Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Mac laptop

New Mac laptop
w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 12:41 PM

When are new revisions coming out? I'd like to buy soon, but can wait a couple of weeks if there's an update soon.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 01:12 PM

Anytime within the next couple of months seems very likely.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2008, 01:24 PM

Chipset for the new MacBook Pros launched July 11... Apple typically takes a month or two to implement a new chipset after Intel launches it.
Chipset for the new MacBooks is coming in September... same lag time.

w8ing4intelmacs  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 02:38 PM

So, you think new MBPs will be announced before new MBs? I have to admit it was a little strange to see both lines updated at the same time last time.

kurt.physics
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2008, 07:15 PM

Ok, i just have a question on this same topic.

Im am also getting a macbook soon, say i was to wait till the end of September for these new macbooks to come out (which i probably will), Is it safe to get one the day after they come out, or do i have to wait for x weeks for them to iron out all the kinks and bugs that may arise?

If i do have to wait till they fix the bugs etc, how long would i have to wait?

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2008, 08:18 PM

You'd have to wait quite a while for ALL the flaws to be ironed out, so you're probably best off just umping in and hoping for the best. Chances are you;ll get a great computer, but if there is something wrong, Apple's warranty service is great and will definitely help you out.

kurt.physics
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
You'd have to wait quite a while for ALL the flaws to be ironed out, so you're probably best off just umping in and hoping for the best. Chances are you;ll get a great computer, but if there is something wrong, Apple's warranty service is great and will definitely help you out.
Yeh, is suppose. I pretty much did the same thing when the new iMac intel (not silver) came out back in 2005, the first day it was out i purchased it, but then about two year later (earlier this year) the logic board turned to crap 3 times so apple (with apple care) gave me a new silver one, so sick!

I will take your advice and hope for the best

Cheers

w8ing4intelmacs  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 10:38 PM

i'll throw in another vote against "avoid the Rev A" hype. Stay cutting edge!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by w8ing4intelmacs View Post
So, you think new MBPs will be announced before new MBs? I have to admit it was a little strange to see both lines updated at the same time last time.
Yes.

Originally Posted by kurt.physics View Post
Im am also getting a macbook soon, say i was to wait till the end of September for these new macbooks to come out (which i probably will), Is it safe to get one the day after they come out, or do i have to wait for x weeks for them to iron out all the kinks and bugs that may arise?
Buy on release day. I'd expect the MacBook upgrade in October or November rather than September.

w8ing4intelmacs  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008, 12:24 AM

[QUOTE=mduell;3702361 I'd expect the MacBook upgrade in October or November rather than September.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. That will surely dampen the hopes of the Macbook wanters

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 02:39 AM

Intel's a bit late with the chipset, and I think the Pro and Air upgrades will be prioritized over it.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Intel's a bit late with the chipset, and I think the Pro and Air upgrades will be prioritized over it.
Of course rumors have been circulating about Apple using non-Intel motherboards as the basis for new Macs, so who knows.....
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 3, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
Of course rumors have been circulating about Apple using non-Intel motherboards as the basis for new Macs, so who knows.....
If it doesn't allow for installation of Windows then I think it would be a bad idea at this point. Being able to also install Windows has been a good selling point for some people I know who have switched to Mac. Until Macs become the majority having the option to install Windows is a great selling point for people who are hesitating about switching.

I personally like the idea of not having to buy two computers just to run some of my Windows only programs. I would really hate to lose that option.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
If it doesn't allow for installation of Windows then I think it would be a bad idea at this point. Being able to also install Windows has been a good selling point for some people I know who have switched to Mac. Until Macs become the majority having the option to install Windows is a great selling point for people who are hesitating about switching.

I personally like the idea of not having to buy two computers just to run some of my Windows only programs. I would really hate to lose that option.
Apple would continue to use Intel CPUs and windows compatible hardware, they would just be using motherboards made by a company other than Intel.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
The rumor is using non-Intel chipsets; Apple would still design their own logic board and outsource the manufacturing to an ODM. The rumor is batshit insane for most of the Mac lines; it's maybe kinda sorta plausible for the MacBook and Mac mini, but still unlikely IMO.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 03:10 PM

Apple will get components from Intel before they release the X4500 Cantiga chipsets (the ones the MBs will get) to other manufacturers. The MBP Cantiga is already here. Apple has started getting MBP components and will start MB production at the end of Aug. Expect new MBs and MBP within a week of each other in Sep. The MBA has lower priority. Expect it in Oct or Nov.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Apple will get components from Intel before they release the X4500 Cantiga chipsets (the ones the MBs will get) to other manufacturers.
Is this a schedule change from the past few revisions? It usually takes Apple a couple months after public chipset release (and all the other OEMs announcements) to release the a MacBook.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The MBP Cantiga is already here.
Do you mean the Cantiga chipset for the MBP is already at Apple? Good to confirm they didn't lose their heads and go with a third party, but other OEMs have already released Cantiga-based laptops so the possession of the chipsets isn't a surprise.

arng1
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008, 04:22 PM

Rumors of new macs here
new case design for pro here and aluminum macbook with glass track pad? here

Of course these are just rumors, but not to far fetched all things considered....

w8ing4intelmacs  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 11:46 AM

haha. i didn't think outside links were allowed

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2008, 04:47 PM

yep, september announcements.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules