Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple surprises with new MacBook

Apple surprises with new MacBook
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 9, 2015, 01:49 PM

Apple on Monday surprised observers with the unveiling of a new MacBook, featuring a 12-inch Retina display, a motherboard that is 67 percent smaller than even the MacBook Air, a new fanless design that is even thinner than the Air, but retains the all-day battery life. The new MacBook comes in at two pounds even, and also features an all-new keyboard and trackpad, with a a new single USB-C port for most connections. It will be available in three colors, matching the current iPhone line.

The machine is powered on a new Intel Core M chip, with a speed of 1.3GHz with turboboost up to 2.9GHz when needed. The smaller motherboard allowed Apple to stuff the body with contoured, terraced batteries that allow for up to nine hours typical battery life. The entire unibody construction, including the hinge, is all-metal -- the first time the line has been constructed entirely of metal, eschewing the usual practice of providing a ceramic or plastic hinge for the benefit of the antennas.

MacBook with USB-C connector and new colors
MacBook with USB-C connector and new colors

Apple SVP of marketing, Phil Schiller, proclaimed the new machine not just the lightest and thinnest Macs Apple has ever built; he said that it was the most power-efficient full notebook computer, period. Initial specs would seem to bear this out, with the revamped motherboard using just five watts of power. The unit has a height (at thickest point) of just 13.1mm -- some 24 percent thinner than the now-bulky 17.3mm build of the MacBook Air. The 12-inch Retina display has a resolution of 2304x1440 (16:10 ratio), and uses a panel 0.88mm thin.

By repositioning the way the RGB sub-pixels are connected to the array, the display is now 30 percent more power-efficient while maintaining the same brightness. The edge-to-edge full-size keyboard, also now 34 percent thinner than previously, has seen a technical revamp, replacing plastic "scissor" mechanisms that bend unevenly with a "butterfly" metal assembly and individual LEDs that are four times more stable and offer more precise backlighting. New stainless steel dome switches located beneath each key deliver a crisp and responsive feel when typing, according to the company.

The trackpad has also been reworked for the new MacBook. Normally relying on a hinge mechanism to create the "click" function, the new trackpad replaces the hinge with a magnetic undercarriage that features four force sensors, allowing for both the measuring of the force of the click as well as spreading the "clickability" evenly across the entire surface. It also uses the same "taptic" feedback found in the Apple Watch, and the resistance and force-click gestures can be controlled in software. The unit also brings pressure sensitivity, which should prove a boon to those using the trackpad to draw.

New keyboard and trackpad
New keyboard and trackpad

The processor is a dual-core Intel Core M variant rated at 1.1GHz or 1.2GHz depending on model (but will ramp up to 2.4GHz or 2.6GHz when needed), using just five watts of power. The shrunken motherboard (just one-third the size of the one used in the MacBook Air) allowed for the remainder of the casing to be filled completely with customized, terraced batteries. This allows the smaller unit to match its larger siblings in battery life. The graphics are handled by the Intel HD 5300 graphics chipset, and the processor can be upgraded to a 1.3GHz with turboboost up to 2.9Ghz.

The USB-C connector handles power charging, but also video output and data transfer. There is still a separate audio-out headphone port, but no other connectors -- meaning the unit cannot be simultaneously charged and run a second display without the aid of an $80 special adapter or hub. The USB-C connector allows for significantly faster USB speeds (up to a theoretical 5Gbps) and greater charging, along with DisplayPort 1.2 options up to an including possible 5K video output -- but at present there is a dearth of accessories for the connector apart from those offered by Apple.

USB-C connector on left side; audio jack on right
USB-C connector on left side; audio jack on right

The units will come with 8GB of RAM standard, and start at $1,299 with 256GB, or $1,599 for 512GB of storage. The model, available in three colors, will be available April 10 in various countries, with Apple CEO Tim Cook promising that the unit will be rolled out to as many countries as possible as quickly as possible.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 9, 2015 at 04:48 PM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2015, 02:18 PM

What I want to know is when Apple's going to give us a new keyboard, trackpad and all, that's like the one on this new MacBook. It sounds marvelous.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 9, 2015, 02:48 PM

I'm surprised that the 15-inch MBP didn't get it. We'll see what Apple has planned for the 15 at WWDC, I guess.

daqman
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2015, 04:34 PM

This is probably OK for quite a few people but switching to only one hardwired connection is a very limiting choice. Just a week ago I was setting up a wireless router, the first step, connect a laptop using an ethernet cable. I have a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter so that was OK with my current laptop but impossible with this. Thinking about it you need an adapter to attach something as basic as a thumb drive. Even then you can't charge the MacBook while a USB peripheral is plugged in.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2015, 04:34 PM

Although Apple didn't specifically mention the keyboard, they did say that the updated 13-inch MBP would be getting the trackpad, and I'd guess the keyboard will be included in that. I'm surprised the MBA isn't getting either, but this could be the last MBA since its raison d'etre has pretty much vanished with this release.

The lack of improvements to the 15-inch MBP suggests to me that Apple is planning something bigger for that model, likely incorporating the new keyboard and trackpad, but who knows what beyond that.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2015, 04:47 PM

No, it's just that the Broadwell quad chips needed for the 15" models won't be released until later this year.

There was nothing to update other than the Force Touch Trackpad.

Also: "surprised"?

9to5mac reported on this (with photos!) back on January 6th!
( Last edited by Charles Martin; Mar 9, 2015 at 05:48 PM. )

Flying Meat
Senior User
Mar 9, 2015, 04:50 PM

I expect a docking solution or 3 will become available within months, much like the thunderbolt cable solutions, but powered.
As a docking option this makes a lot of sense. Just one cable to plug in, as opposed to the 5 cables I typically plug in to my MacBook Pro. Could be nice.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2015, 04:54 PM

Call me crazy, but this is the laptop I've been wanting for quite some time now. Can't wait to try one out.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Flying Meat View Post
I expect a docking solution or 3 will become available within months, much like the thunderbolt cable solutions, but powered.
As a docking option this makes a lot of sense. Just one cable to plug in, as opposed to the 5 cables I typically plug in to my MacBook Pro. Could be nice.
I have an external Thunderbolt Dock for my MacBook Pro. Two cables — power and Thunderbolt.

Applesoft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2015, 05:09 PM

Is it just me, or has Apple's OBSESSION with minimalism gone too far? Why would anyone want this?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2015, 05:46 PM

Spheric: Apple surprised us by bringing back the MacBook, not by making a 12-inch model (we've reported on that ourselves, incidentally). Here's the most recent of at least three stories we've covered on the (at the time) rumored 12-inch MacBook: http://www.electronista.com/articles...eged.new.port/

And here's a story where we correctly predicted both the screen size and the single USB-C port -- four months earlier than the story you cite:
http://www.electronista.com/articles...arging.method/

It was also surprising to the mainstream public, who are not hard-core Apple nerds like some of us round here -- we also write to a general audience, not just the devoted. Sorry if you didn't understand the meaning.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2015, 05:53 PM

Okay. Naming it the "MacBook" was surprising.

This thing will obviously trickle down-market into the entry-level slot eventually, displacing the Air.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2015, 05:54 PM

Applesoft: it's probably just you. Have you really noticed how most people use notebooks these days? Hint: Facebook is the top application.

As specc'd, the new MacBook will meet more than the average person's needs -- it scales up to 2.9GHz on demand -- offers a video chipset that can drive a 4K monitor and most games, lasts all day -- and weighs two pounds. This thing will sell like hotcakes (and probably spells the death knell for the iPad Air).

Personally I think this new line further distinguishes the Pro from the consumer lines, which is exactly what was needed.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Ham Sandwich
Mar 9, 2015, 06:49 PM

Serious concerns with buying new Macbook

I may be in the market to buy a new Macbook, but based on my last 10 years of mostly bad experiences with laptops (logic board failures, extremely stubborn/disobedient keyboards, screen marks, hard drive replacements, battery may need service, etc.), I want answers to the following:

1. How do I know that the keys won't leave marks on the screen with the lid closed? Have they finally fixed this issue yet? Because every laptop that I have had has done this to me and has damaged the screen as a result.

2. Has Apple fixed the "oily fingers" problem with the keys and trackpad, or will I have to get new keyboard and trackpad covers again to keep the keys from turning into ugly finger oil prints?

3. What if I get a long, hairline scratch in the display? I had that happen after one year of using a Pro Macbook and I never once abused the screen or remember doing anything to scratch it. How do I know that won't happen with this newer laptop?

4. How does the reflectivity of the screen compare to that of the previous Macbook Air? I hate looking at myself (I get embarrassed) so that is one reason why I am socially uncomfortable with using a reflective screen Macbook... but how does this new Macbook's screen compare to these?

5. The last several laptops had so many issues (multiple hard drive and logic board replacements, scrolling would hang, backlight leaked through the bottom of the screen). How do I know that, even with gentle use, this new laptop won't be so problematic?? I SHOULD NOT have to pay Apple $thousands (including AppleCare) on a new laptop to find that it wasn't made properly.

6. How do I prevent this Macbook from overheating while doing an intensive process (e.g. video editing) if it doesn't have a fan?

7. Why did they go with a 12" model when I need more space not less, and why did they not go edge-to-edge with the screen?

Originally Posted by daqman View Post
Even then you can't charge the MacBook while a USB peripheral is plugged in.
8. Is this still true? Oh I need to connect my printer, or one of several external hard drives, there goes my power plug... sucks to be me I guess I have to waste another charge cycle just to print a document. Is this really true? Why didn't Apple implement a docking station that allows you to plug in USB, Mini-display, etc. and power, all to the same cable?

Until I get answers to my questions, I cannot confide in this new Macbook as anything other than "yet another nightmare waiting to happen." So, has this Macbook solved all of the old Macbook's problems??
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Mar 9, 2015 at 07:29 PM. )

mac_in_tosh
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2015, 07:05 PM

Applesoft: Is it just me, or has Apple's OBSESSION with minimalism gone too far?...It's not just you. The "lighter and thinner" obsession continues.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2015, 08:10 PM

I'll refrain from judgement until I get my hands on one in person. I like a lot of what I see (keyboard, trackpad, 12" retina display, etc.) but am a bit worried about other things. I'm also happy that they've added another line for now, rather than eliminating the MBA (I work extensively in the education environment; Boards and Administrators tend to flip-out big-time at any single item over $999. The MBA still fits the bill, but I bet the schools I work with won't buy the new MacBook). Surprises for me are the gold color, which I've thought was relatively unpopular in the iPhone line because even though it's a relatively toned-down color, it's still kind of gaudy when compared to other options. Also surprised by the lack of a magnetic charging connector of some kind. That's saved countless laptops from an early death (the education environment has a lot of little hands and feet to get tangled in cords). Then again, with the increased battery life, maybe this will no longer be an issue since the devices can be charged at night when they are not at risk.

Sanjiv Sathiah
Mar 9, 2015, 08:29 PM

The new MacBook is classic Apple. This is not the type of device that people are going to be doing serious computer processing on, nor is it the type of notebook that will be someone's primary computer (at least not for the next few years). Ultimately, all notebooks will be like this. Apple has just brought the clock forward as it often has in the past. We are increasingly moving towards a wireless world and the new MacBook is purpose made for this reality. It will work for many customers, especially those who have opted for the 11-inch MacBook Air in the past, not for its price point, but for its portability. For now, Apple is leaving the original MacBook Airs in its line up, but their days are numbered. In a couple of years, there will just be the new MacBook and the MacBook Pros (although a larger 15-inch version of the new 12-inch MacBook could potentially find its way into Apple's line up).
Electronista Staff

Kees
Mar 10, 2015, 06:25 AM

So, if I'm in the middle of a presentation and my battery goes dead, I have to unplug the beamer to be able charge it?
New keyboard looks great, but one port is ridiculous.
Time to set up a dual or triple port extension cable business, me thinks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2015, 07:42 AM

Apple will sell you one for $80.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 10, 2015, 07:52 AM

As the USB-C connector ecosystem grows, there'll be more options. Don't forget, this isn't Apple's standard, any more than the original USB was. In about six months, we'll be drowning in hubs and adapters.

Just not right now.

MitchIves
Mar 10, 2015, 09:13 AM

Their $80 adapter seems to cover it... hook up a Display, change ... and a USB port all at once...

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 10, 2015, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Serious concerns with buying new Macbook

I may be in the market to buy a new Macbook, but based on my last 10 years of mostly bad experiences with laptops (logic board failures, extremely stubborn/disobedient keyboards, screen marks, hard drive replacements, battery may need service, etc.), I want answers to the following:

1-3
You don't.

4. How does the reflectivity of the screen compare to that of the previous Macbook Air? I hate looking at myself (I get embarrassed) so that is one reason why I am socially uncomfortable with using a reflective screen Macbook... but how does this new Macbook's screen compare to these?
The reflectiveness varies on the lighting condition. Really, though, until we can get our hands on one, we won't know either.

5. The last several laptops had so many issues (multiple hard drive and logic board replacements, scrolling would hang, backlight leaked through the bottom of the screen). How do I know that, even with gentle use, this new laptop won't be so problematic?? I SHOULD NOT have to pay Apple $thousands (including AppleCare) on a new laptop to find that it wasn't made properly.
You don't.

6. How do I prevent this Macbook from overheating while doing an intensive process (e.g. video editing) if it doesn't have a fan?
This machine isn't for you, if you're doing video editing that takes serious crunching.

7. Why did they go with a 12" model when I need more space not less, and why did they not go edge-to-edge with the screen?
No idea.

8. Is this still true? Oh I need to connect my printer, or one of several external hard drives, there goes my power plug... sucks to be me I guess I have to waste another charge cycle just to print a document. Is this really true? Why didn't Apple implement a docking station that allows you to plug in USB, Mini-display, etc. and power, all to the same cable?
They did, it'll just cost you $80. Like I said in another post, this isn't an Apple-specific cable like Lightning. This is a standard, and this kind of thing will be more readily available soonish.

Even a powered USB-C hub will power and carry data for displays and whatnot.

Until I get answers to my questions, I cannot confide in this new Macbook as anything other than "yet another nightmare waiting to happen." So, has this Macbook solved all of the old Macbook's problems??
Won't know until its in the field for a while. Like I said in the analysis post we did after the announcement, this is yet again, not a machine for "us." If you didn't like the design compromises in the low-end Mac Mini, this isn't going to appeal to you either.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 10, 2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
Originally Posted by And.reg View Post

1-3
You don't.
Mike Wuerthele, I am confused by the "You don't"s in your response. When I ask about whether or not Apple has finally fixed the keyprint-on-the-screen issue and you tell me "you don't," what does that mean? Does that mean that I don't have oily fingerprints on my keyboard, or are you denying that such ever actually happens? I am confused.

Same confusion to your response to my concern about scratches on the new screen: when you say "you don't," are you saying that I don't cause scratches on my own screen, or are you denying that they will happen on the new screen?

The reflectiveness varies on the lighting condition. Really, though, until we can get our hands on one, we won't know either.
I look forward to this.

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele, in response to my Question 5 View Post
You don't.
I don't what? I don't have weird problems with the new Macbook? I don't pay for AppleCare? Can you clarify the "you don't" here again?

This machine isn't for you, if you're doing video editing that takes serious crunching.

I was asking if the Macbook would ever overheat with the CPU staying hot because it doesn't have a fan. I wasn't asking if the computer was meant for serious crunching, but whether or not the hardware would survive without a fan for when someone does need to run a CPU-intensive process.

They did, it'll just cost you $80.
Where is this in the Apple Store? I checked multiple times following Apple's links to USB-C accessories and I didn't see any hub.

Applesoft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2015, 03:29 PM

It's hard to see how a reasonable consumer, who does their homework, could be satisfied with something that is so limited, probably non-upgradeable in any way, and impossible to repair. An expensive, disposable toy for people with nothing better to do with their money, who will toss this and run out and buy the next "big" thing from Apple in 2 years. Apple has truly lost it's way. The Apple portable line up now looks like the desktop line up in 1994, too many models and a confusing array of products. As a long time Mac owner (since 1993), I feel like the "function follows form philosophy" that Apple has embraced is a tremendous disservice to the consumer. Time to move on.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 10, 2015, 03:35 PM

Ah.

The "you don't" is "you don't know that this is fixed, and there's no way to tell" not that you didn't have any problems.

Frankly, we don't know either. I've missed the vast majority of problematic machines, despite having several, throughout the years. No video issue, no bad capacitors on my eMac, et cetera.

About the fan: yeah, the TDP on the Core M is very, very low. They're designed to be at peak power for a long time and not even approach thermal limits. I'm pretty confident that heat won't be an issue.

Re:hub, this is all you've got at the moment. USB 3.0 type A, HDMI out, USB-C for power in.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ...tiport-adapter

Flying Meat
Senior User
Mar 10, 2015, 03:55 PM

My. So literal.
Last item: Not a "hub" per se, but an adapter with multiple ports/functions.
So, you hook up the various ports/functions the way you want, and leave it that way. Then when you get to your desk, you just plug one thing in. Time will tell, and mileage may vary...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2015, 06:11 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2015, 06:12 PM

Ham Sandwich
Mar 10, 2015, 06:40 PM

In that case I'm content with the idea of an adapter that allows both charging and multi functionality. I was just surprised that it looked so small and neither had that many ports. Oh well, I'll wait for other adapters.

The "you don't" is "you don't know that this is fixed, and there's no way to tell" not that you didn't have any problems.
Well that's unfortunate. In that case I plan to invest in the used/refurbished market.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2015, 12:59 AM

There's a couple of them at the Apple Store. Here's one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1L2AM/A/usb-c-vga-multiport-adapter

Connect your existing (or purchase a new) USB hub and you're good-to-go, all while driving an external VGA monitor and charging the MacBook at the same time.

Here's a more simple one, if you just need a single USB port (or, again, connected to a hub):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

Kees
Mar 11, 2015, 12:24 PM

Looks like this will solve my beamer problem: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1L2AM/A/usb-c-vga-multiport-adapter.
Ideally, I'd need to also get this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter.
That's another $160,-.
Still not too thrilled with the one port thing..

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2015, 12:49 PM

Those may or may not have been linked to several times above.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 11, 2015, 02:43 PM

Imagine a wireless charging dock that sits underneath the laptop, has all the ports, and serves as a laptop stand.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2015, 06:34 PM

Hello And.reg, I'll see if I can clarify Mike's responses. His first "you don't" was his answer to your first three "what if" questions. How do you know you won't have problems? You don't.

Likewise, his answer to question 5 was, again, a response to your "what if" scenario. You don't know (and indeed, nobody knows) if you'll have "X" problem with this machine or not.

In response to your question about overheating (question 6), what was meant is that users will inherently understand (through practical experience if not common sense) that the MacBook is not to be confused with a MacBook Pro. The processor will not "stay hot" -- it disperses heat through the metal chassis directly. It's just a different way of doing what the fan does.

Should someone push the machine enough that it "overheats," then it will do what all Macs do in that situation: shut down to save the processor.

As for your last question about the USB-C Apple "hub," you may have not found it because its not a hub; it's an adapter. Here's the link, directly from the article that you're commenting on:
USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

Please note that this is just one of a series of adapters Apple is offering, but this one is the most multi-purpose.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules