Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > RIM announces global BlackBerry 10 launch event for January

RIM announces global BlackBerry 10 launch event for January
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 12, 2012, 04:57 AM

Research In Motion is planning to launch BlackBerry 10 on January 30th, CEO Thorsten Heins has revealed. A launch event for the mobile operating system will take place in a number of countries around the world, which will also play host to the first public unveiling of two new smartphones running BlackBerry 10.

In a company blog post, Heins extolled the virtues of the new mobile OS, claiming it to have the "best in class browser, a rich application ecosystem, and cutting edge multimedia capabilities," all integrated into a single user experience called BlackBerry Flow. He also thanked the "strong partnerships" with carriers, as well as app developers working on the growing software catalog. The two-month advance notice of such an event is unusual, though it could be a way for the company to try and fight the damage caused by an analyst predicting that BlackBerry 10 devices would debut in March and miss the fourth fiscal quarter. While a launch event is not the same as putting a handset on sale, with any announced smartphones likely to appear on the market a month or more afterward, just announcing the event may offer some form of protection to the stock price.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2013, 12:46 PM

Could this be RIM's last ditch effort to save itself from (or at least delay) it's ultimate demise ?

Personally, I think it would be very interesting to see if they can actually put out something that can challenge any of the other top smartphones.

To accomplish anything other than wasting even more of their stockholder's money, they better have an OS that is easy to use, fast and unbloated. And the handsets will have to be top-notch as well, not like the slow, clunky, complicated POS's they have had for soooo many yearz.....

We'll see on 1/30
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules