Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > UK judge asks Apple to announce Samsung didn't copy iPad

UK judge asks Apple to announce Samsung didn't copy iPad
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 18, 2012, 09:41 AM

A British judge has ordered Apple to publicly state that Samsung didn't copy the iPad, reports say. A notice will soon have to appear on the company's UK website, as well as in regional newspapers. The website notice, which has yet to go live, must stay in place for six months.

Apple recently lost a case against Samsung over the design of the Galaxy Tab. While Apple has regularly tried to argue that the Tab closely mimics the iPad's design, the judge who ruled in favor of Samsung went as far as to say the Tab was "not as cool" as the iPad, since it doesn't "have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design." Apple has, however, won injunctions against the Tab in the US and Germany.

LenE
Jul 18, 2012, 10:07 AM

In the UK, the judges, rather than justice, must be blind.

Kees
Jul 18, 2012, 10:18 AM

According to Brirish law, a Samsung Galaxy Tab is not as cool, nor as well designed as an iPad. Therefore, we shall refrain from calling the Galaxy Tab a copy of iPad.

Instead, we'll call it the ugly nephew.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2012, 11:01 AM

Looking forward to Apple's announcement. I envision a 2-page ad that reads something like this:

"Samsung didn't copy the iPad. But really, who could?"

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2012, 04:36 PM

The Judge should hold Steve Jobs by the scruff of the neck and make him say that. If only that weasel was still around...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 04:40 PM

It was my understanding that cheap, shoddy copies were just as illegal as accurate forgeries. British legal system FTW as usual.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2012, 06:47 PM

NA GA HA PEN.

Apple will flip the judge the bird and will NEVER run that notice. Indeed, they've already appealed.

I think they have a strong case -- on the grounds that it is also illegal to put false claims on your website.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules