Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Combination palm/unix question - Plucker

Combination palm/unix question - Plucker
kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2002, 07:19 PM

Ok, so I got a palm a couple weeks ago. Pretty fun. I was missing the ability to download web pages to my palm for later reading, when lo and behold, last night I stumbled upon Plucker (http://www.plkr.org/). Great app. And free.

Now, the "distiller" the program which sucks webpages and bundles them for palm installation is available for Linux/unix, windows, and "OS X", as in a java command line client. I feel like the unix/linux client might be a better bet (everyonce in a while, I get out of memory errors and stuff like that), but I'm not sure how to go about installing what I need. The unix client runs with python, and you need PIL, Imagemagick, or some 3rd image manipulation library installed. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure if I need to install python - I have never messed around with that. If anyone could figure this out for me and post a how to, that would be awesome!

This looks like a pretty sweet suite, since you can rip webpages via crontab, copy them to your "files to install" folder in the palm hotsync folder, etc, and have everything automated.

Also, it would be great to install site scooper (http://sitescooper.org/) as an alternate "distiller" - it sounds like it is pretty powerful.

kidtexas  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2002, 12:24 AM

Ok, here is what I got so far.

You need to install the PIL image library thing. I tried ImageMagick, because there were some binaries for Darwin, but the configuration was a royal pain in the ass (as I couldn't figure out if I could configure it at all - it seemed to want everything in the root /ImageMagick directory or some nonsense). Anyway, I moved back to the PIL thing. That needed the ZLib and jpeg lib. Zlib was obtained from the source mentioned in the PIL README. Compiled and installed very easy. The jpeg thing was no prob either, except it didn't seem to make files for /usr/local/lib or /usr/local/include - only made some executables. So, I had some libjpeg files and j*.h files floating around from some fink install, so I just copied them over to /usr/local/lib and include. I would like to be able to do this right if someone could help me.

Next, I did the PIL compile. You do a compile in a subdirectory first, then run the 2 python commands just like it mentions in the README. That went ok (finally). Then installed the plucker binaries with the install-plucker script. That seemed to go ok. I ran some tests and I seem to get graphics which is good. It does seem to be better than the java client, but I don't know if it is worth the extra effort. Maybe if someone comes up with a nice clean walk thru with ALL the steps, it would be worth it.

I can't get the pluck-comics command to work. That stinks, because it looked cool. I also think it might be neat if someone worked out a script that would automatically pluck URL's that you've copied to memopad - that way if you missed a page that you wanted to see, it would get it on the next pluck/hotsync. I was thinking maybe go:
1) copy to memopad
2) file all plucker notes as "plucker"
3) import memopad to notetaker
4) on the next sync, all the plucker notes will be in a plucker dir of notetaker
5) on the next pluck run in crontab, have a script that parses out the URLS in the plucker dir of notetaker, and have plucker grab those URLS
6) hotsync, and any URLS that were in the plucker dir will be grabbed

I wish I could do this, but I don't know enough about perl/python/ whatever to do it. Its a shame there is no memopad->plain text conduit and that you either have to deal with palm desktop or notetaker.

Any thoughts? I think this would be pretty cool...

gcs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by kidtexas:
Ok, so I got a palm a couple weeks ago. Pretty fun. I was missing the ability to download web pages to my palm for later reading, when lo and behold, last night I stumbled upon Plucker (http://www.plkr.org/). Great app. And free.

Now, the "distiller" the program which sucks webpages and bundles them for palm installation is available for Linux/unix, windows, and "OS X", as in a java command line client. I feel like the unix/linux client might be a better bet (everyonce in a while, I get out of memory errors and stuff like that), but I'm not sure how to go about installing what I need. The unix client runs with python, and you need PIL, Imagemagick, or some 3rd image manipulation library installed. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure if I need to install python - I have never messed around with that. If anyone could figure this out for me and post a how to, that would be awesome!

This looks like a pretty sweet suite, since you can rip webpages via crontab, copy them to your "files to install" folder in the palm hotsync folder, etc, and have everything automated.

Also, it would be great to install site scooper (http://sitescooper.org/) as an alternate "distiller" - it sounds like it is pretty powerful.

I've been trying to get plucker working, and have it to the point where I see the files getting plucked, but no pdb gets built.

Did you ever find a source of pre-compiled image libraries?
Thanks!
gcs

Forum Links
Forum Rules