Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Reviews: A complete list...

iPhone Reviews: A complete list...
dawho9
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 07:32 PM

I figure we might as well have one thread dedicated to the iPhone reviews. Feel free to add your when you find them.

The Mossberg Solution - WSJ.com WSJ/Mossberg

Apple's iPhone isn't perfect, but it's worthy of the hype - USATODAY.com USA Today Review

dw9
( Last edited by dawho9; Jun 26, 2007 at 08:01 PM. )
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 07:36 PM

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 08:04 PM

To not post and run. Looks like the reviews I have seen so far have been very positive. Biggest complaints have been:

- AT&T & Edge (like we didn't know that already)
- Lack of some features like IM & GPS (again, we knew that)
- Something in Mossbergs review about listening to music and having to stop the music to go back to the main menu to get to the phone. This one seemed a little strange.

All and all, very positive, including good notes about the keybaord. Cannot wait until Friday.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 08:28 PM

Comments from Engadget:
First Apple iPhone reviews trickle out - Engadget

-The mobile version of OS X or whatever it is the iPhone runs takes up 700MB of the device's capacity. Damn son!
-There's no way to cut, copy, or paste text! WHOA! Big, big mistake.
-Sorry, music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3.
-On a PC the iPhone syncs with Outlook for calendars AND addresses! Noice.
-Pogue again confirms document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only).
-Adobe Flash support is officially out. It's just not in the browser. Sorry everybody, that's that.
-It will take snaps, but won't record video. How can Apple love YouTube as much as it does and not realize cellphone-shot movies make up a sizeable chunk of the crazy crap you find on there?
-Oh, and no MMS. And sorry, no voice dialing, either.
-Apple sez between 300-400 charges the iPhone will lose battery capacity -- you'll send it in and get the cell replaced for a fee. Meh. We knew this would be the case, but still, meh.
-Apple can (and supposedly will) be rolling out periodic updates -- no surprise there.
-Battery life is, somehow, almost as mind-blowingly good as Apple claims for calls, music, and movies.
-As we suspected, users are prompted with lists of WiFi networks if you're not nearby a trusted hotspot. We've seen this on other phones, and we're afraid this would get friggin annoying.
-It's said to be very scratch resistant. The facade both front and rear apparently just doesn't pick up marring like regular iPods do.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2007, 08:45 PM

The only thing that surprises me in these reviews is the inability to copy, cut, or paste text. Hmm. I imagine that this will be one of those features that gets added on later. As I've said before, the original 5GB iPod had relatively primitive software when it launched, and look how simple a device that was compared to the iPhone. It's not surprising that they couldn't do everything, but I am a little surprised that this particular feature got left out.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 08:51 PM

I expect iPhone updates within a few weeks of launch and about once a month security fixes like in OS X on a computer, since Safari is vulnerable just like it's OS X big brother. They always like to throw in fixes with updates too. I expect some major features to be added within the first 3 months.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 09:01 PM

What is a consolation to first gen buyers is the software upgradable part of the deal.

For me, lack of Exchange server compatibility would've been a deal breaker.. The new deal breaker is LEAP wireless support (or lack of), but this isn't confirmed yet...

minor pickyness: I've learned that copy/paste is a lot faster than retyping, built-in ring tones quickly grow lame, and gosh darn dag nab it I want the ability to take impromptu video for the moments that pictures just won't do.

other than that, this looks like a winner in the making!

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 09:10 PM

So I wonder if its possible (I'm assuming it is) to implement copy/paste functionality with an update to the software.

Here's the thing I think will happen. Being that this is the very first iPhone ever, and Apple has a TON riding on it, I think Apple will be listening very closely to its users. I think they will be working extremely hard to put as many features into this version via software updates as possible, based on feedback from users. So, things like copy/paste, MMS/IM, etc. will be added before iPhone 2.0 is released.

I think that the fact that Apple can add features so easily will be one of the things that makes the iPhone so desirable. But of course, that completely relies upon Apple to keep adding the features on a timely basis.

Here's to hoping!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2007, 09:15 PM

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 03:03 AM

That USA Today guy looks like Carl from "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 27, 2007, 08:22 AM

I don't understand why they left out voice dialing. It is very important. It is one of the things I've loved having for the last two years. I use it all of the time when I'm driving.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 08:40 AM

No custom ringtones? Ouch. That hurts. I know it seems rather insignificant but I like the fact that I can assign ringtones to different people, and have a general ringtone of my own.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by CaseCom View Post
That USA Today guy looks like Carl from "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

That is creepy.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
No custom ringtones? Ouch. That hurts. I know it seems rather insignificant but I like the fact that I can assign ringtones to different people, and have a general ringtone of my own.
Yeah, that's awful.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 02:39 PM

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2007, 02:44 PM

But for all you could do with YouTube, I could not play streaming videos at USA TODAY's site or videos on other sites. Safari on iPhone supports Apple's Quicktime video player but not Adobe Flash or Windows Media Video.
Well thank God it at least plays quicktimes off of web sites. I couldn't shake this info outta ANYONE. Now at least I know I can view videos off of my client site.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 04:20 PM

Read somewhere about the missing features being possible additions through software updates (MMS, iChat etc), and it mentioned Bluetooth A2DP stereo as a software update. Is this right that the stereo bluetooth could be added via software, because my thinking was that the difference between normal and stereo bluetooth was hardware based, and therefore not fixable on the iPhone until the 2nd gen?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 04:40 PM

That depends on what kind of Bluetooth mechanism Apple put into the iPhone. Maybe they have the right hardware in there, they just don't have the software for it (yet). I don't know, I'm just guessing.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
So I wonder if its possible (I'm assuming it is) to implement copy/paste functionality with an update to the software.
Apple added a '.com' button to the keyboard while web browsing, so there's no real reason why they couldn't add copy and paste keys as well.

Highlight text. Tap the copy button. Go to email message/note. Tap paste button.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2007, 05:25 PM

I think the problem is actually that there is no way to highlight text at the moment -- all movements of your fingers on the screen are interpreted as navigational commands (scroll the screen, zoom in and out, move the text input cursor). I'm sure they can get around it, though.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Apple added a '.com' button to the keyboard while web browsing, so there's no real reason why they couldn't add copy and paste keys as well.

Highlight text. Tap the copy button. Go to email message/note. Tap paste button.
Indeed. Lets hope they implement this ASAP.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 05:50 PM

Better yet. Double tap = select word. Triple tap = select sentence. Finger slide = drag (lift finger to drop).

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Mac Rumours is saying that you will be able to add custom ringtones (for a fee) via iTunes 7.3.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Better yet. Double tap = select word. Triple tap = select sentence. Finger slide = drag (lift finger to drop).
How do they distinguish tapping to select something from tapping to zoom in and out, which is already implemented?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 08:19 PM

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 08:28 PM

CBS Early Show- USA Today review YouTube - CBS Early Show Apple iPhone Sneak Peek
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 10:06 PM

The guy on CBS called it CoverView. The CBS video is the first video I've seen that actually puts the size of the iPhone in perspective. It's bigger than I thought.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
How do they distinguish tapping to select something from tapping to zoom in and out, which is already implemented?
Pogue describes a method of when you tap and hold, a loupe appears which lets you position the cursor for editing...probably would just as well for highlighting a word or sentence.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 03:53 PM

Just to let you guys know that CNBC will be live at the iPhone debut tonight at 6.00PM. And on Fastmoney at 8.00PM, they will have an actual iPhone in their hands to make a review and comments.

I'll be watching.....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2007, 11:42 PM

I'm going to resurrect this thread to add the Ars Technica review.

iPhone in depth: the Ars review: Page 1

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2007, 12:44 PM

Worth the resurrection, if only for the laugh:

The iPhone is a piece of ****, and so is your face.
( Last edited by icruise; Jul 25, 2007 at 01:25 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 25, 2007, 01:26 PM

I deleted the inline GIF because it was threatening to give me a seizure. People can click the link to see it if they want.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2007, 01:31 PM

I thought it was the funniest bit.

milhouse
Senior User
Jul 26, 2007, 10:29 AM

Maddox is always good for a laugh...

and a spinning man-kick to the groin.
"-Dodge This"

Forum Links
Forum Rules