Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Hands On: Pixelmator 3.5 (OS X)

Hands On: Pixelmator 3.5 (OS X)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 1, 2016, 10:00 AM

We'll own up to a mistake about this app if you do, too. Our one is that we missed it. We've quite often enthused about the iOS versions and we use those most days, but somehow we just assumed someone else would have already examined the OS X version. It's famous. It's Photoshop for people who don't want to spend Photoshop money, or cope with Photoshop complexity. Now that Pixelmator 3.5 is out, let us put this oversight to rights.

Your mistake is calling it Photoshop. Okay, that's our mistake too, but it's everybody's: it is impossible to see Pixelmator -- and especially to see its price -- and not think that this is a cheap alternative to Photoshop. Yet this really is a mistake, because Pixelmator is not some knock-off, bargain-basement copy, it is a richly full-featured and Apple-centric photo manipulation app. It has similar features to Photoshop because it is for editing photos, and you need to do the same things to your images whatever your tools are. It has similar controls to Photoshop because, well, okay, it could be more different in its toolbox.

It has a different feel, like a different ethos, though, and just generally working in images within it, you have an impression that it's lighter, more nimble. It's sometimes quicker to use, though Photoshop is more powerful, and that includes being faster at complex work.

Pixelmator presumably can't touch Photoshop for power tools and features, but we'd have to be a lot better at image work than we are to be sure what the differences are. We just started out trying Pixelmator for OS X by using it for the work we would regularly do in Photoshop on OS X or, as it happens Pixelmator on iOS. There were plenty of differences, but for our typical work we couldn't call it for speed or functionality. Much as we like Photoshop, we could call it in Pixelmator's favor for how simple it was to achieve basic effects.

This OS X version of Pixelmator is better than the iOS edition, and we've already turned to that as our default choice on the iPad. Very nicely, the first time we opened up Pixelmator on our Macs, it had all our iPad images ready to open: Pixelmator uses iCloud Drive.

We did play with more complex functions than we usually use, and we did especially play with the stand-out new features on version 3.5. The most impressive of these is the way that it now integrates with Apple's Photos app: select an image in Photos, and you can share it to Pixelmator to retouch.

The most useful new features, as in the ones that you will simply adopt the most often, are both to do with how you select items on an image. A smart Quick Selection Tool, like Photoshop's Magic Wand, lets you drag over an image, and it will automatically select the bits you want. That's what it feels like, anyway: it really grabs anything that is similar in color to the first place you click in.

When you can select things perfectly, you can edit just those -- and when you can't, any edit you make is off by a few pixels, which are so obvious that they might as well be six-foot banners with neon lights. So any improvement in how quickly you can select one area and not another is great. We found this as tricky to get right as we do in Photoshop, but there is one more thing: an Magnetic Selection Tool. As you trace along, it snaps to the edges of an object you're trying to select.

There are also many bug fixes and small improvements, but nothing we noticed because, like eejits, we've not been using the OS X version before. Eejits. We're serious about Pixelmator being its own app instead of Photoshop Lite, but still, let this be a summary of the review: we're carrying on with Pixelmator 3.5 for OS X over Photoshop for the day-to-day image editing tasks we need.

Pixelmator 3.5 requires OS X 10.9.5 or higher, and costs $30 on the Mac App Store. There is also an iPhone/iPad version that we've raved about before. This Pixelmator 2.2.1 requires iOS 9.0 or higher, and costs $5 on the App Store.

Who is Pixelmator 3.5 for:
If you need more than you can do in Photos, but less than you need Photoshop for, go get it.

Who is Pixelmator 3.5 not for:
If you never resize images, import them, change elements, or remove your ex-partners from otherwise perfect shots of the beach, this is no use to you.

-- William Gallagher (@WGallagher)

Readers: do you have an app that you'd like to see us review? Developers: do you want us to take a look at your app? Send your suggestions to our Tips email.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM. )

prl99
Senior User
Jun 1, 2016, 10:27 AM

I've been using Pixelmator for a long time. Since retiring, I haven't had access to the Adobe suite and there's no way I'm paying that much money for something that I don't need. Pixelmator uses Apple's Core Image technology, which greatly enhances the speed and compatibility with other Apple Core Image applications. Pixelmator also uses Apple's standard Print function instead of having their own like Adobe. I also bought Acorn because it does some things a little different and in some case better than Pixelmator.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jun 1, 2016, 01:07 PM

Pixelmator has been my primary image editing app for some time now. I keep getting tempted by the Adobe suite (which I also used to use), but so far, Pixelmator has done all I've needed. If there was one thing tempting me over to Photoshop, I suppose it would be Smart Objects, as I sometimes see cool templates (like the business card on some desk or cool environment) I could quickly use if it were 100% Photoshop compatible. And, of course, if I were working with someone else, exchanging Photoshop files, that would be another potential reason (the main one keeping most collaborative professionals on any particular piece of software).

That said, the debate in my mind rages on. Should I just pick - the best for me - of each individual app? Or, just go with Creative Cloud? Lately, I've been looking to get Affinity Designer, which might make me look at Affinity Photo as well (I don't do much physical print work, but when I do, working purely in CMYK would be nice... something not as well implemented on Pixelmator).

Then there are all the other apps of Creative Cloud. I use Audacity for podcast and audio editing... but then I'd have Audition. Or, should I save up for Logic? And, then there is video editing... I use Camtasia mostly, because thats the work I most often do anyway... but there'd be Premier or Final Cut Pro?

And, the list goes on. Because I'd use so many of the Creative Cloud apps anyway... am I better just giving in? Or, since I usually don't need file-comparability that badly, just keep buying the individual app I think suits me best.

While I initially didn't like the subscription model, I now find that it makes the decision harder, as saving up the cash to jump into all these pro apps is a bit more intimidating than just paying Adobe a chunk of cash - but a doable and reasonable one - each month. Years ago, when it was a several-thousand-dollar hit to even get in the game, the choice was much easier.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2016, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the nice review of this product. It deserves recognition. I discovered it a couple years ago and haven't looked back. It's a great, relatively easy to use, powerful image-editor. I find little to fault and much to praise.

DahlBryn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2016, 06:27 PM

Not sure why reviewers always miss the powerful and useful vector functions built into Pixelmator known as 'Vectormator'. They are reasonably advanced for the average user and provide additional functionality in a more intuitive way, especially with 'Blending' and 'Knockouts'. CMYK tools are not as advanced or Preflight-able as Adobe Photoshop, but are powerful enough to be used in pre-production situations and output testing. Quite impressive for a 64-Bit $30 app.
Life's all about pushin' forward...

Forum Links
Forum Rules