Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pixelmator: At last, a real Mac Photoshop Competitor?

Pixelmator: At last, a real Mac Photoshop Competitor?
CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2007, 01:55 AM

This program looks intriguing. I've been waiting for a nice pro app that'll harness all the strengths of OS X to compete with Photoshop.

Pixelmator

CaptainHaddock  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2007, 02:06 AM

Addendum: Here are a few nice features listed on the website, things I wish I could do with Photoshop but can't:

• Drag-and-drop layers onto Mac OS X desktop to export to PNG
• Drag-and-drop pictures into layers palette or Pixelmator image view to place them as layers
• A "scratch palette" and integration with the OS X color picker
• Built-in Automator support

Macanoid
Senior User
May 31, 2007, 02:53 AM

Very very nice indeed - thanks for posting here!

OreoCookie
May 31, 2007, 03:13 AM

Wow, cool, thanks for telling us about it. I was thinking of getting PS Elements 5 as I have little reason to upgrade from PS7 for what I do (I'd just like to have a native Intel app …). It looks like this fits the bill … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 03:20 AM

Supposedly it's about a month from release, yet all the pictures on their Web site are made with Photoshop CS 2. Hrm. It would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JKT
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 04:15 AM

Yes, it is vapourware. Who knows if it is for real? There's nowt but a website to say it exists.

Super Mario
May 31, 2007, 06:15 AM

Says it is built on open source and took 15 years to develop. Is this Cocoa GIMP or what else?
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:47 PM. )

CaptainHaddock  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2007, 06:26 AM

I take it, they're referring to the open source libraries like ImageMagick that they used for many of the filters. I'd have done the same thing, there's no point in duplicating generic functions like that — although I wonder why they didn't just use Core Image for everything.

Super Mario
May 31, 2007, 06:53 AM

I see. CS3 has a better interface though because you can contract and expand the tool boxes and dock them together. This app has floating palettes all over the place. That is so 1990s.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Supposedly it's about a month from release, yet all the pictures on their Web site are made with Photoshop CS 2. Hrm. It would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see it.
So? All of Apple's press release screenshots are mockups as well.

Super Mario
May 31, 2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn View Post
So? All of Apple's press release screenshots are mockups as well.
He's saying why aren't the images made in Pixelmator? Why are there no flash movies to demo the app like just about all sites have these days (Adobe, Apple, Pixelogic, Luxology, etc)?

It looks like a great app but have they forgotten to include a ruler and guides because I can't find a screenshot with them and the tech specs makes no mention either.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 08:38 AM

Who knows? Maybe they don't want Pixelmator files/metadata in the wild yet. I say give them a chance to release the thing by end of June before assuming it's a hoax of some sort.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 09:23 AM

Not saying it is a hoax, but until there is demonstrable software to either see or use, it is pure vapourware by definition. I hope it is real as it looks as though it could be a good poor man's PS, but one that has been designed for the Mac utilising the unique features of OS X that will make it feel like a Mac app.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
I take it, they're referring to the open source libraries like ImageMagick that they used for many of the filters. I'd have done the same thing, there's no point in duplicating generic functions like that — although I wonder why they didn't just use Core Image for everything.
Because there's not 100% overlap, so they still would have been reimplementing features. For example, those 100 file formats it claims to support? Copied straight off the ImageMagick site. The "color correction tools" also sound like ImageMagick filters — Core Image doesn't have most of them as far as I know.
Chuck
___

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Not saying it is a hoax, but until there is demonstrable software to either see or use, it is pure vapourware by definition. I hope it is real as it looks as though it could be a good poor man's PS, but one that has been designed for the Mac utilising the unique features of OS X that will make it feel like a Mac app.
Fair enough, though I always thought vaporware meant software that is promised for extended amounts of time with no deliverable. When Apple announces iAppX and say it will ship in 60 days, they give not much more information that the pixelmator site, yet I don't see anyone calling that vapor.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn View Post
Fair enough, though I always thought vaporware meant software that is promised for extended amounts of time with no deliverable. When Apple announces iAppX and say it will ship in 60 days, they give not much more information that the pixelmator site, yet I don't see anyone calling that vapor.
Vaporware is any software that is talked about but not actually available for anyone's use. Software in beta or demonstrated in a public place like WWDC is a different matter. Software that nobody uses whose only public face is Photoshop mockups is plainly vaporware.
Chuck
___

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 05:35 PM

Well it's too bad vaporware is such a blanket term, as it has such a negative connotation.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 07:13 PM

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 03:20 AM

What's the compatibility with other applications like? e.g.: Lightroom, Aperture, Bibble...

Super Mario
Jun 1, 2007, 05:51 AM

Nought bads. Will have to see if it is pro level.

sray
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Nought bads. Will have to see if it is pro level.
For $59 I don't think this is meant for pros. This appears to be aimed squarely at folks who have outgrown iPhoto's simplistic editing options but are not ready for PS3. Keep in mind that there is no intel native version of PS Elements. So if you have an intel mac, this is a very compelling product.

We have over a dozen MacBook Pros deployed in our company and everybody wants a basic image editing tool that is a bit more sophisticated that iPhoto. This appears to fit that bill quite nicely.

Super Mario
Jun 1, 2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by sray View Post
We have over a dozen MacBook Pros deployed in our company and everybody wants a basic image editing tool that is a bit more sophisticated that iPhoto. This appears to fit that bill quite nicely.
Even better way to fit the bill is you send me a nice shiny MacBook Pro and I'll do the pro graphics work in CS3 for you for one year, yes?
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:24 PM. )

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2007, 09:16 AM

This sounds so promising. Can't wait to give it a shot, anything to ditch photoshop. Honestly, with my basic needs photoshop is overkill, and iPhoto is underkill.

Pixelmator looks like its just right.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 11:43 AM

Yeah they could have a winner here as long as it has more features than apps like Chocoflop and Seashore. Those two pieces of freeware mostly do what I need, but they aren't terribly reliable.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 12:47 PM

Im preparing to get a MBP when the new models ship, and an app like this + Coda would make for a prefect mobile web authoring platform. If it's as good as promised...

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 04:50 PM

PhotoShop has been a good standard option for many years, and I guess it will stay that way.

I think Corel has a similar product (paint shop photo, or so).

The only applications PhotoShop will lose to is to Aperture and Lightroom - applications for photographers. But even then, for image manipulations, you will need PhotoShop. It takes time to learn it, but it's worth it.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 05:36 PM

I saw the video on TUAW, and it looks pretty damn spiffy. Might be worth my money when/it comes out. Like most people, I don't need Photoshop, but could definitely use something more powerful than iPhoto.

Now all I need is a decent Illustrator alternative, and I'll be set!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 05:58 PM

Illustrator Alternative: LineForm

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2007, 06:06 PM

Looks ok, Like PhotoShop 3/4 (which ever the first one with layers was?) with a 'Apple lightbox theme. Both Adobe and Macromedia cam up with ways of 'docking' pallets for a reason, but lots of Macs have 'wide' monitors now so screen real estate may not be such an issue with the old amount of pallets anymore?

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Even better way to fit the bill is you send me a nice shiny MacBook Pro and I'll do the pro graphics work in CS3 for you for one year, yes?
That sounds kind of cheap. I may have a lot of graphics Like about 2-3 hrs a day worth. Deal? If so - I'll send it next week.

Super Mario
Jun 1, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
That sounds kind of cheap. I may have a lot of graphics Like about 2-3 hrs a day worth. Deal? If so - I'll send it next week.
2-3 hrs a day for a year.....hmm. What some people can do in 3 hours I can do in 1 hour because I am a graphics maniac so it would still be a good deal
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:24 PM. )

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2007, 12:05 PM

Maybe we shouldn't be too excited, looking at the products the developers' previous company (Jumsoft) released reveals some pretty negative comments on Macupdate - along the lines of their stuff looks nice but has serious flaws (data loss) and they don't provide much support.

Of course, maybe the reason why the old products were half-assed is because they were working on this pixelmator thingy. Still, we should temper our enthusiasm.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2007, 02:00 PM

I'll bet this app truly exists and for the low price offering. Developers are realizing that there's a huge market for Mac software that's not being taken advantage of so when there's not much competition the quality of the software, feature set and price will be great!
The only thing weird looking is the UI. It looks to be going in the direction of Leopard as far as the black color but the shade of black looks like a ShapeShifter mockup.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 01:09 AM

Apparently it is out of beta and is available for download.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 01:41 AM

One thing about graphics applications is, that you don't only invest in it financially.

You also invest your time. The time it costs you to be able to work with an application.

As much as Photoshop needs a competitor, I just bought Photoshop, as it delivers.

Not that I particularly favor the Adobe people. Their customer support is the worst, and do I see a slightly arrogant attitude there?

(in this vein I am glad that there is a competitor showing up. Only competition will bring Adobe back on its toes).

But the time you are investing in a standard application that is not going away soon.

And then there is the other question: it's not only about features, it's also about quality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules