkerton/

Chimera, now known as "Camino" was due out last week once the name change officially made it through the legal processes and was going to be deemed version 0.7....so not sure what the hold up is now besides "legal" crap.

I agree, I miss the fun filled nightly changes.

sdagley
Feb 27, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by Seamus:
How do you figure two months w/o change? The last checkin was on February 19th which has been a while but it's certainly less than 2 months. If you download the current nightly build you'll effectively have 0.7 except for the name change.

As for what's going on, as Pinkerton has blogged we're waiting on legal approval to change the name to Camino before we release 0.7. Make that still waiting. Once that happens, the 0.7 build will be officially released and we'll be moving development to the Mozilla trunk. That allows us to pick up the huge number of improvments that have been made since the Mozilla 1.0 branch (which Chimera/Camino thru 0.7 is based on).

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by sdagley:
How do you figure two months w/o change? The last checkin was on February 19th which has been a while but it's certainly less than 2 months. If you download the current nightly build you'll effectively have 0.7 except for the name change.

As for what's going on, as Pinkerton has blogged we're waiting on legal approval to change the name to Camino before we release 0.7. Make that still waiting. Once that happens, the 0.7 build will be officially released and we'll be moving development to the Mozilla trunk. That allows us to pick up the huge number of improvments that have been made since the Mozilla 1.0 branch (which Chimera/Camino thru 0.7 is based on).
Yeah, that new branch is going to bring ALOT of goodies to Camino indeed.

Any new icons being developed/splash screens for the new name?

Thanks.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2003, 09:46 PM

Apple has either written off Chimera or has never heard of it.
This is from a survey I took yesterday.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 09:57 PM

Your response should haev gone in other. They also didn't put in Mozilla or iCab.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2003, 10:13 PM

They mentioned all the browsers that don't have "tabs"....

ARENA
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Apple has either written off Chimera or has never heard of it.
This is from a survey I took yesterday.

Well, Chimera was one of the examples in the last Keynote, Steve mentioned it a few times comparing it with Safari. So i think it might not be in the list due it's branding change.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Apple wouldn't be doing itself any favors by omitting Chimera--they need to know what their customers are using, whether they're happy about it or not, or else this kind of research is a waste of money. I would think there must be a reason for the omission other than pique.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 02:37 AM

The ones they didn't mention are the ones that aren't backed by commerical organisations.. what context was this survey in?
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2003, 04:09 AM

Isn't everyone forgetting that the head developer of Chimera has been an Apple employee for quite some time and is a head developer on the Safari team? Apple certainly knows about Chimera.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JLL
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Netscape and Opera have tabs (and Safari, but you're not supposed to know that ).
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
The ones they didn't mention are the ones that aren't backed by commerical organisations.. what context was this survey in?

It was just a survey that said it was for buyers of the new TiBook. It had about 10 questions like the one I posted... one was what email program do you use most, one was what Adobe apps, one was do you boot from OSX or OS9 etc. I just thought it was freaky that the Browser question had a checkbox for Opera, a browser that most people have never heard of, but didn't even mention Chimera, which is still the best browser ever!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by sdagley:
Once that happens, the 0.7 build will be officially released and we'll be moving development to the Mozilla trunk. That allows us to pick up the huge number of improvments that have been made since the Mozilla 1.0 branch (which Chimera/Camino thru 0.7 is based on).
And once that happens, you'll probably see me switch back to Camino from Safari. I love link auto-completion.

Just wondering, though, is there any way to get Gecko to use NSTextViews instead of the standard Gecko text widget, similar to the way Safari does it? The text widget behavior is the one thing that bugs me about Chimera/Camino...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Just wondering, though, is there any way to get Gecko to use NSTextViews instead of the standard Gecko text widget, similar to the way Safari does it? The text widget behavior is the one thing that bugs me about Chimera/Camino...
I agree with you, and yes it is possible and it's on the Camino To-Do List .. but prob not till afer 1.0 or so I am told.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=148098

If you think it should be higher priotiy, send feedback to the dev group.

[email protected]

or write the patch and send it in to the group. A very welcome solution
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

passmaster16
Senior User
Mar 2, 2003, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by zorn:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=148098

If you think it should be higher priotiy, send feedback to the dev group.

[email protected]

or write the patch and send it in to the group. A very welcome solution
you can also place a vote at the bugzilla link, but i think the developers know that this is a big issue with Camio, they just haven't implemented a solution yet

Forum Links
Forum Rules