Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > adding a windows like window bar to OS X

adding a windows like window bar to OS X
trinko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2006, 01:23 AM

my son uses a PC at school and he'd like the window bar at the bottom of the screen on the mac at home. while he knows he can put windows into the dock he'd like a list of window names where every open window is added to the list.

is there a utility that does this? thanks for any info!

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 04:10 AM

For each open app, they will list any of their windows in their own Dock menu:

It would help to know why your son would like to have the windows listed. Is it for switching windows? Is it to be able to see which windows are open? Etc.

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 05:33 AM

could this be an option: Witch

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 5, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by trinko View Post
my son uses a PC at school and he'd like the window bar at the bottom of the screen on the mac at home. while he knows he can put windows into the dock he'd like a list of window names where every open window is added to the list.

is there a utility that does this? thanks for any info!
What's wrong with Exposé + tabbing through all the different apps. It's a much more powerful approach than the Windows taskbar...especially so when you've got a ton of windows open and Windows truncates the names of your windows and you're left with undescriptive 16x16 icons.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 5, 2006, 09:34 AM

The whole "list of open windows" idiom in Windows is part of its user interface AND its user paradigm. Using a Mac is different. While there's a possibility that there's some sort of shell from Linux that's compatible with OS X and emulates Windows' Explorer's behavior, if the kid WANTS the Explorer behavior, why not have him use some software/hardware solution to run Windows on the Mac... Or just become more flexible and get used to switching between platforms.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Dec 5, 2006, 10:26 AM

The current setup in OS X - that all windows belonging to one app are listed in the menu you get when right-slicking the icon - is very similar to XP, which will group all windows from the same app (can be disabled).

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2006, 01:08 PM

Witch is most certainly the best solution. It also helps to apple-tab through open applications.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 01:12 PM

I'm pretty sure DragThing includes a window-switcher which is similar to the Windows Taskbar behaviour. You can even make that window-switcher look just like the Dock, and pin it to the bottom-left or bottom-right of the screen.

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I'm pretty sure DragThing includes a window-switcher which is similar to the Windows Taskbar behaviour. You can even make that window-switcher look just like the Dock, and pin it to the bottom-left or bottom-right of the screen.
It does, yes. Great tip, had forgotten al about that.

trinko  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2006, 11:41 PM

While i use Witch and appreciate it my son wants to be able to find a window quickly no matter what app it's from. I use a PC at work and i can see his point. if you've only got a few windows it can be quicker to use the window bar than expose or Witch. i think DragThing will give him what he wants though. thanks for the help!

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2006, 09:55 AM

Remember that it is faster to use the keyboard than the mouse. Cycling with Witch is going to be faster than clicking on taskbar items.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 09:57 AM

Press F9.

Superior to any solution I've seen so far.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Press F9. Superior to any solution I've seen so far.
Expose is nice, unless you have apps hidden or minimized. Using Expose as a switcher means unlearning some personal habits. It would be great if there was an option to show minimized and hidden windows with Expose.

Witch is fine, but it's not on-screen. It's nice to be able to see at a glance how many windows are open. I also find that it takes a moment to "parse" all the info that Witch throws at you, particularly if you have many windows open.

I've been using Macs since 2000, but I've always felt that OS X needed an on-screen window-switcher, at least as an option.

trinko  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by crazyjohnson View Post
Remember that it is faster to use the keyboard than the mouse. Cycling with Witch is going to be faster than clicking on taskbar items.
Witch takes time to come up. if my son just wants to see what windows are open so long as there aren't so many open windows that the names are reduced to a letter it's quicker to look at a window bar than wait for Witch to come up.

cakey
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2006, 12:06 AM

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 7, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by trinko View Post
Witch takes time to come up. if my son just wants to see what windows are open so long as there aren't so many open windows that the names are reduced to a letter it's quicker to look at a window bar than wait for Witch to come up.
Come on...stop the charades. This isn't really for your 'son' is it? It's for you. Don't be shy.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by cakey View Post
Switcheroo b262 - MacUpdate

Switcheroo looks promising.
That's scary! Works good though.

trinko  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Come on...stop the charades. This isn't really for your 'son' is it? It's for you. Don't be shy.
actually i've been using macs since 1984 and i'm comfortable with the interface. between command tab to switch apps and witch to look at windows in an app i don't really want a windows bar. sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules