Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How much does HD Buffer matter?

How much does HD Buffer matter?
Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 03:29 PM

I am about to buy a Lacie FW Hard Drive, but I can't decide which to get.

With my education discount + $20 .Mac renewal coupon, I can get the 120GB for $149.

With the 6th anniversary coupon, I can get the 200GB drive for $235, with the added bonus that it's an 8MB Buffer.

I will be using this for DV editing, and don't really need the extra 80GB, but it can't hurt, right?

My question is: how much difference will it make to have 8MB Buffer vs. 2MB buffer?

This is what will tip the scales.

CC

iohead
Nov 8, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
I am about to buy a Lacie FW Hard Drive, but I can't decide which to get.

With my education discount + $20 .Mac renewal coupon, I can get the 120GB for $149.

With the 6th anniversary coupon, I can get the 200GB drive for $235, with the added bonus that it's an 8MB Buffer.

I will be using this for DV editing, and don't really need the extra 80GB, but it can't hurt, right?

My question is: how much difference will it make to have 8MB Buffer vs. 2MB buffer?

This is what will tip the scales.

CC
This is a somewhat diabolical question.

The safe answer is that "it depends on your work load" (the kind of things that you would do with your disk), but that's hardly a useful answer.

If you are doing lots of random reads or writes, then the cache cannot help you. It only helps if what you want to read is already there. It's not the reading from the platters that takes most of the time, it's the seeking.

Then again, if you are trying to read files that are much larger than the cache, the cache will get overwritten repeatedly and is not of much help.

A lot depends on the cache circuitry that implements the *policy* (what to cache, how to cache, how long to keep, etc.)

That said, empirical evidence shows that unless your workload is contrived, 16 MB or 8 MB would pretty much be the same. 8 MB might be better than 2 MB in *more scenarios*, but your disk performance would not be 4x better! It won't even be substantially better in most "normal" cases.

For DV editing, you would typically be reading/writing huge files, often sequentially. The buffer size would usually not matter too much, if at all.

The bottomline still is that "more" can't hurt (almost all the time) when it comes to memory/cache/disk, so if you aren't paying a lot just for the sake of the cache - get more. Otherwise, whatever's fine.

-A

Casper Crane  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 07:08 PM

Thanks. That was very helpful answer. I was confused by what you were saying at first, due to my hard disk technical ignorance, but you made a clear point at the end, which is that it shouldn't matter much for DV, but go better if you can.

Thanks.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:

How did you get your .mac renewal coupon to work with an education discount. The education section on the online store doesn't recognize the coupon.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 8, 2003, 11:34 PM

Honestly, I don't think the buffer size makes much of a difference.

tooki

Casper Crane  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
How did you get your .mac renewal coupon to work with an education discount. The education section on the online store doesn't recognize the coupon.

You're right. I just discovered that. Oh well, I guess I will be getting the 120GB after all, especially after hearing from you folks.

Thanks.

CC

Forum Links
Forum Rules