Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking question

Networking question
Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2006, 03:04 PM

I'm using a Dell 3024 switch in a home network that seems to work just fine. The only issue I seem to have is when I wake my machine from sleep it doesn't seem to recognize the network for 15 to 30 seconds. Does anybody know why this is? This wasn't a problem before when everything was just connected to my router.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 3, 2006, 06:38 PM

Some switches don't auto-negotiate correctly. Try using the advanced ethernet preferences in the Network pane of System Preferences to manually set the ethernet settings (most likely 100mbps full-duplex) and see if that helps.

tooki

Back up 15 and punt  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Some switches don't auto-negotiate correctly. Try using the advanced ethernet preferences in the Network pane of System Preferences to manually set the ethernet settings (most likely 100mbps full-duplex) and see if that helps.

tooki
I tried it and it made it worse. Thanks for the idea. I've tried to setting the switch to 100 but that doesn't seem to help either. The next thing I'm going to try is update the switch firmware.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 3, 2006, 08:40 PM

It could be something as simple as a flakey cable. Make sure you use a good cable when you try it next time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
It could be something as simple as a flakey cable. Make sure you use a good cable when you try it next time.

Yeah, thats also one of the things on my list.

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2006, 03:45 PM

For those who are interested, I figured out what the problem was.

A switch that supports spanning tree generally operates the spanning tree algorithm on all the ports by default. The algorithm can take up to 50 seconds to converge and determine if another switch has been connected to the port. So it can determine if a loop has been created and shut down the port.

In the case of a client workstation this obviously does not apply. Cisco overcame this issue by providing a feature called 'portfast'. This is used when you know a workstation will be connected to the switch. This feature disables the spanning tree algorithm on the port and allows it to move into the forwarding state immediately.

Since I have a Dell switch, I simply shutdown the spanning tree. This took care of my problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules