Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New phone - quick poll

View Poll Results: Which phone???
Poll Options:
K800i with no card 5 votes (19.23%)
W850i with 1gb card 19 votes (73.08%)
Z610i with 64mb card 2 votes (7.69%)
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll
New phone - quick poll
ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2007, 06:33 PM

Well I'm going to get a new phone, because I stuffed up the connector strip on my K700 by putting the charger cable in slightly wrong and bending the metal pins a the base of the phone, so now it won't charge.

Anyway, 3 have an offer of a £15 per month contract with a selection of free handsets, and I wouldn't touch a Motorola again, not too impressed with recent Nokia, and want something Mac friendly, so thats Sony Ericsson. The free SE handsets in the offer are the K610i ( with 64mb card) and K800i (no memory card included) candybars, W850i Walkman slider (with 1Gb card) and Z610i flip (with 64mb card). I've discounted the K610i already because its basically a lower end version of the K800i. I'm not sure which of the other three to go with, swings and roundabouts and all that. I've got a Nano so I'm not that bothered about music capability, the K800 and W850 have higher res screens than the Z610, K800 has the best camera (3.2 vs 2.0).

K800i Cybershot, 3.2m camera.

Z610i, 2m camera, (with 64mb card)

W850i Walkman, 2m camera (with 1gb card)

Anyone got any of these phones and have good or bad to say about them?? Just need a second opinion and recommendation from people who have any of these??!!?

Edit: All of these phones are 3G.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 12:16 AM

I wish the phones in this country didn't suck so much. I would take any of those over the crappy flip phones verizon is obsessed with.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 21, 2007, 12:30 AM

Whatever is cheapest. You are not your freakin khakis.

Sealobo
Mar 21, 2007, 01:47 AM

These Are The New Phones?!?!?!

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 02:58 AM

W850i looks sweet. I have a W810i and love it.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2007, 04:10 PM

The K810i is coming out soon, I love the look of those buttons. K810i�-�Specifications - - Mobile phone - Sony Ericsson
If I can't wait though I'll get the K800.

I'll agree with you about Motos, my v3x is the biggest pile of crap I've ever owned, crashing, rebooting itself FOR NO REASON, paints peeling (doesn't help that I keep picking at it), refusing to hang up a call, the only upside is that it has a signal 99.9% of the time so that I can use it, unlike my old SE K700 which couldn't and still can't get a signal most of the time so I ended up lugging a Nokia 3510i around with me just to make calls.

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 04:19 PM

Yeah, the 850 looks the best

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 04:22 PM

If it's important to you, the 3 MP autofocus camera on the K800i really does blow those other cameras away, according to reviews. I had the K800i, but now have the K790a. (Same camera, but I need EDGE more than 3G, because I live in this backward country of Canada. I also prefer to have the 850 band.)

i.e I'd recommend the K800i. The 1 GB M2 cards aren't that expensive these days. It's £31 (VAT included) at Sony Style.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 04:26 PM

I'm anti-phone. Had a couple of cellphones for about a year and gave up. I hate phones. I hate it when they ring. I hate busy numbers. I hate wrong numbers. I hate waiting for a call and not getting it. Email. I'm an email person. And telepathy.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson
Email. I'm an email person. And telepathy.
Telepathy I hate it.

Situation: I'll be standing in the kitchen working on something, my mum will come along and stand next to me for a while, then she'll get in a strop because she was expecting ME to know telepathically that she wanted me to get out of the way of the dish washer.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Telepathy I hate it.

Situation: I'll be standing in the kitchen working on something, my mum will come along and stand next to me for a while, then she'll get in a strop because she was expecting ME to know telepathically that she wanted me to get out of the way of the dish washer.
Mums are always right when they're in the kitchen.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 06:49 PM

I've just got the W880i, it's a fantastically thin phone. i know it's not of your list but worth a look. otherwise i'd choose the W850i

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 03:08 PM

I've got the W850i, and I'm just at the stage of fiddling with it and getting it set up. This phone has a software update function through the SE website, but the download is a windows exe file. Is there any way on my Mac (not Intel so no Windows) that I can extract the update and install it onto the phone??? The over the air update directly through the phone over the network is disabled on my handset (it says in the book that its possible but I don't have it in the phone menu). Not the end of the world if it won't happen because there are other PC's in the house, but would be good.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 05:57 PM

what network are you on? the over the air feature works on the O2 version of the w880i

sadly no Mac version, so you'll have to use the PeeCee

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2007, 11:23 PM

I'm in the US, so our choices are vastly different, but I really like my Motorola Q.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2007, 05:37 AM

Even the 2mp cameras are awesome, here's a couple of pics I took with the one in my k750i

cat scratch

view from hotel window

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 09:30 AM

It's on the 3 network

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2007, 11:05 AM

I'm waiting for a Sony Ericsson K610i to arrive in the next couple of days. My reasons for choosing this model are - it's cheap, and it's a reasonable replacement for my dying K750i. Avoid any Sony Ericsson with the joystick - they're notorious for becoming extremely non-responsive. I've personally had two joystick Sony Ericsson's with this problem.
tin pot, garden shed

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I wish the phones in this country didn't suck so much. I would take any of those over the crappy flip phones verizon is obsessed with.
It's not the phone, its Verizon. I have Cingular, and could have any one of the phones listed. Get rid of Verizon, and you could too.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Forum Links
Forum Rules