Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Enjoy Running Boot Camp?

Enjoy Running Boot Camp?
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 09:42 PM

I am just wondering how many people enjoy running boot camp on MAC OS X? I have heard that it has a ton of issues with laptops such as the Macbook CD and Macbook Pro. I have also heard it is not secure and puts your computer at risk. I think it would be awesome to run boot camp.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Markg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 09:47 PM

I dont really enjoy it but rather use it mainly for one app (Nero 7) and a few others.I have zero problems running windows on my imac and macbook pro. Running windows is just as secure on a mac than on a windows pc. (I'm not saying its secure at all, just equivilent to a windows based pc)

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Markg View Post
I dont really enjoy it but rather use it mainly for one app (Nero 7) and a few others.I have zero problems running windows on my imac and macbook pro. Running windows is just as secure on a mac than on a windows pc. (I'm not saying its secure at all, just equivilent to a windows based pc)
if you get a virus on windows does it interfere with mac os x? because i would love to get windows on my macbook to use cucusoft video converter and one click dvd copy.

p.s. what anti-virus and anti-spyware programs do you use?

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2007, 08:48 AM

I cannot imagine a virus on Windows XP can harm your mac osx ... first, you don't have write access to the Mac partitions, if you try to give those partitions a drive letter, it might even ask you if you would like to format it ..

Second, even if you do have write access, OS X cannot handle windows files, I mean execute etc. so either virus won't work .. the last known virus was written 10 years ago (for mac) and was mainly a prove of concept thing .. it didn't even harm OSX ...

Markq: Nero ? It might has more functions, but I mainly use it only to burn images or create data CDs .. Toast just does the job

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 09:22 AM

Enjoy not the word I use but that doesn't mean I think it sux either. Rather boot camp is a means to an end. I can run windows which gives me access to programs and sites that osx does not. That is I can log into my work via vpn with boot camp, of course I can do the same with paralells and I do but my point is that boot camp allows me to do what I want/need to do without buying a pc.
Michael

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 12:05 PM

So I guess a better word is, it it worth installing it. Cost wise, for the disk and memory wise for the hard drive

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 02:37 PM

I'm waiting for Jaguar before I begin using Boot Camp.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Visualize
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2007, 11:07 AM

^^you will have to wait a long time then. Let's just assume that when the world ends that everything will start over, then you might be able to wait for Jaguar. You might however wait for Leopard which will come in this lifetime.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX View Post
I'm waiting for Jaguar before I begin using Boot Camp.
I hope you mean Leopard?

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 08:47 AM

On my Mac Pro native windows XP plays stupid video games great—although I did need to install the latest video card drivers to get one game stop quitting itself on start-up.

I'm having issues trying to get Parallels Windows XP to see the internet. I have no idea why it wants to be manually configured but I need to get it sorted quick to get my quoting software to run.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2007, 10:09 AM

First, "running Boot Camp" was simply the setup process. Partitioning my drive and installing Windows, then installing the driver disc was, compared to installing Windows on a homebrewed PC, quite enjoyable - and not in the "I'm hitting myself with a much smaller hammer, so it's much more pleasant" sense, either.

However, running Windows on my MacBook Pro is much more enjoyable than running it on my existing PC hardware because the MBP is a much faster computer and it's much better integrated than any of the PCs I've built.

Now for the bad news: THERE ARE PC VIRUSES THAT CAN AND WILL HURT YOUR OS X INSTALLATION. A number of viruses are capable of overwriting the entire hard drive, regardless of the type of partitions on it. You MUST use some form of antivirus software with your Windows installation. There are a number of serviceable and free PC antivirus programs-do some searches to find the combination of features and ease of use that works for you. My university provides Symantec Client Security for ALL students for FREE (it's self defense for their network) so I just go with that; you may have a similar offer at your school or office.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules