Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Webcam's for macs and iSight's capabilities

Webcam's for macs and iSight's capabilities
Brtnboarder495
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2005, 05:06 PM

From what I understand, iSight is the only option for a webcam for macs, correct? If there are other options, posting them here would be great.

Also, what are the capabilities of isight? Can it be used just like a PC webcam, or is it limited to just the use of iChat?

Thanks.

fobside
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 11:52 AM

From reading in these forums, there are other options for webcams, but the iSight seems to be prefered, even by those that have tried other web cams.

I just got an iSight and I am also curious as to what else I can do with the iSight. I know I should be able to capture images and video. Are there any other fun applications to the iSight?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 01:28 PM

The iSight can be used as a web cam in any Mac-compatible video chat program, not just iChat.
It also is not limited to use as a web cam. There's a game, for example, that uses the iSight to put the player on-screen, while she/he tries to swat superimposed baddies (can't recall the name of the game right at the moment... EyeToy I think or something like that). It can be used to take time-lappsed photos, as an intruder alarm/motion sensor, and one of the coolest things done with an iSight is as a barcode scanner in the application Delicious Library. You scan in DVDs, CDs and books via the barcode (just hold up the barcode to the camera), then the details, cover picture, etc., is downloaded from the web right in to the cataloging app.

The iSight is just like any other webcam for the PC, and can be used in any way you want, but is of far, far better quality than the $39 USB cams found at ChumpUSA.

Oh, there is also a shareware app/driver someplace that will allow you to use many/most PC-centric cheapo USB webcams on the Mac, if you choose.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 02:41 PM

There are lots of webcams available for the Mac. iSight is certainly the best. However, if you have, or are planning to get, a mini-DV cam, those work very well with iChat and make the iSight look like a cheap toy.

andersbk
Aug 21, 2005, 04:42 PM

Does anyone use iSight with any of the MSN clients like aMSN, Adium og Mercury?

Does it work?

I've tried connecting my video camera with USB and Firewire, but i haven't gotten it to work.

Any tips?

What are your setups for webcam with MSN? camera/software?
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz/2GB/100GB/Superdrive + 20" Cinema Display
40GB iPod Photo - 2 x LaCie D2 250GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules