Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X/NT4/Finder scrolling weirdness

X/NT4/Finder scrolling weirdness
agentz
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 02:33 PM

Hi
Ok, if this has aready been posted to death then I'm sorry in advance but I did a search and all I found was a thread about flickering IE windows... (also I'm really really new to X so forgive me if my terminology is a little off!)

At work on an iMac running 10.1.3 I connected to a share on one of our NT4 SP6 boxes to allow me to drag some files down to the iMac and burn them onto CD.

Got logged on to the server OK and navigated to the folder that I needed to be in. The file that I want is right at the bottom of the window so I grab the blue rectangle in the scroll bar and move it down.

Blam! The machine really quickly blue-screens, then it was for all the world like the finder reloads, and I'm back at my desktop with all windows closed.

Thought that it was a really weird one off occurrence - not so... practically every time I attempted this the same thing happened. It did eventually let me scroll to the bottom of the window.

I've been able to replicate it while browsing other folders on the NT box, and I've also been able to replicate it on an iBook running 10.1.2

Has anyone seen this before and know if I can stop it happening?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

agentz  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2002, 10:21 AM

More information:
I've just checked this again, and it only appears to happen when connecting to the NT box (in fact any NT box) via Appletalk. Connect via SMB and all is well.

It also definately doesn't happen connecting to a G4 server.

mikelyxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 10:50 AM

This is a known problem with OS X connecting via AppleTalk (not AFP over IP) to an NT Server. Check out Apple's discussion boards under OS X/Networking.

FYI...Although it's not a solution, check out the shareware finder SNAX. I've been able to successfully navigate my NT box with it. I still get poor network performance using AppleTalk however.

Hope this helps.

Michael

agentz  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2002, 03:04 PM

Mike - thanks for the pointers. At least I know now that its not just me!

Yeah I know, in this day and age we really ought to not be using Appletalk, but I'm dreading my users trying to connect to NT boxes by having (like its a hardship) to type in a path.

Cheers again
Z

Forum Links
Forum Rules