Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MacBook has hosed by local network - ideas, anyone?

MacBook has hosed by local network - ideas, anyone?
stann0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2007, 05:50 AM

I had an iBook and G5 PowerMac successfully connected to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. They could both connect to the web and talk to each other. I've replaced the iBook with a MacBook and now, although they can both still connect to the web as before, they can't connect to each other.

Personal File Sharing is activated on both machines. All firewalls are switched off and I've repaired preferences and run DiscWarrior, etc. I've even tried a fresh OS install on the MacBook. All the IP addresses, subnet masks, etc look correct. I can file share when connecting the 2 comps by ethernet cable.

After upgrading the firmware on the Linksys router, filesharing worked as normal for a few hours, then cut out again for no reason (neither computer had been shut down or even put to sleep). I suspect the router is not working properly with the 'n'-capable card in the MacBook - does anyone know of any diagnostics I might try with the router (btw I've since upgraded it's firmware to - THIS ).

mac1896
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by stann0 View Post
I had an iBook and G5 PowerMac successfully connected to a Linksys WRT54G*...............snip*
Did you verify your model ver. here ?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...RT54G/GL/GS/GX

You will need to read extensively there.
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

stann0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by mac1896 View Post
Did you verify your model ver. here ?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...RT54G/GL/GS/GX

You will need to read extensively there.
Hi mac1896. Yes, I read all that first (btw, mine is v. 3.1, one of the "easy" ones to hack).

But just to emphasise, I only carried out this procedure out of desperation after all else had failed. The filesharing was bust from day 1 of getting the McBook. I tried everything keeping the same router settings (as it had worked so well with the iBook).

I finally upgraded the Linksys with the most recent firmware update available from Linksys site for the 3.1 model. Strangely, filesharing did work after this upgrade for a few hours, then stopped.

After a few more days, and spending literally hours on the phone to Apple tech support (who suggested reinstalling both OS's, which I did!), I tried the DD-WRT hack. Once again, filesharing was OK for a few hours, then stopped!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 27, 2007, 11:27 PM

Just how new is the router, anyway? It sounds like it's screwed up badly, and more than just the firmware is weird. If you can, take it back and get a new one!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

stann0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Just how new is the router, anyway? It sounds like it's screwed up badly, and more than just the firmware is weird. If you can, take it back and get a new one!
Well, it's about 18 months old, so not an antique, but too old to return. I'm just really puzzled as to why it would work seamlessly with the iBook but not handle the MacBook.

I'm also loathed to buy another router (or Airport Extreme when it comes out) and find that doesn't work either.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2007, 01:00 PM

There are some concerns about AirPort and the newer Intel Macs, but I haven't run into any problems on my MacBook Pro (Core Duo, not C2D), so I can't give you any personal tips.

The best advice I could give right now is for you to delete your current "location" from your AirPort settings and use Automatic. If you're already using Automatic, create a new location and use all the defaults. See if these will give you better performance and let us know.

stann0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 07:12 PM

There are some concerns about AirPort and the newer Intel Macs, but I haven't run into any problems on my MacBook Pro (Core Duo, not C2D), so I can't give you any personal tips.

The best advice I could give right now is for you to delete your current "location" from your AirPort settings and use Automatic. If you're already using Automatic, create a new location and use all the defaults. See if these will give you better performance and let us know.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Changing the locations was one of the first things I tried - no luck. I honestly think this is some weirdness with the "n-capable" card in the MacBook and the Linksys router. As I said, my iBook worked no problems at all, and there is definately some communication going on even now when fileharing won't work, because I can wake the G5 from sleep using a couple of the utilities on the MacBook (e.g. WakeOnMac).

I'm considering getting an Airport Express & ditching the Linksys. Is the following network setup possible:

Cable Modem
|
Switch(e.g. D-Link DES-1005D) ---------Airport Express-------MacBook (Airport)
|
Desktop G5
(ethernet)

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2007, 08:42 PM

That setup should work, but you may have some issues with IP addresses. A wired router is more appropriate than the switch in this setup. And to be honest, you'll pay a whole lot of money for the Apple product when your problem is almost certainly NOT because you're using a Linksys wireless router instead of an AirPort Base Station. A new, different wireless router (which could cost you as little as $40 instead of $200) might be the only thing you need.

stann0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 04:56 AM

That setup should work, but you may have some issues with IP addresses. A wired router is more appropriate than the switch in this setup. And to be honest, you'll pay a whole lot of money for the Apple product when your problem is almost certainly NOT because you're using a Linksys wireless router instead of an AirPort Base Station. A new, different wireless router (which could cost you as little as $40 instead of $200) might be the only thing you need.
Thanks again. Any suggestions as to an alternative wireless router to try (BTW, I'm in the UK)? I've spent hours looking at various review articles and forums but usually end up with conflicting advice!

In particular I'd be interested in anyone who is successfully using a wireless router with a MacBook C2D and can fileshare with an ethernet-connected desktop. Cheers.

stann0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 01:55 PM

Another update: A friend had just come by with his PowerBook. He can connect to both my Macbook and G5 and they both connect to his PowerBook. So why the **** can my 2 comps not connect to each other!

Forum Links
Forum Rules