Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac G5 Damaged

Powermac G5 Damaged
auero
Dec 26, 2004, 05:46 PM

So here is the story. I bought a dual 2.0 ghz powermac g5 from Compusa in July (towards the begining) with applecare. So I turned it on, I noticed a small sound but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or not... I haven't heard the dual 2.0ghz in a quiet room ever at the time. So I decided to wait until school starts to hear the G5's there. The sound I was hearing was a hum, very loud at times which gave me horrible head aches. It got to the point where I put it to sleep because I could still hear it in the living room if I were reading a magazine while the house was quiet. So I called Apple Support. The lady said to go to a compusa or apple store, whatever. Just to get it fixed. So I went to compusa seeing as the Apple store isn't just around the corner for me really.

I put it on the desk at compusa and told him that I spent WAY too much money to get this thing damanged. I told him to inspect the machine and write it was in perfect condition on my sheet. So he did. Well one week goes by. No call nothing. Then a week and two days later I get a call from the tech and saying that there is nothing wrong, all tests were taken and it passed. I said do it again, I know there is a sound and I'm not the only one who hears it. I thought perhaps since it was loud in the back room he couldnt hear it. So he runs them again and calls me on my cellphone for the second time. He said nothing is wrong and if I want to come down and hear it I could. So even though I had a lot of things to do that day, I went down because I wanted this done ASAP. I go there and he turns it on. I say to him "Are you kidding?" He says "What?" I said "You don't hear that?" and he said "No". So he said fine lets go to the display model and listen. We get there and he says "Wow your right. That's a lot quieter" So he said fine and said he would order the power supply as Apple told me to get that switched. I leave the store at 4:40-4:43, somewhere around there.

I get home and there is a message from none other then compusa. I check the time and it says 4:45. I say thats odd I just left around there. I listen to it and he said "oh thank god I reached you, I cant get the part, come pick up your machine." So now, I'm just plain ticked off. I went to work that night very angry because compusa is also about 30 minutes away so I have to take time to go there AGAIN.

I went there with my Mother to pick it up. (I'm almost 17 and at my age they might not take me so seriously) He takes the machine and puts in on the desk. What do I see? SCRATCHES. All over the side panel. A line of paint on one of the edges as if something were to hook on to it and he pulled(you could actually see the aluminum underneath) and on the front there is like a dent with the paint off as if it crumbled or something" So I say "I didn't do this and it was in perfect condition when I brought it in" I told them I want to speak with the manager. They get me the manager of the department and he tells me "This happens" and says that "He wouldnt suggest bringing Apples here because he doesn't have a padded work area" (Like I would honestly know what is done in the back there) and he looks at the scratches on the side panel and tells the guy to get a panel off the other G5 on display. That takes him about 10 minutes because there is a barcode on the panel and he has to take that off. I know there is one because I've seen it while I was there once. So he brings the panel and he says "Its a little dirty but you should be able to clean it off" and you could see an outline of where the barcode was on the sticker and now my mom is angry with him. She said there was no scratches when we got it and that the dirt or whatever that is WILL NOT come off the panel. Not only that but its also scratched. So the manager of the department says "This happens, I can't do anything". Now I'm about to flip on the guy because he is talking stupid. I told him "How would you feel if you paid $3,000 for a computer and bought insurance on it because you were told that no matter what would happen, you'd either get a new machine or it would be fixed ASAP and not only was NOTHING done but also the fact that it was all scratched up." I told him "This isn't a piece of garbage HP or Compaq that you can just toss around thats made of cheap plastic" So as more and more customers are waiting I'm just flipping out because I just lost my cool with what he is telling me. I printed out a bunch of stuff from apples forums where people said they got their power supplys changed up to 3 times to get it fixed if not more. He tells me its like a car, everyone is different and will sound different. He said he can't change it because that would be a waste to do it 3 times and it might not be it when you can HEAR its coming from the power supply. Well guess what, this isn't a car and 5 out of 5 G5's at school do not sound like that not even if they are all turned on at once and neither does the display model. So he pauses and just stands there. My mom said so get a new panel and I was expecting something more with that. He tells me he cant order it, I have to order it through Apple. Telling me I can order something that he can't. Plus the fact I WILL PAY FOR IT. Which is stupid! I didn't do this. This is not my fault. They were responsible. So I got him and he pauses for honestly like 5 minutes he stands and he doesnt say anything, I say nothing and neither does my Mother. All that comes out of him is "I don't have an answer" so he says let me get the store manager after 45 minutes of waiting and aruging.

He comes back and tells me that the manager left already and he will be back tomorrow. I said I'll come sunday because I knew that I'm going to be busy Christmas Eve. I went back today (sunday) and he says oh hes not there but I told him to discuss about it with someone on what to do. So that made me somewhat feel better and he is supposed to call me when he gets any word of what is going on.

So my question is...

What the heck should they do? I would expect a new machine from them. I will not accept a scratched up/banged up machine which still is making that noise. I do not want ram or extra hard drive space, I want a new machine if anything. Never EVER buying another mac at compusa. When I got my applecare the guy said that no matter what is the problem, they will fix it. Bull! They didn't do anything but make matters worse. They just don't understand that this is very expensive. I worked my butt off all year to just get more than half. My mother was kind enough to give me extra money and let me pay her back for my birthday.

Opinions? I'm sorry if there are typos but I'm really angry as you can imagine and I have no option but to use a pc. I love my mac

If you would like to hear the sound...
http://delete.nrgservers.net/temp/hum.avi

Its louder then in the video and is very very annoying. As I said I got headaches from it sometimes.
( Last edited by auero; Dec 27, 2004 at 06:59 PM. )

auero  (op)
Dec 26, 2004, 05:48 PM

Also, I am planning on contacting the District Manager if no word from them soon. I also plan to call apple tomorrow or when I get word as well. Till then the machine is staying at compusa because I don't want them turning and saying I caused the damage.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2004, 06:07 PM

Wow, that is really irritating. Maybe one or a couple of the fan are FUBAR'd? Hopefully you get the **** straightened out with CompUSA. Good luck!

brucejy
Dec 26, 2004, 10:31 PM

First of all, I think that your mother should get very involved, in that you are a minor. Next, document all damage with pictures and a list. Then, write a numbered, lined legal narrative of your experience. Then, include all supporting documents, number the documents. Then, write a "findings of fact," inwhich you detail your complaint with references to each document (i.e., Computer bought on this date, Enclosure 1, line 5, Enclosure 2, Bill of Sale). I would also include a CD-ROM of the annoying whine. Next, (your choice) either hire a lawyer and take the document, then go with the lawyer to the district manager's office -or- have the lawyer guide you at this point. Also send a complete copy to Apple Care, which may help immensely, as they will likely intervene if you have all of your documentation available. If you put this document in a Word file with the avi of the whine embedded, that may help.

My brother is a lawyer, and I have read a number of his suits. Your narrative is very similar, althought the stakes are much lower. It appears that you are entitled to "actual damages," depending on your state. Do not let the computer store turn this over to small-claims court, which may be arbitrated. Do not let a store manager show you some agreement in which you agree to arbitration, as such forms are often not allowed by law and are not part of a reasonable expectation of expert work. That is, the Apple tech HAD to have been Apple certified, did he not? Don't Apple techs have to have an Apple-approved workspace? Do you have the reasonable expectation of expert work when referred to an Authorized repair person? Etc, etc.

Next, do not get angry. Realize that the tech may have been fired already. Even though you are 16, you might want to let the adults take care of this, as the amount is in excess of a few thousand dollars and law may limit your ability to act as a minor person. You can, however, put all of the douments together and guide the adults. It appears that you are very bright. Best of luck. Let me know what happens.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2004, 10:50 AM

It sounds like you have a well adjusted perspective on the situation. Rather than demonizing the people involved, you address the problem with the computer directly.

At this point you should settle for nothing less than an immediate replacement or full refund. The G5 costs as much as it does partially because of the nice looking case. Scratching the case is as unacceptable as having a car come back from the dealer with one side all scratched up. If the scratches are no big deal, then compUSA shouldn't have any problem in giving you a non-scratched machine and keeping the scratched one themselves.

Accept nothing less than a full refund or exchange. At the same time, try to remain calm as it will help ensure that you get what you want. Just make absolutely clear that you purchased a new G5, not a scratched up one.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 02:29 PM

Get it replaced immediately!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 06:53 PM

Unless you get REALLY lucky, chances are you won't get your g5 replaced............

UNLESS you forget the **** about compusa not being responsible (they'll possibly try to deny it) and go the **** after them.

Hrm, then again, who else would be O_o heh.

I had 2 parts of a story like this.. it's funny, but you might as well have a little laugh here. Way back when, I had all sorts of problems with CompUSA myself, but they tended to do the same things, and even worse we had to rely on a friend to drive us out there, who was pretty sporadic, so it was a losing battle.

Eventually I got them where it hurt (after calling the manager an idiot and demanding him to fix everything I complained about) -- they replaced almost everything in the machine.,...

One day, in leiu of some video card problems, I took my g4 to the newly opened apple store at bay street for service, after getting in an argument with the manager about my monitor, I ask to speak to the manager...

"I am the manager!"
"Yeah Some experience too!"
"I have experience, I used to work at compusa in concord as the manager!"

Oh yeah, he even admitted to working there at the time I brought my machine there.. whoops!

One problem though: The manager was a woman, who was much nicer looking that's for sure!
( Last edited by Link; Dec 27, 2004 at 07:04 PM. )
Aloha

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 06:58 PM

I've seen so many horror stories of situations that arise when someone buys a Mac from the likes of CompUSA or other such big-box stores, it makes me very reluctant to buy from anywhere other than a physical Apple Store. Not that doing so is a guarantee of a risk-free experience, but it seems like going to one of these other places makes it a three-way interaction between the customer, Apple customer service, and the retailer whenever something goes wrong.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 07:05 PM

What ya do, is buy from apple, first off they do EDU discounts, and ADC discounts!!

But buy with a credit card, that way if they get you in a similar situtation you can get the credit card company to refund the charges...

No 3rd parties hurt, apple gets their own crap right back at em.

BTW: CompUSSR was responsible for striping several screws in/on my machine, none of which was ever fixed by apple even though I nagged them to
Aloha

ScottHall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2004, 12:38 PM

What any customer should do, if you are not receiving the service that you should expect, is to escalate your problem up the management ladder. In this case, the Director of Technical Services for the given territory can help. While Robert's problem is not a store that I cover, we'll either get his unit repaired or replaced.

Scott Hall
Director of Technical Services - CompUSA Atlantic Coast

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2004, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by ScottHall:
While Robert's problem is not a store that I cover, we'll either get his unit repaired or replaced.
And I would expect you fire the guy that fubar'ed his PowerMac as well as the store manager that didn't offer replacement at once.

CompUSA's reputation is sure as hell going down the crapper on this board.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
And I would expect you fire the guy that fubar'ed his PowerMac as well as the store manager that didn't offer replacement at once.

CompUSA's reputation is sure as hell going down the crapper on this board.
Fire? I doubt the employee was doing anything differently than all the rest. Even if he was, simply telling him to be careful would be more appropriate. Otherwise, CompUSA and the customer must put up with the mistakes of a new and untrained employee.

Reputation down the crapper? This situation is not unique or unusual. With age comes the realization that no matter how good an organization, some of it's employees will make mistakes. If the anecdote in this thread is enough to ruin a reputation, then no store is safe.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2004, 10:15 AM

CompUSA has repeatedly been an issue on this board. It seems their staff is incompetent and not at all interested in offering a decent customer experience.

And if you don't want the technician who ruined the case to be fired, how about firing his boss who employed the clumsy fellow in the first place?

The problem with these computer joints is, they believe they can treat customers like trash because their margins are 'low'. Wrong. Customers don't care about the store's margins and they shouldn't have too either. If the store sucks, they order from AppleStore.com. An employee who can't understand that won't do his shop any good.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
CompUSA has repeatedly been an issue on this board.
That is only because it is the largest retail outlet of computer goods in the US.

A little perspective please.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by dfiler:
That is only because it is the largest retail outlet of computer goods in the US.
AppleStore.com probably sells quite a few Macs more and I hardly hear the same amount of trouble there.

A little perspective please.
I recently had a store ruin my perfectly vanilla PowerBook. So I'm biased, I'll give you that. But, I can feel his pain. A little empathy please.

bighead
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 10:25 AM

I don't usually play devil's advocate, especially when it comes to physical damage to machines. However, I've experienced a number of customers who are hypersensitive to physical damage to their machine, to the point of requiring that I work on the computer while it is sitting on a specific type of fabric. I have a fully equipped workstation, but there are certain things that need to be done with a machine that prevent it from being kept in a diaper the entire time it is in my possession.

I have experienced many cases where extremely minor physical blemishes, even pre-existing ones have been blamed on the care of the unit while it was being worked on. One customer demanded a replacement machine when there was, and I measured this with a ruler, a 1.5mm scratch on the bottom of the back side of the REAR foot on a G5. When customers are that demanding about maintaining the physical condition of the machine beforehand, I actually refuse to work on the machine because merely using the computer can result in "unacceptable" blemishes, and anything less than perfection is grounds for a new computer.

I am not saying that this is the case here. It actually sounds like CompUSA used a trebuchet to send it to the company's headquarters in Mexico and dragged it behind a truck to get it back to Jersey (and yes, folks, I am being facetious.) From a technician's standpoint, I just want to give my two cents about what can and cannot be prevented while a computer is in for a repair. Some minor wear will occur whenever a machine is being physically moved. Gouges in the metal are not normal wear and tear while in for repair, however.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Unless you get REALLY lucky, chances are you won't get your g5 replaced............

UNLESS you forget the **** about compusa not being responsible (they'll possibly try to deny it) and go the **** after them.

At least he was smart enough to have them state that the machine was in perfect condition when it was turned in. They signed it, so he has proof.

No matter what happens, I expect a machine to come back in the SAME EXTERIOR PHYSICAL CONDITION I LEFT IT IN. If the machine has 2 scratches when I turn it over to be fixed, I expect it to have those same 2 scratches when it comes back. If there is even ONE ADDITIONAL SCRATCH, it's THEIR FAULT, and they have to make it right.

auero  (op)
Dec 29, 2004, 12:55 PM

I miss my mac!
( Last edited by auero; Dec 29, 2004 at 01:38 PM. )

bighead
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by auero:
Well I called my store and they said they are ordering parts for it. A new case and power supply. They said it will take about a week for the parts and then the guy has to install it all then.
All things considered, moving parts to a new G5 case is not terribly difficult. Doing even small things on a newer PowerBook could be considered harder. It would be difficult for any trained technician to botch up, save the trebuchet method of repair.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

auero  (op)
Dec 29, 2004, 01:03 PM

Yeah but if this gets scratched again... I don't know what I'll do...

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
At least he was smart enough to have them state that the machine was in perfect condition when it was turned in. They signed it, so he has proof.

No matter what happens, I expect a machine to come back in the SAME EXTERIOR PHYSICAL CONDITION I LEFT IT IN. If the machine has 2 scratches when I turn it over to be fixed, I expect it to have those same 2 scratches when it comes back. If there is even ONE ADDITIONAL SCRATCH, it's THEIR FAULT, and they have to make it right.
I'm not going to deny that you're right, because you are, and that's the exact thing I pushed on them. Eventually, I did get most of the exterior parts on the machine replaced, mostly on apple's tab, for being stupid enough to tell me to go there in the first place

(they did, so yeah..)..

Believe me, they've probably had to pay almost as much as I did for this machine to get it fixed due to their stupidity, ineffiency, and general laziness, I'd think. Between the monitor and the computer, I had to send/take this thing in more times than I can remember.

OTOH, it's all working JUST fine now, so I'm very happy
Aloha

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Link:
I'm not going to deny that you're right, because you are, and that's the exact thing I pushed on them. Eventually, I did get most of the exterior parts on the machine replaced, mostly on apple's tab, for being stupid enough to tell me to go there in the first place
Did you have documented proof of condition before releasing the machine to them? Because if you don't, then it's their word against yours and those things are almost always decided in their favor.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 09:53 PM

I brought my Dual 2.0 G5 to my local Apple Store for service a few weeks ago and they could not fix it. It would not boot from the install DVD without panicing, would not burn a DVD successfully, and there were many crazy things going on with the OS when I was able to clone an image to it. To make a long story short I got tired of waiting for it to be repaired (3 different logic boards, 4 different processors, 2 weeks gone) so I called Apple Support at 1-800-275-2273 to push for a replacement. After speaking with an unbelievably nice and competent guy in CS at Apple he called the tech and manager at my local Apple Store and they decided to replace my machine. The shite part of the story is that they say it will take as long as 14 days to get me a replacement. I have NO idea why it would take that long considering that they have them in stock at the store. That is not good when my income depends on me having my Mac.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
I have NO idea why it would take that long considering that they have them in stock at the store. That is not good when my income depends on me having my Mac.
Probably because the replacement machine will most likely be a refurbished unit, which is not uncommon for companies to do when giving people a replacement. Even if your flawed unit is brand new.

Have you tried asking your store if they have a loaner program? If it's an Apple Store, you might be out of luck; but many third-party service centers will have such programs.

BobK
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2004, 11:03 AM

CrapUSA is the worst- I don't know where CrapUSA finds their techs but they seem to have a pipeline straight to the worst techs in the world. I get calls all the time to help people with there computers (Mac & Windows) who have just spent a bunch of money at CrapUSA and machine still will not work. OUCH.

Since you have applecare, look in the phone book for an authorized AppleCare provider. Here in Denver there are a couple under the radar that do REALLY GOOD WORK. Very Highly skilled people.

Doing business with CrapUSA, is a nightmare!

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Probably because the replacement machine will most likely be a refurbished unit, which is not uncommon for companies to do when giving people a replacement. Even if your flawed unit is brand new.

Have you tried asking your store if they have a loaner program? If it's an Apple Store, you might be out of luck; but many third-party service centers will have such programs.
it'll be brand new.

auero  (op)
Jan 5, 2005, 09:36 PM

Well it's been a week and I called to check to see if they got anything. First no one would pick up for about 5-6 tries and then when I finally got someone he told me "I don't know, the apple tech has to come in and do things and I haven't seen him around" and told me to call back tomorrow at noon. One problem, I have school.

I'm very angry at this point

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 01:23 PM

Well it's been a week and I called to check to see if they got anything. First no one would pick up for about 5-6 tries and then when I finally got someone he told me "I don't know, the apple tech has to come in and do things and I haven't seen him around" and told me to call back tomorrow at noon. One problem, I have school.

I'm very angry at this point
i feel your pain. it sucks.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
it'll be brand new.
well, i've got a brand new (unopened) Power Mac sitting in my basement. i am debating selling/trading it.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=240581

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2005, 03:25 PM

Be polite, but persistent. Do not wait a week. Call every day without losing your cool. If you are enough of a nuissance, you will get the proverbial grease.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

auero  (op)
Jan 12, 2005, 06:10 PM

Well! I just got back from compusa... been a month but I FINALLY GOT IT! New case, new power supply, and I think its good now. The powersupply is SO much quieter now and they even left the plastic on the case so it felt like Christmas unwrapping it

I'd like to thank everyone at the forum that posted and helped me. I'm very greatful. I hope the next person doesn't have such a tuff time like me though.

One thing bothered me... The inside. I was wondering about the serial numbers. The tech pealed off the old one and stuck it on this one. Will this cause any problems in the future?

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 08:51 PM

I'm really glad everything worked out for you. you're very lucky.

I can say only that the compUSA employees I've had experience with are pretty damn ignorant of the products and technology in which their stores are supposed to specialize.

I've not received poor customer service, but they are pretty ignorant, which I think helps in some cases

brucejy
Jan 13, 2005, 02:18 PM

Good job! Congratulations!

auero  (op)
Jan 13, 2005, 03:23 PM

They are very rude some of them. I might have said(I forgot if I did or didnt) but I went there because it was supposed to be done tueday the latest and it wasn't I called and the tech manager said "Don't call, we'll call you" in a angry voice. So I decided to go to the store and everything I said and questioned him on his responce was "And? So?" Very, very, very rude he was. I called apple too and they told me this store is not even a authorized service center, they only bring in some third party person in. Other stores in my area have apple techs that come in or are on standby. The tech manager just told me "Oh we still are, all compusa's are".

It works fine I guess, I've only got use it for about a total of 2 hours because I've had other things to do but Im planning on ordering my 500GB lacie drive and 1 or 2gb of ram today. I'm so excited

Rodster
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 08:28 PM

Congrats dude, i'm glad everything worked out for you.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 11:09 PM

While we're bashing CompUSA... I was just in one locally to pick-up a second display card for my Dual G5. I went to the hardware area where all the cards are. I could not find any Mac-edition cards, so I asked an employee... he had to get someone else... that person showed-up... I repeat my request of wanting the "Best" PCI(X) video card that will run in a G5. He also was dazed & confused, so he got a THIRD person � the "Go-to" guy. He had just as little a clue as the others.

He even asked me: "Wait, what is this for again...?"

Me: "I want to run a second display on it's own dedicated card. The AGP slot has the primary video card... and "technically", I CAN run my second display off of it, but I'd rather give each display a dedicated card... which means I need a PCI-based card... the best you have in-stock..."

Him: (rummaging through all the boxes I've already looked at) Ummm... I think these are all Windows card..."

Me: (Politely) "Yes, I'm aware of that, which is why I have been through 3 employees trying to find the Mac video cards..."

Him: "Wait... you want to run a SECOND card...? You can't do that... you can only run ONE video card on a computer at a time... that won't work..."

Me: (Now frustrated after waiting so long, and talking to too-many ill-informed people) "Yes, you CAN... my G4 at home has THREE video cards in it running three displays..."

Him: "All at the same time...?"

Me: (Now realizing I am not going to get anywhere with him) "Okay, well... thanks for your help, I guess I'll just order one online. Thanks..."

Ummm... it's the year 2005... you work in a COMPUTER store... Windows has supported multiple displays for years now too... how can you NOT know that a computer supports more than one card...? Is this mostly a "Mac" thing...?

Anyhow... back on-topic. Sorry!!!

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 11:12 PM

They are very rude some of them. I might have said(I forgot if I did or didnt) but I went there because it was supposed to be done tueday the latest and it wasn't I called and the tech manager said "Don't call, we'll call you" in a angry voice. So I decided to go to the store and everything I said and questioned him on his responce was "And? So?" Very, very, very rude he was. I called apple too and they told me this store is not even a authorized service center, they only bring in some third party person in. Other stores in my area have apple techs that come in or are on standby. The tech manager just told me "Oh we still are, all compusa's are".
And so? Oh gee I would have fried his arse, verbally.
Aloha

auero  (op)
Jan 13, 2005, 11:21 PM

Compusa needs new employees because they really have people that dont know what they are doing but if they do, they are smartasses.

Off topic: I raided my moms creditcard with some additions...

1GB of crucial ram, 500GB lacie drive, .mac, ilife 05, and iWork. I can't wait for it all to come! Going to feel like christmas

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 05:20 PM

compusa is the definition of tech incompetence... they lost $1000 of my business a few years back b/c of awesomely rude floor staff

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules