Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Golive Rollover problem - Help!

Golive Rollover problem - Help!
Fink-Nottle
Sep 6, 2002, 08:47 PM

I've been upgrading my site and suddenly the rollovers have stopped working. I have no idea why and I can't seem to fix it. I've tried recreating them, using lean vs smart rollovers etc all to no avail. I've also checked out the Adobe site and even (horrors) tried to bend my mind round Javascript. I can't see why the old site works and the new one doesn't. I'm stumped.

The old site (where the rollovers work) is here:
http://www.digitaljive.com/

The new site (where they don't work) I've placed here:
http://www.digitaljive.com/Testsite/

I'm using Golive 6.0.1 on OS X. Any help, ideas, sympathy very gratefully accepted.
Fink Different eh!
http://www.digitaljive.com

pumpkinapo
Sep 6, 2002, 11:17 PM

I pulled down the page to take a look at it and it didn't work for me either. But, I did get it to work after doing one thing.

Open up the page and select one of the rollover images. Then in the inspector select the rollover tab. Then uncheck the over checkbox and then recheck the over checkbox.

After doing this the rollovers worked for me. Good luck.
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

Fink-Nottle  (op)
Sep 7, 2002, 09:58 AM

Hi Pumpkinapo,

I really appreciate your suggestion. Unfortunately I tried exactly what you suggested and it didn't work. I'm wondering if there's some preference or something in GoLive that I've misconfigured. I'm running Golive 6.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.2.

Thanks again!
Fink Different eh!

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 10:51 AM

I've had the same problem. Do you use ImageReady and Photoshop, or just creat the code on your own?

Fink-Nottle  (op)
Sep 7, 2002, 11:42 AM

I do all the HTML work in GoLive. The graphics come in from Stone Create and from Photoshop 5 running in Classic. Not a high end setup but Golive has the graphics optimization for the web built in so I haven' t felt the need to upgrade. And Create is a joy to use for this stuff.

The Adobe Golive support forums (fora?) have quite alot of people having trouble with rollovers but non of the suggestions helped.

One thing that MAY be a factor is the section that contains the rollover is in a component which is accessed by the web pages. Yesterday the rollovers failed when I viewed either the component or the webpage in the browser. After recreating the rollovers I was able to get them to work in the component but not in the pages. This makes me think perhaps it is something in the 'Head' section.

Incidentally, when in preview mode in Golive it all works perfectly everywhere which I find frustrating as it seems that Golive understands what I want to do but it won't produce it.

Thanks all!
Fink Different eh!

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 02:08 PM

Thats the exact problem I was having. In preview mode, it worked, but when I uploaded and everything, it wouldnt work...on my computer, my girlfriends, none of them. I downloaded the Dreamweaver trial and am thinking of ordering that. It seems to work with Dreamweaver!

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2002, 06:13 PM

Hey Fink,

I was having the same problem when first upgrading, and unfortunately found the best solution to be recoding many of the pages. Eee... all that time wasted! By trashing the javascript file in your site folder, then recoding the problem areas from scratch, I was able to temporarily get them to work in my sites.

My battles with GoLive 6 extended from reprogramming the rollovers and constant crashing in OSX, to its slow site mapping times (all of which are not that uncommon according to users on Adobe's support forum). As for the stability of my system, which is something you might be wondering about right now (heh heh), GoLive was, and continues to be the only program on my system that will crash.

Needless to say, I bit the bullet and switched to Dreamweaver MX after years of working with versions (4 & 5) of GoLive. Dreamweaver has performed flawlessly for me, and I would highly recommend it if you continue having problems.

- Slim

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 06:38 PM

This probably doesn't help you very much, but I used GoLive for a while and noticed that it generated very bloated Javascripts compared to Dreamweaver. That could be part of your problem. I switched to Dreamweaver/Fireworks last year, and am much happier. It's also easier to edit the Javascript by hand with Dreamweaver.

Fink-Nottle  (op)
Sep 7, 2002, 08:05 PM

Well on the plus side it's good to know I didn't make a dumb ass mistake. Misery loves company.

On the minus side I find this really disappointing. I did compare Dreamweaver and Golive before opting for Golive. I found the interface was nicer and I was able to get it cheaper as an upgrade from Pagemill. I can certainly handcode the Javascript but the whole point of getting Golive or Dreamweaver is to avoid the grunt work. And rollovers are pretty basic stuff... it's not like I'm pushing the programme to its limits.

Sigh... : - (

Thanks all!
Fink Different eh!

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 11:27 AM

using golive daily, i can say that ive seen a few weird things...but nothing like this.

a couple questions...

1. are you using a site file?
2. what version are you using?
3. if you are using 6, did you get the recent patch to 6.0.1?
4. did you upon a 5.0 version of the site in 6.0?

answers to some of there will help diagnose the problem

thanks
bg

Fink-Nottle  (op)
Sep 8, 2002, 11:44 AM

Hello bgmccollum,

Thanks for helping!

1. are you using a site file?
Yes

2. what version are you using?
3. if you are using 6, did you get the recent patch to 6.0.1?
I am using 6.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.2

4. did you upon a 5.0 version of the site in 6.0?
The site was created in version 6... I've never used version 5.

I did post this problem to the Adobe Golive Mac forum yesterday with the heading 'Golive Rollover problem - Help!'. I had another look there too and I did find some people who claimed that using Javascript inside of components was problematic. This would be a real pain as I think components are very useful for headers and menus that contain links and therefore, benefit from rollovers etc.

Regards!
Fink Different eh!

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 11:49 AM

ah, i missed the JS in components part. i have a better idea than components. how about trying to use templates. components were basically a holdover until dreamweaver like templates were implemented. and with 6.0, they are. check em out and let me know if that can solve your problem...

bg

Fink-Nottle  (op)
Sep 9, 2002, 05:53 PM

Hi bg et al,

Well the problem is solved, although I'm not 100% certain what fixed it. I took bg's advice and converted the site so it was template based. This was a good suggestion anyway as my site pages are quite uniform and well suited to using a template. However, that did not solve the problem. I then converted the rollovers in the template to smart rollovers. That did not help. I then told the template to 'Write Code into Page'. This finally made it work.

I then exported the site and uploaded it... but the rollovers stopped working. I then tried uploading the site from withing GoLive rather than using an FTP client... and it all worked.

As I said though, I am not sure what the actual solution was. I'm also not sure why I have to upload the Javascript library after telling GoLive to 'Write Code into Page'. And although I'm sure my newness to the programme didn't help, I do think that there are some bugs in it. Chiefly, it's very annoying when the rollovers work in 'preview mode' but don't work when you view the site in a browser.

No griping though... I'm glad it works and I thank everyone for their suggestions and help. This is a great online community!

Cheers!
Fink Different eh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules