Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > 7200 rpm HD in slot-loading iMac?

7200 rpm HD in slot-loading iMac?
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2000, 01:36 PM

I know this has been touched on before, but the info out there is conflicting, so I wanted to start a new topic to address it directly:

I have an iMac DV (grape), and I want to replace my 10GB 5400rpm HD with a 30GB 7200rpm one. Have those of you who have installed a 7200rpm in a fanless slot-loader seen any difference at all with the heat it produces?

I've heard that some DVSEs ship with 7200s already, so I figure it won't be a problem, but I just wanted to check. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by CaseCom (edited 09-04-2000).]

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2000, 02:59 PM

The new slot-loading iMacs actually run cooler than the previous models with fans. I know someone with a DV SE and it runs around 90-100 degrees F, which is very cool. I have a rev. D with a new 7200 rpm drive and the temp has not changed at all. For reviews on such uprgades, check out www.xlr8yourmac.com It is an awesome site with tons of hard drive compatiblity reviews, CPU reviews, etc.

[This message has been edited by TimmyDee51 (edited 09-04-2000).]
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2000, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the response, Timmy. I checked out xlr8yourmac, but most of their stuff seems to be on the tower Power Macs rather than iMacs. And I saw this in Misha's how-to guide on imac2day:

The iMac uses a 5400 RPM hard drive, which is the standard for ATA/33 and ATA/66 drives. Faster 7200 RPM hard drives are available, but we wouldn't recommend using one because of the increased heat and the lack of a cooling fan in the iMac.

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2000, 08:57 PM

OK, I went to the iMac forum archive and found a bunch of posts I somehow hadn't seen before. Despite the warnings about the increased heat, those who have put a 7200 in seem to have had no problems. Thanks!

Spidey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2005, 07:04 PM

Hi CaseCom-

I hope this note finds you. I'm trying to help a friend w/ a iMac DV (G3) 500MHz who would like to upgrade his harddrive to one the new 7200 units that you can get for about $100 that's in the 120-160Gig range. Can you tell me how your installation and subsequent experience have been? Is there anything to this whole excessive heat production bugaboo? Thanks for your assistance! http://forums.macnn.com/newreply.php...eply&p=481441#

Originally Posted by CaseCom
OK, I went to the iMac forum archive and found a bunch of posts I somehow hadn't seen before. Despite the warnings about the increased heat, those who have put a 7200 in seem to have had no problems. Thanks!
Spidey
Apple Powerbook 15" FW (AliBook)
1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD
AP/BT
Mac OS X.3.9

Amacapart
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 09:01 PM

I put a 120 Gig Western Digital in a iMac DV SE and had no trouble at all. Noticeably zippier and when I moved to a desktop, I moved the drive with me.

I'm pretty sure 120 is the Max for these though, I think they suffer the same 128 Gig ceiling the G4's had.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Spidey
Hi CaseCom-

I hope this note finds you. I'm trying to help a friend w/ a iMac DV (G3) 500MHz who would like to upgrade his harddrive to one the new 7200 units that you can get for about $100 that's in the 120-160Gig range. Can you tell me how your installation and subsequent experience have been? Is there anything to this whole excessive heat production bugaboo? Thanks for your assistance! http://forums.macnn.com/newreply.php...eply&p=481441#
Did you notice the date on this thread? I think this is one of the oldest I have ever seen someone bump up.

Spidey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 11:01 PM

Hi Amacapart-

Thanks for the advise. I'll go ahead and drop the new drive into my friend's DV. I really appreciate the help. And yes this string was a little old, but as evidenced by your response still immensely relevant and helpful. Thanks!

-Spidey

Originally Posted by Amacapart
I put a 120 Gig Western Digital in a iMac DV SE and had no trouble at all. Noticeably zippier and when I moved to a desktop, I moved the drive with me.

I'm pretty sure 120 is the Max for these though, I think they suffer the same 128 Gig ceiling the G4's had.
Spidey
Apple Powerbook 15" FW (AliBook)
1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD
AP/BT
Mac OS X.3.9

skier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2005, 05:09 PM

I just bought a 7200 rpm 160G Maxtor drive for my wife's iMac DV 400. I did this before reading that it may have a 128G ceiling. What happens if i put this drive in? will it not work or only be seen as a 128G drive? The drive was a great deal at tigerdirect.com ($49.99 after rebate).

TIA
s.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by skier
What happens if i put this drive in? will it not work or only be seen as a 128G drive?
I believe it's the 2nd part you mentioned.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
I believe it's the 2nd part you mentioned.
Yes, that's it ! It will show as 128 GB.

-t

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Yes, that's it ! It will show as 128 GB.

-t
I thought it was a 137GB ceiling.

Can the drive be partitioned? On one partition have 128GB or 137GB (however that goes) and the other what ever is left over. Would he be able to take advantage of the entire drive by going that route or is the limitations that strict?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 06:24 AM

Nope. Its 128GB. Next ceiling above that is something ludicrous like several exabytes or something. Can't be arsed to look it up or work it out.

skier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 08:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses..

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 8, 2005, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by discotronic
I thought it was a 137GB ceiling.

Can the drive be partitioned? On one partition have 128GB or 137GB (however that goes) and the other what ever is left over. Would he be able to take advantage of the entire drive by going that route or is the limitations that strict?
As with every drive size discrepancy, it depends on whether your orders of magnitude are powers of 10 or powers of 2 (1000 vs 1024).

Partitioning can't help. It's not a filesystem limitation, it's a hardware limitation.

tooki

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2005, 05:29 PM

There is a software fix now I think about it. Its called Speedtools. Wasn't cheap last time I looked though......

IanP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 03:46 PM

I've replaced the drives on three slot-loading iMacs recently with 7200rpm models, all to great effect. Temperature isn't an issue (modern 7200rpm drives run way cooler than the older 5400 drives anyway), but, since the drives are mounted right up against the front of the enclosure, noise can be an issue. The quietest drive I've found is the 120gb Seagate Barracuda - the Maxtors are fine drives, but they're noisy next to the Seagates. Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules