Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HIDDEN window in Mozilla

HIDDEN window in Mozilla
pdot
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 06:10 PM

I was using Mozilla just now and noticed that when using Expos�, there is a hidden window that I can't get rid of. Is this normal or a serious a security concern? I'm afraid to use it now for serious stuff.

Just checked, Firebird has this hidden window too.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 06:35 PM

No hidden window with Camino.

I don't use mozilla or firebird though, so I can't confirm or deny the presence of the hidden window there.
cpac

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 07:10 PM

Yeah I have noticed this in Mozilla 1.5

When using Expose, a small window, about 20x20 pixels becomes shown, called "Hidden Window". Clicking on it makes it disappear.

Weird.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 07:58 PM

I just had something weird happen with Firebird. I had unplugged my PB from the network to go somewhere. Once I reopened the lid and woke the machine up, although still disconnected from the network, I had a message that "Mozilla Firebird - bin" had crashed.

Strange thing is that Firebird was still running. I dug around in the Package Contents and found it. It's basically the Unix Executable file. This is the first time I've had that happen though.
( Last edited by NeXTLoop; Nov 20, 2003 at 08:04 PM. )
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

sdagley
Nov 21, 2003, 01:47 AM

In Mozilla the menu bar is assoicated with a window. So that there will be a functional menu bar when all visible Mozilla windows are closed a hidden window is created to be associated with the default menu bar. I don't recall how we make the hidden window not appear in the Dock's list of windows for an app but obviously Expos� doesn't honor that scheme.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2003, 10:37 AM

Yes. I've noticed this too. I think Firebird does the same thing. Camino does not since its not based on the same front-end as Mozilla & Firebird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules