Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever make a huge move?

Ever make a huge move?
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 03:59 AM

I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life. Small town, same old same old, you know the story. My roommates and I are starting to seriously consider making a big move, either to Florida or Arizona. We're financially ready for it and we have some solid career hookups in each location, but there's all sorts of loose ends that need to be tied up and of course that little bit of apprehension about it.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has done this? Pretty much just packing up and moving across the country? How did it go? Good decision or terrible? What were your experiences with it?
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 04:24 AM

Across the country? Across the world, often. Do it - you'd be surprised how little needs tying up. You'll have a great time, and, if you don't, you can always move again!

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 11, 2007, 04:29 AM

My wife and I moved form Scotalnd to Denmark just 6 months ago - logistic nightmare moving with a huge van filled with all our stuff, a VW Passat stationcar and 4 cats...

But it was the best thing we ever did
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 04:31 AM

Consider not moving your stuff. Just get rid of what you cannot carry, or pack in a small box.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 06:38 AM

That's sort of the idea. Pack up my computer and clothes and whatever other smaller stuff I can fit in my car and just go and figure things out when I get there.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 06:45 AM

Its' WHERE specifically you live in the new place that can make the difference. 3 miles can make or break it.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 07:37 AM

Don't do it. Don't ever, ever take a risk, because with risk comes the possibility of regret. Avoid regret at all costs. That's the secret of life.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Don't do it. Don't ever, ever take a risk, because with risk comes the possibility of regret. Avoid regret at all costs. That's the secret of life.
. . . says the guy who packed up his life and moved to Germany from Montana.

(You gotta try harder with your sarcasm if you want it to be believable.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Exactly, never do anything remotely risky, you will have to come home for Christmas and Birthdays anyway so why bother leaving.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 11:54 AM

I moved by myself a few times around the world since 2000. I packed a bunch of clothes and moved to London, then a while later moved to Florida.

In the middle of this year my wife and I packed up everything; which was a lot more than the clothes I left South Africa with, and we moved to New York.
Moving an apartment is a mission but it was well worth it.

Try it, if it doesn't work out and you really hate it, you can always move back.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 12:03 PM

Moved several times and around the world, first to London, then to Toronto. Yes it's work but the rewards are worth it.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 12:09 PM

Sell or give away what you can not carry yourself.

If your too attached to all your junk you will never move very far.

Each time i move, i sell or give away everything and start again with a clean slate.

IKEA is located conveniently in most places.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2007, 12:27 PM

I've moved across the country and internationally more than a couple of times. Peeb's advice to eliminate as much as you can is VERY good. The fewer things you have to pack up, relocate, and then unpack, the better.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 12:29 PM

Started in Virginia, moved to Florida, and then moved to Wisconsin.

I haven't been affected by any of the moves, and I've never been attached to many of my things. I think I've liked Florida the best though. I might move back there at some point in my life.

By the way, good to hear from a fellow Wisconsinite.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 12:57 PM

I made one in the Empire State Building.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
. . . says the guy who packed up his life and moved to Germany from Montana.

(You gotta try harder with your sarcasm if you want it to be believable.)
Damn. Busted.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Yep - for a modest fee, you can pick up exactly the same stuff you had from Ikea in a completely different place!

Sealobo
Dec 11, 2007, 01:12 PM

It's a luxury to drop everything and move to a new life. New friends, new career, new everything.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 01:16 PM

Moved from Washington DC area (Virginia) to the UK ~2 years ago. I was living in a house less than 5 miles from the house my family was living in when I was born when we made the move. It was unexpected and we had little time to consider it. It was fantastic.

We brought a bunch of stuff we didn't need and left some stuff we did, but given the time-scales, we couldn't have done much more planning. Go for it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by vexborg View Post
... a VW Passat stationcar and 4 cats...
Uh oh.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
It's a luxury to drop everything and move to a new life. New friends, new career, new everything.
Dude, I had enough trouble with the everything I already have.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2007, 03:26 PM

I've lived on different continents. 8 years in Libya, 2 years in Malta and the rest of my life in Germany.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2007, 03:32 PM

Let's see, I've lived in: New Jersey, San Francisco, Minnesota, China, and Boston. Within the next five years we plan to move somewhere new. Probably either New York or Seattle, but Vancouver is very attractive, as is London, and I wouldn't mind spending a few years in South America, Australia, or the Philippines.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 03:41 PM

The Philippines? Are you wife hunting?

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 03:46 PM

Wow, thanks for all the input guys. It's good to hear everyones stories. I'm not really scared at this point, I'm kinda just wanting to hear people's success/failure stories and gather some tips and get that last little push and bit of motivation.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
The Philippines? Are you wife hunting?
Nah, already got one.

Just seems like a nice place to disappear to.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 03:55 PM

Yeah, after your current wife 'disappears'.

I'm on to you, Mr. Bell.
I'm also incredibly bored, if you haven't noticed.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 06:37 PM

Lived in 5 different cities in 3 countries in the last 6 years, If you and your partner are mobile you are a very attractive proposition to employers, if you are willing to move to a country with low or zero income tax, then you could save a fortune.

I don't agree dumping everything is the best idea, especially if you are married (not sure if you are).
If you leave a lot of things in your home town you will probably end up paying storage fee's, if you bring the essentials (things you can never throw away) with you, you will feel at home a lot quicker and there will be less stress on your relationship with your wife, it may also save you money in the long run.

If you have nothing you can't live without, then give it all away and start again.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Yeah, after your current wife 'disappears'.

I'm on to you, Mr. Bell.
I'm also incredibly bored, if you haven't noticed.
How much will it take to keep you quiet? I'll see to it that the Krampus brings you something nice for Christmas.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 11:06 PM

Every place I've lived has been related to school so I don't count it as a real move. I lived in Maryland for college and lived in Israel for a year before college. Then I spent 8 months living in Jersey, a year in suffolk county, and now 6 months in nassau county with my wife.
She isn't the type to want to move far, but hopefully we'll get to travel to half the places you guys have lived.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 11:57 PM

I'm not married but I do have a kinda sorta serious girlfriend that is factoring into my decision. However, I feel like I am maybe being a little too hesitant to move because of that fact. Sometimes she says she wants to go along if I move and sometimes I feel like she doesn't and she is just saying she wants to move because everyone has that feeling one time or another but when push comes to shove I don't think she'd come along. I'm a little worried that I'm going to make a terrible decision by leaving her, but a part of me thinks I just need to go and see what else is out there. I realize there comes a point when you need to do things for yourself and be a little selfish for your own good and I shouldn't put my life on hold for someone else, especially for something that is so uncertain (hell, we could break up in a month for all I know). It's a lot to think about. Sorry for going on and on about this.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Spliff
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 12:10 AM

Those of you that moved to other countries, did you have a job in the new country before leaving? And how much of a hassle is it to get approved to work in a new country?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 02:02 AM

Sometimes, and it depends entirely on the country, and the relative visa requirements, and the job you want. Do your research thoroughly into the specific requirements before you leave without a job, unless you are prepared to take a long vacation on the off-chance of finding something.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
Those of you that moved to other countries, did you have a job in the new country before leaving? And how much of a hassle is it to get approved to work in a new country?
Much easier if you plan on not working and going to a university full time in the host country. Also, a sugardaddy helps. Easy!

But seriously, residence/citizenship are practically birth-into privileges of a few people in the right family. E.g.
If your parents are European, free entry to the EU
If you are a Jew, you have free entry to Israel
US parents, automatic US citizenship
Japanese parents, free entry to Japan
Etc, etc for any country with a chain immigration policy
If you have none of of these, then you have to marry a guy in Massachusetts, or something.
( Last edited by The Godfather; Dec 12, 2007 at 03:57 AM. )

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Nah, already got one.

Just seems like a nice place to disappear to.
It is a very dirty place, and it is very very humid. When I first stepped off of the plane and walked outside the airport it was like a wall of hot water hit me. You get used to the heat and hummidity, but the dirtiness is hard to ignore. I have been to the big cities and to the very very small cities and they are all dirty. The people drop their trash wherever they feel like it, and you can pee practically anywhere (though the "Don't Pee Here" signs are fairly prevelant).

I enjoyed my time there, I would like to go back to visit, but I don't think I would pick it as a place to live again for more than a couple of months.

And the hospitals are horrible... dirty, yucky places to be sick in.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 05:46 AM

I did- it was the source/cause of the move. How much of a hassle it is would depend entirely on the host country. However, if you have in demand skills for the country you want to go to, it should be easier. Keeping in mind, however, that even though I was moving with a job with the same company I was working for in the USA, it was a long process and, I'm told, pretty expensive (company covered the costs). Wherever you go, I would think patience and determination would be essential.

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 12, 2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Uh oh.
And just imagine the "fun" when one of the cats gets motionsick just north of London on the M25, and only gets a wee bit better when we get to Dover... Not my idea of a lovely day...

The whole move took 36 hours with just a couple of breaks on the way through France, Belgium, Holland and Germany...
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 07:44 AM

Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon...
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Sell or give away what you can not carry yourself.

If your too attached to all your junk you will never move very far.

Each time i move, i sell or give away everything and start again with a clean slate.

I disagree. I've moved dozens of times, sometimes a LONG way and have always taken everything with me and it's been great. Moving trucks are very cheap if you drive uhauls and it saves you the money of buying a bunch of new crap when you get there and your new home will feel like home much faster. Only worth it if you like your stuff though obviously.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2007, 07:51 AM

I moved all the way from smalltown Canada to Japan. Best thing I ever did.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
It is a very dirty place, and it is very very humid. When I first stepped off of the plane and walked outside the airport it was like a wall of hot water hit me. You get used to the heat and hummidity, but the dirtiness is hard to ignore. I have been to the big cities and to the very very small cities and they are all dirty. The people drop their trash wherever they feel like it, and you can pee practically anywhere (though the "Don't Pee Here" signs are fairly prevelant).

I enjoyed my time there, I would like to go back to visit, but I don't think I would pick it as a place to live again for more than a couple of months.

And the hospitals are horrible... dirty, yucky places to be sick in.
Good to know. Although it basically sounds like a combination of Jamaica and China, both places I've spent a lot of time.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 08:01 AM

The first time I stepped out of my hometown (Europe to China) it was a gamble and a risk and I had no job ready for me upon arrival. I got a job in Beijing because I needed one, anyone with brains and guts can do it

The next 3 cities I moved too had fantastic jobs waiting for me, only because I took the gamble with the first move.

5 years later = 5 x the salary of the first job and double what my friends back home make and living in one of the coolest cities on the world.

If you have nothing to lose you owe it to yourself to move.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon...
So you've given up on being a mental doss flycoon? Pity.

spliff, my international moves were at the bequest of my uncle, a guy named Sam. While he took care of the bills for these moves, the undertakings were personal challenges, to say the least. So yes, I had a job that drove my international moves (in both directions).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
living in one of the coolest cities in the world.
Exactly.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 11:22 AM

That depends entirely. If you're moving on your own then you better make sure that you've got your ducks in a row and your visa approved - otherwise you'll be joining the ranks of illegal immigrants. If you are being sent by a company then this is normally not something you need to worry about, but the opportunities tend to be time limited. Canada, for example, gives work visas for a maximum of three years. Within these three years you can apply for permanent residency, but not all countries are as immigrant friendly as we are.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I made one in the Empire State Building.
funny stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules