Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple creates custom tool for removing U2 album from iTunes accounts

Apple creates custom tool for removing U2 album from iTunes accounts
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 15, 2014, 03:22 PM

Responding to complaints, Apple has created a special web tool for removing U2's Songs of Innocence album from an iTunes account. Users must sign in with an Apple ID, and the company cautions that once the album is removed, people must purchase it if they want it again. The record is still free until October 13th.

Apple further notes that if the music was downloaded to a computer or iOS device, users will have to delete local files manually. This was the main source of complaints, since iTunes and iOS devices can be set to download account items automatically. As a result, some people have seen the album consume storage space and bandwidth even though they didn't intend to listen to it. People who don't have the option on must at least hide the album in iTunes if they don't want to see it in their library.

On September 12th, Apple said that people had downloaded Songs of Innocence over 2 million times. It's uncertain how many of those downloads were involuntary.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2014, 05:34 PM

Apparently we now live in a world where people can no longer figure out how to hit "delete" on their own, but can install a tool to do it for them. :-(
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2014, 01:18 AM

FWIW, I'm not a big U2 fan, but neither am I a mindless U2 hater. I took a listen to it today, and in my opinion its the best thing they've done in years. I quite like it.

That said, I can appreciate that some users who have no interest in rock music generally -- or just don't like U2, that's fine -- would not want the record, even for free, in their "purchased" library, so I'm glad Apple made the tool available (cuz deleting things is hard, apparently).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2014, 01:19 AM

BTW, if Apple is taking requests for a future similar promotion -- the next Bowie album would be quite welcome.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 16, 2014, 10:23 AM

I agree with the above sentiments. I am a U2 fan, but even if it were a Miley Cyrus album, I'd not put up the sh!tstorm some people have about this being on their phone. (I'd venture to say most of those doing this don't own an iPhone and/or are Apple-hating Android users.)

To think that someone would go to the effort of switching on the automatic download option for iTunes and then seem to by completely lost or inconvenienced on having to delete this particular album, seems disingenuous. Surely if you're savvy enough to appreciate the convenience of the option, then you're savvy enough to kindly decline the nice offer of free music from Apple.

Kees
Sep 16, 2014, 03:14 PM

I have it on my iPhone, though I haven't listened to it. For whatever reason, it is not showing up anywhere on any of my Macs in iTunes. I downloaded it onto my iPhone in the hopes of subsequently finding it in purchases or available downloads in my iTunes library. It's nowhere to be found, except on my iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules