Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office X Update version: How to install on a new, X-only box?

Office X Update version: How to install on a new, X-only box?
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 02:09 PM

I have an iMac DV 400. In its OS 9 days, I had installed Word 98. When I upgraded to OS X, I bought Office X Upgrade, which searches for the previous version on the hard drive before it will install. No problem.

Next year I plan on buying a new Mac -- either a G5 tower or G4 iMac -- and getting rid of my old one. But either one of these would boot only into X.

My question is, how do I install my Office X -- fairly bought and paid for -- on the new machine? I can't install Word 98, and if the upgrade CD doesn't find the previous version on my HD, it won't install.

I'm hoping I won't have to buy Office X all over again.

cnelson87
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 02:46 PM

do you have a cd burner? maybe burn the os 9 version of Word to a cd and copy it to the os X machine. obviously you wouldn't be able to use the app, but at least the updater would see it. maybe. no guarantees.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 03:18 PM

I don't know why, but when I did a clean install (no just an archive and install) rather than running the Office X installer, I just dragged the MS Office folder from /Applications/ of my backup drive and it ran fine - no need to enter a key or anything.

So just back up your office X folder, and when you've upgraded or bought a new system, drag it over to the new system.

Worked for me.
cpac

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 05:59 PM

It's possible that Office v.X, if it is unable to locate an earlier version of Office installed on the hard disk, will prompt you to insert the install CD for verification that you do own an earlier version of Office. MS has done this before.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 06:31 PM

You have to find all of the locations that MS has placed info for office on your mac. If you copy all of these, and transfer them to you new machine, it will work. Look in Documents, Application support, Library, everywhere.

It has always worked for me. However, I still get nervous that someday something will go wrong and will have to reinstall without having OS 9 on my machine. Upgrade versions really suck.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Wahnsinn:
It's possible that Office v.X, if it is unable to locate an earlier version of Office installed on the hard disk, will prompt you to insert the install CD for verification that you do own an earlier version of Office. MS has done this before.
This is how it works.

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 03:18 AM

Hmm. I'll see if it prompts me to insert the CD, but just in case I'll make sure to try the other suggestions here. Over at Microsoft.com someone also recommended dragging the Word 98 folder onto the OS X HD. We'll see. Anyway, thanks, in a few months I'll let you know how it went.

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 11:35 AM

I'm not sure it actually prompts you to insert the CD. But when it searches for a previous version, and I know from experience it will find and accept as sufficient a copy of Office:2001 on the intallation CD or an external drive. (It doesn't need to find a copy that can actually run.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules