Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum

FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 12, 2014, 10:01 PM

Over the objections of carriers and cable companies, the FCC on Friday voted to change the definition of the term "broadband" to require a minimum speed of 10 megabits (one megabit equals one-eighth of a megabyte) per second (Mbps) download speed -- an upgrade from the previous definition of 4Mbps -- while keeping the old definition's requirement of at least 1Mbps upload. Although the US is far behind many other countries in typical broadband speed (and US customers pay more for the slower speed that typical prices in many other places), AT&T and Verizon, along with the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, argued that 4Mbps was sufficient for consumers.

For now, the rule only affects broadband networks that are paid for by the Connect America Fund, but the FCC is very likely to make the change apply to all broadband networks in due course. The upgrade will, in particular, have a noticeable impact on connections for customers who live in rural areas of the US, as nearly all urban-area dwellers in the US already enjoy at least the option of 10Mbps or higher service. The change, if applied to all networks, would force providers to offer the same quality of service to rural customers as it does to city users.

The uptick in minimum speed "is an increase reflecting marketplace and technological changes that have occurred since the FCC set its previous requirement of 4Mbps/1Mbps speeds in 2011," the FCC said in a statement. Chairperson Tom Wheeler, in explaining the decision, said that "when 60 percent of the Internet's traffic at prime time is video, and it takes four or 5Mbps [just] to deliver video, a 4Mbps connection isn't exactly what's necessary in the 21st century."

The FCC emphasized rural customers in its decision, saying that all Americans must at least have access to 10/1 broadband speeds so as not to create a "digital divide" between urban and rural, or richer/poorer social classes. The agency is planning to offer $1.8 billion each year in subsidies to carriers that will expand service to some five million rural customers in the US. The subsidies would continue for six years, up from the previous five-year offer.

The FCC also voted to increase funding for its E-rate program, which subsidizes broadband and higher-speed connections at schools and libraries. Both the Connect America and E-rate programs are paid for by cellular and traditional phone customers, who pay a surcharge on their phone bills to fund the programs.

The E-rate program will expand from $2.4 billion $3.9 billion per year, which will cost phone customers an extra 16 cents per month on average. The increase was opposed by Republican FCC commissioners Ajit Pai and Michael O'Rielly -- though interestingly, Pai wanted to increase the subsidy given to cable companies through the Connect America rural program from five years to 10 years, without offering a way to pay for that.

The definition of "broadband" is likely to continue increasing in future years, particularly as America will still lag behind many competitive countries that put more emphasis on Internet infrastructure rather than business benefits (such as the "fast lanes" concept the FCC is also debating). Wheeler noted that worldwide, an average broadband speed of 25Mbps is rapidly becoming the standard, an issue that the US will have to address if it wants to match the "'table stakes' of 21st-century communications."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM. )

Kees
Dec 13, 2014, 08:39 AM

Wow, that is a big difference. Even 10mbit is really slow. I don't think I could find an Internet connection that slow even if I tried here in the Netherlands. Slowest my provider offers is 50mbit. I assume it's better in the bigger cities? Here it's easier to build the infrastructure because Holland is small and very densily populated, I guess. But still, even having a discussion about 4 mbit being sufficient is absurd.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2014, 09:37 AM

The FCC made a good choice. Never forget that for some people cost is a major factor. 10 Mbs is about right. I've got a 20 MPs plan and it does all I need. Raising it higher might mean broadband companies wouldn't offer low-end plans since they couldn't call them broadband. It might also delay the spread of broadband to rural areas for much the same reason.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2014, 09:54 AM

Do we want to publish here how fast (slow) our own connections are? I'll start:

How low can YOU go?!
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Dec 13, 2014, 02:54 PM

@ Kees
Agreed. And I'm curious about your upload speed. I'm actually surprised that they list the minimum upload at 1 Mbps, as I know a lot of people with only 512 Kbps or even less. And, that IMO, might be worse than the 4 Mbps download, especially given all the cloud technology, or stuff like VoIP or Skype.

The other thing to note is the cost. Even in cities where higher speeds are available, (at least here in Canada, and probably similar in the USA) a plan with 50 Mbps down and 2-3 Mbps up runs around $70-80 /month. And, the low cost plans which would meet these standards (10 down, 1 up) will still probably cost at least $50 /month.

My understanding is that where many countries have far faster broadband than the USA (and Canada), it's also typically far less expensive. So, we're really behind on both cases, speed and cost.

Yes, the actual wiring and infrastructure is still an issue in some very rural areas, but I think most in or even near small towns have copper telephone wiring and cable-TV available (which, especially the cable TV) are capable of fairly high speeds. The problem is that they aren't regulated and there is no competition. So, they can charge pretty much whatever they like. And, they are powerful enough (monopoly) to keep out any competition that tries to start up in a geographical area (they just hammer them with frivolous lawsuits until they go out of business).
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Ham Sandwich
Dec 14, 2014, 07:32 PM

There is also a non-Flash speed tester such as Bandwidthplace: Speed Test by Bandwidth Place for Laptop, Desktop, Mobile, or Tablet Devices

which, for whatever reason, seems to give me < 20 Mbps when I am supposed to get 30 Mbps...

Kees
Dec 15, 2014, 05:39 AM

@ Steve. My upload speed is 6mbit. I'm paying €45,-, but that's including cable tv and Phone services.
€56,- would get me 120 and 12 but I'm fine with what I have.

(Alles-in-1 Basis - Pakketten - UPC Nederland)

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2014, 06:16 AM

Martin in the Scottish Highlands

Forum Links
Forum Rules