Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 'Real Alternative' for Mac?

'Real Alternative' for Mac?
Aramas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2004, 08:37 PM

Is there any alternative to the vile, invasive, bloated, pos spy/nag/spamware that is RealPlayer? I used Real Alternative on Windows and it was great, but I've been unable to find anything similar for Mac. Are there any plugins for Quicktime or similar that will play .ra files? For some bizarre reason they still seem to be widely used on websites (particularly language learning). Haven't they heard of mp3? I really don't care about video or streams, it's just the few sites with .ra's.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Aramas:
Is there any alternative to the vile, invasive, bloated, pos spy/nag/spamware that is RealPlayer? I used Real Alternative on Windows and it was great, but I've been unable to find anything similar for Mac. Are there any plugins for Quicktime or similar that will play .ra files? For some bizarre reason they still seem to be widely used on websites (particularly language learning). Haven't they heard of mp3? I really don't care about video or streams, it's just the few sites with .ra's.
RealPlayer on OS X isn't bad. Real sucks though.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 08:47 PM

Yes, strangely enough the newest version of RealPlayer for OS X is quite nice. No bloatware and spyware, decent interface, I'd simply use that. WIndows RealPlayer on the other hand...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2004, 10:07 PM

I think mplayer is testing handling real content.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 10:16 PM

RealPlayer on OS X isn't bad. Really! I would never use it as a player for anything other than 'real' audio or video content, it works and does what it's supposed to do without spyware or anything, and a smooth, working interface (even if you don't like it's looks). Same goes for Windows Media Player... although it's interface is just sucky.

I never found Real Alternative to work all that well on Windows. Could never get any streaming media to work though a browser.

Aramas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2004, 11:03 PM

Well, after reading the recommendations for OSX RealPlayer I went and had a look. After wading through ten pages of hard-sell spam and an unsolicited auto-download of the windows version (which I stopped but now have to manually delete) I finally found a tiny plain-text link to the Mac version on the bottom right of the page - Then they wanted my email address before I could download it!

F**k them. They haven't changed. They personify everything I loathe about unscrupulous, marketing-weasel, spamming b@stards. They're much worse than Microsoft. I'll continue to do without. I hope they go broke and the pathetic vermin that infest the place find themselves in the gutter where they belong Not that I care either way, of course

jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 11:14 PM

Or you could just go to www.real.com and click on the link in the upper right corner that says Free Player.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2004, 01:01 AM

I like RealPlayer for OS X. It's gotten way better since it first showed up. I use it every day.

ul1984
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2004, 02:41 AM

Macanoid
Senior User
Oct 24, 2004, 03:37 AM

It points to realplayer gold - isn't that the paid version??

Krypton
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I like RealPlayer for OS X. It's gotten way better since it first showed up. I use it every day.

You can email the dev team using the address in the about box, they're quite firendly and open to suggestions

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2004, 11:22 AM

Although Real seems to want to make their Mac client as difficult to download as they possibly can, the Mac version is quite benign in comparison to the PC version. Little to no bloat, and no spyware in sight.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2004, 12:05 PM

The latest RealPlayer isn't bad at all.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2004, 01:09 PM

Well, after reading the recommendations for OSX RealPlayer I went and had a look. After wading through ten pages of hard-sell spam and an unsolicited auto-download of the windows version (which I stopped but now have to manually delete) I finally found a tiny plain-text link to the Mac version on the bottom right of the page - Then they wanted my email address before I could download it!
You don't have to enter your real e-mail address. It will accept [email protected] just as readily as your actual address.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Oct 24, 2004 at 01:15 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Aramas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2004, 09:44 PM

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 12:39 AM

You could try Mplayer. It's well known in the linux community.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
You don't have to enter your real e-mail address. It will accept [email protected] just as readily as your actual address.
I like nowayjose@yougottabe�u�kingkidding.com, myself

Gavin
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Great. Now I'm going to get all kinds of spam from real networks.

thanks

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 06:31 PM

I agree with the majority here. The newest Real Player for OS X rocks. I'm even testing out the paid content and am loving it.

Aramas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 09:09 PM

I tried MPlayer, but there are several problems.

Firstly, in typical Mac fashion, there's no apparent way of opening a .rx file on a webpage without downloading it first.

Secondly, MPlayer doesn't actually play the files. It just zips through them really fast.

*Sigh*

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2004, 12:16 AM

Firstly, in typical Mac fashion, there's no apparent way of opening a .rx file on a webpage without downloading it first.
That's because opening a file on a Web page (in either Mac OS or Windows) requires a plug-in for that media type. You do not have a Real plug-in, thus your browser has no idea what the **** to do with the file.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dave-mann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
no no no

The way to go is.. [email protected]

See...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2006, 08:04 PM

I think VLC plays some Real content now too.

jasong
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 12:05 AM

Are you kidding? You resurrected a 1.5 year old thread for that? Even better, you signed up for this board and made that your first post?

Wow . . .
-- Jason

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 05:36 AM

Noobs.

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 4, 2006, 09:36 AM

what kind of silly remark is that, as if you didn't as a noob? (or should that be snob)

Forum Links
Forum Rules