Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Drive Support - DVD Studio Pro

Drive Support - DVD Studio Pro
vasu
Senior User
Apr 17, 2002, 07:21 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew of luck with DVD Studio Pro and other burners beside the Pioneer A0x/10x series.

Specifically I was looking into DVD Studio Pro's support (or lack thereof) for the Ricoh 5120 (DVD+RW), Panasonic Rambo (DVDRAM/DVD-RW) and Hewlett-Packard DVD100i (DVD+RW)

anyone know where I can get information on this?

-vasu

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2002, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
<STRONG>I was wondering if anyone knew of luck with DVD Studio Pro and other burners beside the Pioneer A0x/10x series.

Specifically I was looking into DVD Studio Pro's support (or lack thereof) for the Ricoh 5120 (DVD+RW), Panasonic Rambo (DVDRAM/DVD-RW) and Hewlett-Packard DVD100i (DVD+RW)

anyone know where I can get information on this?

-vasu</STRONG>
I too am interested, esp. with the Panasonic LF-D311 and LF-D321, both of which are DVD-RAM/-R. Note that it does NOT support DVD-RW.

I would avoid the HP DVD-100i because it is only DVD+RW. It does not support DVD-R(W) or even DVD+R. According to HP, it will never support DVD+R either.

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Eug ]

vasu  (op)
Senior User
Apr 18, 2002, 03:06 PM

Well that knocks 1 of the 3 outs thanks

But DVDRW isn't of much concern to me, just DVD-R or DVD+R if it works. Does anyone know if the DVD Studio Pro works with these two drives, the Panasonic or the Ricoh.

-vasu

<Eug>
Apr 18, 2002, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
<STRONG>Well that knocks 1 of the 3 outs thanks

But DVDRW isn't of much concern to me, just DVD-R or DVD+R if it works. Does anyone know if the DVD Studio Pro works with these two drives, the Panasonic or the Ricoh.

-vasu</STRONG>
The Ricoh is in the same boat as the HP. There is no DVD+R (or DVD-R) support. I don't know if firmware updates will make it DVD+R though. (HP has already said most likely NO for their drive.)

As far as I know as of today (Apr. 18) no shipping drive has DVD+R support, so any DVD+RW drive is essentially a non-starter. However, DVD+R drives are supposed be out in the next few weeks.

It seems to me that the best bet for an unlisted drive would be the Panasonic, but so far I've seen no posts by people saying that their Panny's work with DVD Studio Pro.

By the way, the Panasonic LF-D321 supports only 1X DVD-R writes, while the Pioneer DVR-A04 supports 2X DVD-R writes. (The Panny supports 2X DVD-RAM writes.) From what I've seen, the Pioneer and the Panasonic are in the same price range.

Forum Links
Forum Rules