Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTMS Doesn't Have The Song I Want

iTMS Doesn't Have The Song I Want
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 12:27 AM

If iTMS doesn't have the song I want, what's my next, most Mac-friendly alternative source for purchasing music?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 12:33 AM

A record store.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 12:42 AM

Buy the CD probably... check the artist's site.

And yah iTunes is bad for sometimes not having some obvious choices but then having others. Oh well. The Canadian store is also bad for not getting what the American store gets which also sucks.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 12:43 AM

BitTorrent.

Wait...

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 12:57 AM

ImpulseResponse

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2005, 07:49 AM

I would say "support your local record store" but the ones around me try to sell the newer stuff for $17.99 when I could buy online for $11.99... crazy.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I would say "support your local record store" but the ones around me try to sell the newer stuff for $17.99 when I could buy online for $11.99... crazy.
Somehow it seems that the RIAA and music vendors just haven't "gotten it" when it comes to why people don't like to buy CDs. I like having CDs because they're durable, reliable, and work in a number of devices. But paying almost $20 for a disc with maybe one or two songs I'm interested in is stupid. Legal online song sales are the answer, but you have to find what you're looking for in order to buy it.

I like going to CD Exchange, a resale store that often has some very interesting discs-not just the top 40 and whatever some chain is getting a kickback for pushing. Oh, and while they can't do anything about them, the RIAA just HATES CD resales, so I get to tweak their collective nose when I buy something there, too!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 09:26 AM

What I was hoping for is for a convenient way to purchase/manage songs bought at Napster (or buymusic.com or Walmart or whatever) using iTunes on the Mac. Is that possible?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch
What I was hoping for is for a convenient way to purchase/manage songs bought at Napster (or buymusic.com or Walmart or whatever) using iTunes on the Mac. Is that possible?
No. None of those stores support Macs. Try eMusic or Magnatune. They have less popular stuff, but there's bound to be something you like.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 11, 2005, 10:00 AM

CDs are not durable according to some, and you can only really archive vinyl for sure. My oppinion? The format will change before your cd goes bad, but then what do you do? Remember the Cassette to CD transition? Not again.

[quote]hen again, Rothenberg says 5 to 59 years, which gives you an idea of the uncertainty here. Rewritable CDs are more uncertain still. Common wisdom is that CD-Rs will last 70 to 100 years or more, CD-RWs perhaps 30 years. But the technology is much newer. Even a casual glance at the literature suggests that extraordinary precision is required and that the different dyes used have different longevity and playback characteristics. Already I find that CD-RWs won't work in all CD players, and you have to wonder what will happen a decade or two down the road.[/img]

source

I've read elsewhere that they could last from 10 to 200 years, but nobody really knows, yet.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 10:10 AM

I guess it would be very inconvenient and sound quality would suffer if I opened a Windows-based account at one of the other services and resampled the material as .mp3s that could be imported into iTunes on my Mac?

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2005, 10:13 AM

I wish they had Tool on the iTMS. What's up with that?

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 10:21 AM

Yeah, all I want right now is a copy of Smokey Robinson’s Cruisin’ as performed by Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow. I'm not willing to do anything illegal to get it, but I also don't want to buy the soundtrack from the movie Duets for $18.95 or thereabouts. A 99¢ download would be so perfect for this.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2005, 10:27 AM

It would be GREAT if you could buy songs one at a time, and in WHATEVER FORMAT YOU WANTED. Unfortunately, Apple is probably not going to be happy with someone coming up with yet another source for protected AAC songs, after what they did with a company I will not name that "got around" their copy protection to offer songs iTunes didn't. Too bad.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Yeah, all I want right now is a copy of Smokey Robinson’s Cruisin’ as performed by Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Sorry. Just listen to the original; it still sounds great.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 11:17 AM

It's possible that A iTMS will eventually have the song that you are interesting in purchasing. There should be a suggestion procedure.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
It's possible that A iTMS will eventually have the song that you are interesting in purchasing. There should be a suggestion procedure.
There's the "Request a Song" feature, but I assume you mean something more robust?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by tavilach
There's the "Request a Song" feature, but I assume you mean something more robust?
Yeah.

SomeToast
Senior User
Jul 12, 2005, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
CDs are not durable according to some, and you can only really archive vinyl for sure.
Shhhh! Some of my CDs are nearing their 20th birthdays -- they don't need to be hearing this now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules