Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Civ: Beyond Earth

Civ: Beyond Earth
P
Oct 27, 2014, 06:25 AM

Anyone else playing?

So far it has been interesting in that they're trying a few new things, but balance is way off.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2014, 08:12 AM

Way off in what regard ?

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 09:34 AM

This is pathetic, but I lost interest in it when I realized it was decently different than Civ.

P  (op)
Oct 27, 2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Way off in what regard ?

-t
* Trade routes in particular are overpowered. If you run an internal trade route, you get back the production it took to produce it in just a few turns.
* Giving away free techs is much more powerful in the tech web setup, because if you manage to scrape together a single tier two tech, you can get an insanely expensive tier three tech for free. This means that those bonuses (from quests, virtue bonuses or the faction specific advantages) are way too powerful.
* Consequences for running a sharply negative health are too minor. In Civ V, you get weaker armies and constant rebellions - here you get more intrigue, slower growth and a 10% malus on science and production. At one point, I kept getting negative health because I was conquering someone (which btw also doesn't make sense), and I just powered through and took all of it, ending up at -53, before I started working my way back.

In general, it fells like it's too little. This is a minor game, somewhere just beyond an expansion pack, like Civ IV Colonization, and not a worthy sequel to Alpha Centauri. They're blinking to SMAC fans all the time, but it's a trivial game compared to that. The balance issues above will likely be ironed out soon enough (for some reason Firaxis has stopped the wide betas that made Civ IV so perfectly balanced at launch, but they patch after launch), but I wonder if we will ever see any real depth added to the game. Civ V got pretty decent after the last expansion, but will this game expansions? Doubtful.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2014, 10:12 PM

I guess I'm going to wait till they balance things out, and till the Mac version is out and cheap.

I'm still chewing through Civ V expansions. Fall of Rome is no joke playing Western Rome.

-t

P  (op)
Oct 29, 2014, 11:46 AM

Expansions? ITYM scenarios. Civ V had two expansions, Gods & Kings and Brave New World, and about a million little pieces of DLC that are a map or two and an extra civilization.

Playing the game while still not perfectly balanced can be quite fun. It's not like it's buggy, it's just that some things are inherently better than others. You don't have to make use of all the exploits

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2014, 12:04 PM

Fall of Rome is one of the scenarios in one of the expansions. Forgot in which one.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Fall of Rome is one of the scenarios in one of the expansions. Forgot in which one.

-t
For some reason I can't get myself to play the scenarios. I think part of it they are hard.

I started the invasion of Britain but never finished it. I did manage to win the civil war as the confederacy, but I didn't enjoy the game.

P  (op)
Oct 29, 2014, 01:33 PM

I usually ignore them. The only one I spent any time with was the medieval one in Civ III, but that was because I didn't like the regular game. It might be that they're better in Civ V, though - OUPT and the higher granularity might result in a better game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 01:39 PM

I think part of the problem is I like starting games and this just throws you into the middle of chaos. I mean that is what a scenario is, but I can't say mid-to-late game is my favorite part of the game.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2014, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I usually ignore them. The only one I spent any time with was the medieval one in Civ III, but that was because I didn't like the regular game. It might be that they're better in Civ V, though - OUPT and the higher granularity might result in a better game.
Generally, I like scenarios a lot. They give you a clear goal, and often don't last as long as a full-blown game.
They do, however, require to tweak your strategy to get it exactly right.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules