Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3Gs & iOS5

3Gs & iOS5
glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2011, 08:20 PM

Looking for some input.

My wife's VZ contract is up on 7-19-11. She would like to purchase the $49 3Gs from at&t and add it to our at&t family plan. This is in my name and currently has two 4's and another 3Gs that will be replaced by whatever, if anything in Aug/Sept.

My concern is how the 3Gs will handle iOS 5, and what would her user experience be like? I have a hard time swallowing Apples claims of compatibility with code optimized for the A Series Chips starting in 5. She is not interested in streaming, and the phone would be on a Wi-Fi Network 60% of the time. She will most likely be using apps that involve lists, scheduling, contacts, reminders, and meal planning for herself. No GPS, tracking, or games.

She could care less about waiting for what ever is coming. I think she should simply purchase a 4 next week. It will handle iOS 5 better IMO, and none of us really care about LTE.

What would you suggest to her?

TIA.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2011, 02:59 AM

My concern is how the 3Gs will handle iOS 5, and what would her user experience be like
My concern as well. I have a White 3GS 32GB which I am not going to replace anytime soon, serves me well, love its form factor. I don't care either for GPS, games or anything that might stress the 3GS guts. It is not just my thing.

I understand that with iOS 5 my phone will become the lowest side of the iPhone totem and that means compromises.
So far all I have read is that some CPU hungry features will not be present on the 3GS, most of them with zero value to me, like photo editing on the iPhone, other features might be a concern, like Safari lacking tabs if ran on the 3GS; luckily, I rely on iCab Mobile which is much better anyhow.

I just don't want a sluggish experience, needless to say I would recommend the iPhone 4 to anyone looking for a new iPhone, it just 'makes sense'. Nevertheless, since Apple has included the 3GS as supported, I want to believe that iOS 5 is not going to make such an user experience drastic change -for worst- overnight.

glideslope  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2011, 09:32 AM

TKS.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2011, 05:57 PM

If the performance of iOS5 on the 3GS is anything like iOS4 was on the 3G, I'd forget about it. Even after all the subsequent patches, a 3G phone is barely usable running iOS4. I'd expect the 3GS to hold up a bit better, but I'd be surprised if anyone was actually very happy running the next OS on it. Assuming that I'm right, the question becomes does your wife care about the extra features in iOS5? If not, then no worries just stick with 4 and be done with it; if she does want iOS5, then pick up an iPhone 4, or wait for the 5. My 2 cents.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2011, 09:22 PM

One the one hand,i question that wisdom of buying a 3GS at this point given how old it is now. On the other hand, I think Apple most likely learned its lesson with the poor performance of the 3G in iOS 4 and won't be making that same mistake with the 3GS on iOS 5. Also, what many don't understand is that the 3GS and 4G have the same microprocessor. The 4G has more memory sandwiched on top, but the microprocessor itself is the same.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2011, 02:27 PM

The 4 has the 1Ghz A4 processor, the 3Gs has a 600 something Mhz processor. The 4 is definitely a lot faster which is why it can handle the Retina display.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2011, 04:40 PM

Video of iOS 5 on an iPhone 3GS and a 4 side by side | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

This is encouraging.

I'm also somewhat concerned. I need to decide soon if I'm going to spend another year with my 3GS or upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it comes out. More and more I'm thinking I'm just going to tough it out with my 3GS for another year.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
I have a hard time swallowing Apples claims of compatibility with code optimized for the A Series Chips starting in 5.
The 3GS and 4 are the same ARM core, Cortex-A8. The A5 in the iPad and likely next iPhone is a newer core (Cortex-A9).

Forum Links
Forum Rules