Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What keys do you use to activate expose

What keys do you use to activate expose
rocheb
Oct 30, 2003, 01:46 AM

This is a random question, but I have a new powerbook with a backlit keyboard. In order to activate Expose I have to hit the function key and then F9. This takes two hands and is kind of annoying...

I was wondering if any of you use alternative keys..

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 03:55 AM

F11 - All windows
F12 - Desktop
<This space under renovation>

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 04:00 AM

I have been using the corners. Very convenient. You can always set it up to just use the fn key.

I have my keys set up as F11 - Show All Apps Command F11 - Show App Windows F12 - Show Desktop

-b

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 04:02 AM

Well, I usually have an external keyboard attached to my 'Book, but I have Expos� set to F1 (all windows), F2 (applications), and F3 (desktop). All three of those you can hit with one hand on a PowerBook, though it may be a little tricky depending on how big your hands are.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 04:09 AM

Any particular reason that F14 or F15 are not in the list for keys? I think it'd be way more useful to assign the three functions to F13 14 and 15, seeing as they are separate on the keyboard...but it only lists up to F13.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 04:12 AM

A chord combo on my Kensington trackball, and F1,F2,F3 for my keyboard hand.

J

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 04:51 AM

The app-switch button on my Logitech MX300 mouse.

But you have to trick Expos� to be able to do this

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 06:31 AM

Bottom left corner - All Windows

Bottom right corner - Desktop

lenox
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 11:53 AM

This is how I have it set up on my Logitech Dual Optical:

Mouse wheel = all windows
Thumb button = show desktop

mattyd
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 11:56 AM

top right corner = all windows

bottom right corner = desktop

bottom left corner = app windows

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 12:01 PM

I have F11, F12 & F13, but would prefer F14, F15 & F16 to be available as they ae separate on the new keyboard.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 12:13 PM

I was worried about having to use fn + F9,10,11 on my iBook but luckily it works without pressing fn at all.

I take it the PBooks have some other funciton assigned to F9,10,11? If so, I'm sure there's a shareware something to reverse the behaviour of funciton keys, so that the volume and brightness commands require you to press fn.

biscuit

Cincinnatus
Oct 30, 2003, 12:23 PM

Ditto on the chord combo for my Kensington Orbit: MouseButton 4 for all windows, Shift + MouseButton 4 for app windows.

/Cincinnatus

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 12:24 PM

On my iBook, bottom-left is all windows, botton-right is desktop.

When I get Panther on my G3 server (once my G5 gets here), I''ll use an extra mouse button for "app windows". That one seems the least useful to me right now anyway.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 12:26 PM

All windows - F11 & Mouse button 5
Desktop - F12 & Mouse button 4

The mouse buttons correspond to the buttons just above the thumb on a Logitech MX700 mouse.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 11:58 AM

I want expose to show all applications when I press both mouse buttons (left and right) on my two buttoned mouse.I don't see any option in the expose prefs for that only a choise of left or right or a button and a key combination.Has anyone been able to do this ? . What are the mouse buttons 1,2,3,4,5..... etc ?
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
Any particular reason that F14 or F15 are not in the list for keys? I think it'd be way more useful to assign the three functions to F13 14 and 15, seeing as they are separate on the keyboard...but it only lists up to F13.
They are Brighness keys on eMacs and iMac models. (At least)

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 01:56 PM

Here's my setup ....

F9 - All Windows
F10 - Application Windows
F11 - Desktop

Scroll Wheel Click - All Windows
Option + Right Click - Application Windows
Command + Right Click - Desktop

Top Right Corner - Desktop
Bottom Left Corner - Application Windows

I have a lot of options, but I generally use the scroll wheel click to show all windows. It's certainly the fastest since I don't have to move my hand from the mouse. I really wanted to simply use modifier keys and this same button for the other two modes but my MS IntelliMouse driver wouldn't allow that with buttons 3, 4, or 5 ... so I had to implement those options with the modifier key (option and command) and button 2 (right click). However, I typically find myself showing the desktop with the upper right corner since whatever I've trying to get to is usually up in that area anyway. I also find it pretty easy to show application windows by clicking the scroll wheel button to show all windows, and then hitting the tab key to cycle through in application windows mode to get to the ones I want. But this is my least used mode since if I'm working in an app it's a lot faster to just Command + ~ to cycle through the open windows.

OAW

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by drive-thru:
I have F11, F12 & F13, but would prefer F14, F15 & F16 to be available as they ae separate on the new keyboard.
F16?

F14 & F15 are reserved for monitor brightness, but I wish they weren't--those would be my first choice, too, since I use F5 - F12 for Photoshop actions, and really don't want to re-train myself for those.

Right now, I'm using F13, right-control and right-option, though that's not ideal.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 04:02 PM

I've got mouse button 3 to 32.What are these ? All I want is to be able to use both left and right mouse buttons or the scroll button cliick to see all apps ? Help !
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by DevNine:
I've got mouse button 3 to 32.What are these ? All I want is to be able to use both left and right mouse buttons or the scroll button cliick to see all apps ? Help !
Button 1 = left
Button 2 = right
Button 3 = middle
Button 4
...down to...
Button 32 = Maybe Apple's subtle jab at the numbskulls who insist Apple should be making their standard mice with more than one button.

If you want to use the scroll wheel button, you usually need to configure it to act as a middle mouse button using the manufacturer's driver software, eg, the Logitech Control Center in system preferences.

This also works for using the Logitech MX300 or higher's little button underneath the main buttons to invoke Expos� - you configure it to behave as a mouse button, then assign this mouse button to "All Windows" in Expos�. This is a near perfect use of it if you have one of these mice.

Otherwise, configuring a bottom corner of the screen for All Windows works very well and the movement becomes second nature far faster and more natural than reaching for an F-key.

Just can't understand why Apple made Function keys a default - so DOS 1980s...

Worst. Episode. Ever.
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 08:51 PM

Command-Right Click - Desktop
Option-Right Click - All Windows

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 09:33 PM

i like the default keys.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 09:57 PM

F1-F3 - now that uConrtol is functional again in Panther. This way I can keep my right hand on trackpad and using my left hand to activate Exposé.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
"Any particular reason that F14 or F15 are not in the list for keys? I think it'd be way more useful to assign the three functions to F13 14 and 15, seeing as they are separate on the keyboard...but it only lists up to F13."

Well, for PowerBooks, there are ONLY 12 F-keys!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules