Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > SpyMac.com has finally died!

SpyMac.com has finally died!
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2010, 01:37 PM

Well, looks like SpyMac.com has finally died. A few years ago SpyMac.com went in their own direction which was complete off the topic of "Mac" and turned into a picture/video posting site which looked like hell.

The classic site has always been running http://classic.spymac.com but with the main site down users can no longer login. Looks like time has finally come for SpyMac!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 01:50 PM

LOL, SpyMac was the eternal joke among Mac "related" sites.

You will not be missed.

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
LOL, SpyMac was the eternal joke among Mac "related" sites.
I thought macnet2.com or something like that was.

Or MacOsRumors was always good for a laugh.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2010, 01:54 PM

I just can't believe it has taken sooooo long to finally die yet the classic site is the only part that still shows lol

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I thought macnet2.com or something like that was.
I never heard of that.

SpyMac was at least "famous".

-t

hayesk
Mar 1, 2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I never heard of that.
It was run by John Manzione. If I recall, he ranted a lot but didn't really say all that much. I haven't heard mention of macnet2.com in years.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
It was run by John Manzione. If I recall, he ranted a lot but didn't really say all that much. I haven't heard mention of macnet2.com in years.
Right right. The funny thing was John Manzione was on these boards when OSX 10.0 was about to come out. He went to some Apple dealer and saw the final version already installed and came back on these boards and said something like "OSX 10.0 is simply the fastest OS ever made". He said there was no delays in resizing windows, everything launched in a couple bounces it just screamed on the hardware at the time. He also confirmed the build number.

Then a week later when it actually shipped people quickly saw it was slow as hell GUI wise and some big scandal started that there was 2 shipping versions of OSX with the SAME BUILD NUMBER. The one John used was the one with the "Debugging code removed" that was only done on the FINAL FINAL code.

Sad thing there was no way to tell which one of the 2 you had. In reality it was all bullshit as we all know. Unfortunately this "Debug code slowing down OSX" was around till about 10.3.

I think John also broke his laptop screen and then bitched for months on how much Apple sucks for not fixing it for free.

Also John (and MacOsRumors) always tried to make their companies bigger than they were. MacNet was apparently a "bustling newsroom fill of reporters typing away hot news stories on Apple rumors".

I remember when Ryan at MOSR said that "the high ups at Apple headquarters arranged a private video conference to demo upcoming hardware to the team members at MOSR".

All these sites might have ran stories on BatBoy.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Mar 2, 2010 at 02:10 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Right right. The funny thing was John Manzione was on these boards when OSX 10.0 was about to come out. He went to some Apple dealer and saw the final version already installed and came back on these boards and said something like "OSX 10.0 is simply the fastest OS ever made". He said there was no delays in resizing windows, everything launched in a couple bounces it just screamed on the hardware at the time. He also confirmed the build number.

Then a week later when it actually shipped people quickly saw it was slow as hell GUI wise and some big scandal started that there was 2 shipping versions of OSX with the SAME BUILD NUMBER. The one John used was the one with the "Debugging code removed" that was only done on the FINAL FINAL code.

Sad thing there was no way to tell which one of the 2 you had. In reality it was all bullshit as we all know. The sad thing was this "Debug code slowing down OSX" was around till about 10.3.

I think John also broke his laptop screen and then bitched for months on how much Apple sucks for not fixing it for free.

Also John (and MacOsRumors) always tried to make their companies bigger than they were. MacNet was apparently a "bustling newsroom fill of reporters typing away hot news stories on Apple rumors".

I remember when Ryan at MOSR said that the high ups at Apple headquarters arranged a private video conference to demo upcoming hardware to the team members at MOSR.

All these sites might have ran stories on BatBoy.
Wait, wait, wait.............

THAT WAS HIM?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2010, 03:59 AM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 05:02 AM

I don't even remember Mac Net 2, but yeah those were some fun times.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Wait, wait, wait.............

THAT WAS HIM?
Yup, it sure was. I remember he was some funny looking dude with a skullet too

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 03:28 PM

I was actually a mod over at MacNetV2 for a few months. John and somebody here (AlbertWu?) had a tiff between them and John said that none of his mods were allowed to post or be members at MacNN anymore. I respectfully resigned.

Analogue, I remember that OSX thread, hilarious times. 10.0 was anything but 'fast' the only adjective I would use in a positive light would have been 'more stable than 9.2'

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2010, 09:52 AM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2010, 08:52 PM

Wasn't Spymac the site that released video of the infamous iWalk device?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2010, 10:49 PM

The iWalk seems like nothing today, doesn't it?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The iWalk seems like nothing today, doesn't it?
Well it had a sorta eReader / newton vibe to it except for that silly scroll dial (which is semi-iPod in retrospect).
I kinda believe Apple might had something close to it (as they admitted as much) even though the iWalk was a fake.

Whatever Apple had at the time just got shelved for a few years and eventually turned into the iPhone.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2010, 04:49 PM

Right before the iPad announcement I was trying so hard to find the original iWalk videos, to no avail. Anybody here got ’em?

Forum Links
Forum Rules