Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Painting my G4 powerbook

Painting my G4 powerbook
Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 06:24 AM

In a few days, I'll be taking my scratched up titanium powerbook apart... sand and paint the case... coming soon.

will cover the lid part with plastic film to protect the paint...
( Last edited by Alezone; Oct 29, 2004 at 05:20 AM. )
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2004, 06:26 AM

Then you should create a thread AFTER the fact.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Then you should create a thread AFTER the fact.

agreed, it's like all those shapeshifter 2.0!!!

posts that starts with the message, shapeshifter 2.0 is coming out soon .. let's start a countdown thread .. etc

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 11:39 PM

guess what... hehe~

I'm halfway done, expect to see the final product on Friday night ET.
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 12:58 AM

finally, top case is covered with plastic layer for protect and maximum shine!

( Last edited by Alezone; Oct 31, 2004 at 01:15 AM. )

songoku912
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2004, 12:26 PM

looks really good!

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 09:57 AM

Don't forget to post instructions. I want to do it too. :-)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 10:02 AM

That actually doesn't look bad, though could you try a few shots with better lighting? The yellowish tint makes everything a big muddled. And details of the job, time, work, steps, etc, would be nice. Do you .mac? Be a perfect page for it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 05:03 PM

no rocket science... I'd put it on .Mac if i had enough pictures during the whole process, but i didn't since my hands were so dirty due to water sanding. It took me 2 nights without using the computer.

1. to spray the top case first, use marking tape to cover everything that u do not wish to spray. Including EVERYTHING (Including the hinges). And the glowing apple logo, tape it and use a cutter to slowly cut out the extra tapes. Now it's the screen!!! BE VERY CAREFUL, you don't want to spray your screen!! cut out a cardboard, leave an inch of each side so you can use marking tape to cover the edges of the screen, double check that the entire screen is covered and the tape is secured. +cover the lock mechanism as well. Tape over it

(it's the MOST important part of all)

2. If you have power tool to do the sanding, it's recommanded. I use 2000 water sand paper to smoothen the surface with my hand, no power tool. beware not to sand the apple logo.

3. When you're done, clean it and make sure no oil or residue is left on the surface, and dry it thoroughly.

4. Spray it! Result depending on what kind of paint you use and your skill level (experience), don't over spray. Let each layer dry over night before you do anything else.

5. When it's done, slowly remove all the tape, be careful not to pull too hard on the screen.

6. For the body, again, tape all the edges that you do not what to paint. Sand, clean and then I use a small brush to paint. Let dry over night.

7. Last thing to do, is the "PLASTIC COVER" that I used to cover the top case. It's actually a 5% AUTO Window Tint. If anyone is interested in knowing how to properly stick on a window tint, drop a line.

Good Luck, and I don't recommend this if your powerbook is in good shape. I did this because my powerbook was all scratched up.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 10:10 PM

Pretty cool. I like the flat look better.

Anyone ever try anodizing their Titanium/Aluminum PB's?
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

oojacoboo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 08:40 PM

I would love for you to post this mod on macmod. If you took alot of pictures and whatnot. Just register an account and submit the mod guide to macmod for all the readers to see. It is a great place to have all your information located, and it also provides information for future modders when troubleshooting. Be sure to include a good description of the steps

Cheers,
Jacob

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 11:01 AM

because of the Titanium paint problem, i sandpapered my 15" Ti 3 years ago. It went horribly woring. The carbon sides tend to damage easily when sanded, and the handrests near the trackpad get really greasy (sweat).

I still have the case. Appearantly, i am the only one who likes it.
i have a 17" now
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules