Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking for a Universal Remote...

Looking for a Universal Remote...
msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2010, 11:41 AM

that doesn't require connecting to the vendor's web site for configuration and supports macros.

I've searched the nnforums and could not find any useful threads.

ibook_steve
Dec 5, 2010, 01:33 PM

Why do you not want to connect to the vendor's web site? Logitech Harmony remotes are fantastic.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2010, 02:32 PM

I've worn the numbers/letters of my Harmony 670. I would recommended getting a good set of quick charge batteries.
45/47

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Why do you not want to connect to the vendor's web site? Logitech Harmony remotes are fantastic.

Steve
If the vendor stops support for the remote, what do you do then? I would rather have a stand-along device, such as the now defunct Sony RM-AV3000:

This was a great remote although it required a degree in string theory to program. Well worth it once it was done though. It didn't hold up to a 2 foot drop onto a hardwood floor unfortunately.

The Logitech remotes do not support macro programming. There are times when the standard 'activity' actions just won't do the job.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2010, 04:51 PM

Now this looks interesting:

L5 Remote - Turn your iPhone or iPod Touch into a Universal Remote

Anybody have any experience with this?

UPDATE: I've looked at this device on Amazon and for $39.74 I think I'm going to pull the trigger.
( Last edited by msuper69; Dec 5, 2010 at 04:57 PM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2010, 05:43 PM

Philips Prestigo?, setup software is Mac compatible.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Philips Prestigo?, setup software is Mac compatible.
I looked at the Prestigo and didn't see anything about Mac compatibility. How did you find that link?

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2010, 02:28 AM

The Sony RM-AX4000 is okay. Sadly, it's no AV3000.

My AV3000 stood up to at least a thousand two foot drops onto hardwood. It was that drop 1001 which did it in.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I looked at the Prestigo and didn't see anything about Mac compatibility. How did you find that link?
At the FAQs for the SRT8215 Touch 15 in 1 model.

Question
Where can I find the setup software ?

Answer
You can download the setup software from the website myprestigo

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
At the FAQs for the SRT8215 Touch 15 in 1 model.

Question
Where can I find the setup software ?

Answer
You can download the setup software from the website myprestigo
I only looked at the 20 in 1 model and from that concluded that the Prestigo lacked Mac support. Dumb web site.

ibook_steve
Dec 6, 2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
If the vendor stops support for the remote, what do you do then? I would rather have a stand-along device, such as the now defunct Sony RM-AV3000:

This was a great remote although it required a degree in string theory to program. Well worth it once it was done though. It didn't hold up to a 2 foot drop onto a hardwood floor unfortunately.

The Logitech remotes do not support macro programming. There are times when the standard 'activity' actions just won't do the job.
Define "macro programming". You can certainly create a sequence of key presses and assign them to a button within an activity. I've found no need to do this, but I know I can. Is your definition of a macro different from mine?

As far as support for the device is concerned, I think that's a rather flimsy argument. Worst case scenario: Logitech goes out of business. Highly unlikely, but let's play devil's advocate. At the very least, they'd probably give you a programming file you could use to reprogram your remote. Even if Logitech were to die, I'm sure the open source or some other online community would come up with something. Or Harmony would get sold to somebody else. It's too valuable a property at this point for support to simply disappear one day.

In any case, the ease of use and programming of Harmony remotes more than makes up for your arguments. Have you tried a Harmony? I'll never use anything else.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2010, 01:23 AM

I installed the L5 on my iPhone 4 and programmed a U-verse box and the volume/mute controls for a Yamaha receiver.

I have not been able to program the power on/off button. It learned all the other buttons with no problems but this one is baffling me. I've posted a request for help with the vendor.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

You can make copies of remotes. I'm going to create remotes for the other 2 TV/Audio systems in my place, U-verse Bedroom, U-verse ManCave.

Forum Links
Forum Rules