Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > anyone using the dension icelink in their car?

anyone using the dension icelink in their car?
ph0ust
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 11:07 PM

hiya. is anyone using the icelink, by dension (http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...=375&Itemid=79), to directly connect your ipod to your car stereo? i am considering this and am hoping to get some real world feedback. thanks!

otter2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 03:45 PM

I thought that the icelink seemed interesting, but they didn't have any applications for my particular reciever or ipod (1st gen). Instead I ordered a reciever that has inputs, an adapter and I installed it all this afternoon in about an hour. I have a direct link to my ipod and I'm very happy overall.
By the way-your cd reciever is compatible if it has connections for something like a cd changer. Most newer ones or more expensive older units have this.
Hope this helps.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Jul 10, 2004, 02:04 PM

my audi has one of those lame giant, stock headunits that is damn near impossible to replace elegantly. it does have an aux input on the back for a changer, and i have considered getting something like the blitzsafe adapter to wire the thing myself. the one thing i like about the icelink though is that i get control over the ipod with my stearing wheel controls (albeit limited...) thanks for the input.

Originally posted by otter2:
I thought that the icelink seemed interesting, but they didn't have any applications for my particular reciever or ipod (1st gen). Instead I ordered a reciever that has inputs, an adapter and I installed it all this afternoon in about an hour. I have a direct link to my ipod and I'm very happy overall.
By the way-your cd reciever is compatible if it has connections for something like a cd changer. Most newer ones or more expensive older units have this.
Hope this helps.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2004, 09:41 AM

from http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/stories/S17703.html#storytop :

Jim Prete sent a long mail with installation comments (and praise) for the Dension ICELINK iPod 3G/iPod Mini adapter for autos (including but not limited to BMWs) that supports DSP and NAV equipped cars, which the Apple/BMW adapter doesn't.

" Hi Mike, ...I have a tip that I wanted to share with our community..
I just completed the install of the Dension ICELINK for a 40GB 3G iPod and wish to share the results with our community.

Dension makes adapters that allow your iPod or iPod Mini to be controlled and played via your car's existing radio if such radio was originally equipped with the ability to control a remote, multi-disc changer (most modern cars). Please see the link for more info (instead of me repeating it!).
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...nt=view=375=79

Please be aware that I am not associated with Dension in any way, rather that this info is valuable to our Mac community.

I installed two kits, one in a 2002 Mini Cooper S and another in a 2000 BMW M5.

The kits are complete with everything you need, the instructions are a little obtuse but the tech support was excellent.

The kits are based on the specific car you own in addition to the type of sound system in the car. For example, if you have a Premium Sound System, it might include a DSP (Digital Sound Processor) which requires an additional adapter from Dension. After selected the correct kit for your car, you also need to purchase a mount for the dock that works for your specific car.

It took about 15 minutes per car to install everything, the BMW was longer as I had to run a short cable to the battery to supply power to the DSP converter that was part of the kit.

Two calls to tech support (one for each car) and everything worked perfectly.

When you start the car, the iPod starts up (if your radio is set to the CD Changer), when you turn off the car, the iPod turns off. You can advance the track using the track button on your radio (or your steering wheel if your car is so equipped). The dock also charges the iPod.

This is a much better system than the Apple offered solution. Why? First off, Dension supports many brands, not just BMW. Two, the Dension system has options for DSP and NAV equipped cars, Apple does not. Three, the dock allows the iPod to be positioned for easy access (and quick removal when leaving the car), the Apple version hides in the glove box (don't try to select additional music while driving!).

Sound quality is excellent, the improvement over the iTrip (in the mini) and the tape adapter (in the M5) can not be overstated.

As I said earlier, the tech support was friendly, helpful and spot-on in diagnosing the issues I had. They also have excellent recommendations as to how to route the wires for the various cars supported so call them first in any case.
So there is my two cents! Enjoy!
Jim P.

HTH,

-- james

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2004, 01:07 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting compatability with aftermarket Alpine head units. Once this is available, both Apple and Dension gain another happy customer.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 02:15 AM

hmmm... that is a pretty good review. i was questioning whether it would be worth the extra expense, but now i am intrigued again. the one thing about normal adapters i don't want is the use of the audio out connection on the top, while needing to use the car charger plugged into the bottom.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
I'm eagerly awaiting compatability with aftermarket Alpine head units. Once this is available, both Apple and Dension gain another happy customer.
The wait is over. Well...almost...

Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod to ship this fall
Wednesday, June 23, 2004 @ 3:55pm

Alpine today announced it would ship its Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod (model KCA-420i) this fall with a target retail price of $100. First introduced in January 2004 at CES, the interface enables users to "experience superior sound tuning and control of their iPod music using any of Alpine's 2004 Ai-Net in-dash head units." Alpine's Interface Adapter for iPod enables users to access the in-dash receiver's exclusive Bass Engine technologies for better sound quality and control of their digital music files in the car.

The solution allows users to control iPod playback using the head unit's front panel buttons or remote; view song information (artist, album and/or song name) on the display; and easily find tracks through the receiver's Quick Search interface. Alpine is also integrating exclusive MediaXpander technology, which restores lost detail to compressed digital media, according to the company.

The adapter features a hide-away design and can be installed anywhere in the vehicle, including under a seat, in the glove box or behind the dash. A single cable connects the adapter to the Alpine head unit, while a second cable connects the adapter to the iPod through the iPod dock connector. Alpine says the the iPod then acts like a plug n' play hard drive controlled by Alpine's rotary knob control. The Interface Adapter also charges the iPod's internal battery when the vehicle is powered on.

The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod will be available through Alpine Authorized Dealers early this fall for $100 and is compatible with any iPod mini (firmware version 1.1) and iPod (firmware version 2.2) with a dock connector. Alpine's 2004 Ai-Net head units, sold separately, are available through authorized dealers at target retail prices starting at $200.
Apple user since 1987

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 01:54 PM

Sounds great... except i'd have to buy a new head unit, iPod, AND an expensive adapter. I'll hold out for the dension one since it should work with my current alpine.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 01:59 PM

Actually, the rumor on the street is that it will work with any Ai-Net compatible Alpine head units. Of course, you have to have an iPod with the dock connector, but that's a no-brainer.
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules