Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 8A268 In The Wild

8A268 In The Wild (Page 9)
dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2004, 08:15 PM

Thanks cap'n obvious.

I was simply calling attention to the fact that 'resolution independent' is a poorly suited phrase. Another example would be how PCI Express is easily confused with PCI-X

Or... in the non computer world: You clip into 'clipless' bicycle peddles.

I suppose there is probably a different take on this phrase depending on whether you hail from the pixel age or not. Old school typesetters probably think in real world units while web designers think in pixels. Hence... what does 'independent' refer to? We know the answer but the phrase simply begs the question. It depends on your perspective.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
All iMac G3's were shipped with the Rage128. Up to 700 Mhz.
iMacs faster than 500 MHz came with the Rage Ultra according to the Apple Museum.

Originally posted by dfiler:
Current display architectures are what I would consider resolution independent. Set your resolution to whatever you want but the software will take no notice. Display calculations are completely independent of screen resolution.
But it doesn't say "resolution-independent display calculations," it says "resolution-independent GUI." It's the graphics that are resolution-independent.

The term "resolution" refers to the number of pixels in a given area. In current apps, depending on the number of pixels in a given area, any shape could draw at literally any size. It depends entirely on the resolution how the final shape looks. With a resolution-independent GUI, we would get the same shape no matter what resolution it was drawn at.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Dec 27, 2004 at 08:49 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2004, 09:07 PM

No really... we understand what is meant by the term. I (and many others here) have multiple degrees in CS and write software for a living.

I simply disagree with it's use due to ambiguity when interpreted by your average joe.
No matter the nomenclature, I can't wait for resolution 'agnosticism'.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
I simply disagree with it's use due to ambiguity when interpreted by your average joe.
And how do you know that "resolution independence" is the term that Apple is going to use towards average joe in 10.5 or 10.6 or whenever that feature will be available? So far Apple has talked about it only to developers, and none of them has been confused by the term as far as I can tell. You would be the first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules