Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > confused about dvi connectors...

confused about dvi connectors...
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2007, 09:38 PM

hello

I'm looking for a graphics card for my G4 that will let me use two monitors as an extended desktop

I have found one (ATI Radeon 7000 64MB AGP Graphics Card Mac G4)

but it has a VGA connector and a DVI connector

I need to get a DVI to VGA connector but apparently there is more then one type of DVI - for example DVI-D, DVI-M, DVI-I

any ideas?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 10:06 PM

You need the DVI-VGA adapter that is designed to work with that Radeon card. If you're buying the card new/retail, it probably comes with it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 04:48 AM

If you want to go from DVI to VGA all you need is the DVI->VGA adapter (they're really cheap, we have dozens lying around here). There are different types of DVI plugs but this shouldn't bother you since you're going VGA anyway. DVI-D carries only the digital information (just make sure the DVI plug on your card isn't DVI-D, but it's probably not). The card will likely have DVI-I (both analog and digital information) and so you simply hook it up to any VGA screen with a cheap adapter like this one.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 07:22 AM

FYI, that card is a flashed peecee version.......the Radeon 7000 Mac version only had 32mb of vram

But if the seller is NOT including that adapter (which normally comes with the card) then perhaps you should negotiate a discount ..............
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 10:22 AM

And to alleviate concerns, flashed cards normally work pretty good. I have a flashed Radeon 9800 Pro in my Power Mac with 256 Mb of VRAM and it's been working great for over a year.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
And to alleviate concerns, flashed cards normally work pretty good. I have a flashed Radeon 9800 Pro in my Power Mac with 256 Mb of VRAM and it's been working great for over a year.
me2 notta problemo!
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules