Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Beer

Beer
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 1, 2018, 12:22 PM

Have we had a beer thread before? We should have a beer thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2018, 12:32 PM

I've been very partial to this lately...

I'm a huge fan of citra-hopped IPAs, but in the summer the ABV can be a bit too much, this is the best of both worlds.

When I don't mind getting a heady buzz on...

Doesn't taste like it's 8%, and the 16oz cans will sneak up on you, but this is pretty much the nectar of the gods.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 1, 2018, 02:59 PM

I can't do hops. Any time I have even a single IPA or pale ale I just end up with a pounding headache. So I stick to darker beers, stouts, porters, browns, ambers, bocks. If I want a lighter beer it's usually sours, saisons, shandys.

Another current favorite is Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2018, 03:17 PM

I enjoy an occasional Nitro Milk Stout.

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2018, 03:19 PM

I cannot do beer at all. Occasionally I have one of these:

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2018, 03:24 PM

Taste? Allergies?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I enjoy an occasional Nitro Milk Stout.
My wife sticks to beers that are amber and lighter, but while she was nursing she got into Left Hand's Milk Stout - in theory the lactose helps with milk production. In practice, it was a good excuse to drink beer.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2018, 03:55 PM

I’ve been dabbling in the sours lately as well, I find them very refreshing with a meal.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2018, 03:57 PM

Honestly, I’m fine with an MGD. I’m not particularly sophisticated in the beer department.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I can't do hops. Any time I have even a single IPA or pale ale I just end up with a pounding headache.
That's my reaction to cheap domestic beer!

IPAs are a dime-a-dozen these days, with many companies offerings being quite pedestrian. I myself have been on the IPA train since my very first beer at 16, which was a Harpoon IPA my mom gave me a few sips of.

My favorite IPAs, besides the ones I just posted, are Harpoon, Sierra Nevada, Ballast Point Sculpin, and Mayflower. In fact Mayflower makes a damn good Golden Ale and Porter as well, worth a shot if you have it near you.

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Taste? Allergies?
Allergies, I think. Years ago I discovered feeling hungover/headaches/nauseated right after drinking beer. Used to think it was crappy beer, but guinness etc is worse.

Might be gluten, lately other gluten things are troublesome.

Cider is tasty though.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That's my reaction to cheap domestic beer!
Light beer goes straaaaight through me and somehow multiplies on its way through. Any time I try to party and drink a few cheap beers I spend more time in the bathroom peeing out gallon after gallon.

In fact Mayflower makes a damn good Golden Ale and Porter as well, worth a shot if you have it near you.
Looks like they're New England-only.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Allergies, I think. Years ago I discovered feeling hungover/headaches/nauseated right after drinking beer. Used to think it was crappy beer, but guinness etc is worse.

Might be gluten, lately other gluten things are troublesome.

Cider is tasty though.

I have a friend with allergies who can stomach this. Maybe worth an experiment. It’s tasty.

OreoCookie
Aug 1, 2018, 09:57 PM

My wife loves those, Belgian fruit beers in particular and Belgian beers in general. It was her #1 request: after giving birth, she wanted to have a taste of Belgian beer after months of abstention. I'm really proud of her, ever since getting together with me, she has developed a palate for beers.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2018, 01:50 PM

Like now, when its hot, hotter than usual for summer I do love beers from the hotter european countries. I guess they are lighter but chilled they seem way more refreshing than the stronger domestic brands. Right now I'm keen on Estrella and Peroni. Not by any means "drinkers beers" but they suit the climate.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2018, 05:51 PM

Just because, I’ll get a Peroni at an Italian place, or Hillas at a Greek place, etc.

In that vein, don’t get a Corona, people. Dos Equis is like, actually decent.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2018, 10:45 PM

My go to site for brew reviews.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/
I found out that most American lagers are "adjunct" corn beers, the exception being Bud and Coors, they use rice in the mash. They use just enough malted barley to still be called beer.

As far as national brews, I'm partial to the New Belgium stuff. We have several top notch local breweries here. I'm partial to Four Peaks' Kilt Lifter Scottish ale.
45/47

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2018, 11:31 PM

Beer snob here. Really dig the Belgian beers (trappist, sour, etc.) and super hoppy IPAs. Sorta burnt out on imperial stouts.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2018, 12:11 AM

Visited a brewery in MN this weekend.

Tried a whole bunch of them, brought home a few crowlers.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2018, 05:06 PM

Rolling Rock.

electrode17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2018, 12:55 AM

I'm craving some beer. Heineken will do.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Sep 10, 2018, 05:50 PM

A big fan of Sip, however, Peak organics' "The Juice" has been my go to brew.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I've been very partial to this lately...

I'm a huge fan of citra-hopped IPAs, but in the summer the ABV can be a bit too much, this is the best of both worlds.

When I don't mind getting a heady buzz on...

Doesn't taste like it's 8%, and the 16oz cans will sneak up on you, but this is pretty much the nectar of the gods.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2018, 07:02 PM

Mango Cart is pretty delicious with subtle fruitiness ... reminds me of a fruity hefe ... Down to Earth is a simple IPA with all of the bitterness and none of the excessive alcohol content ... both are my favorite for my ability to crush a ton without feeling too wasted

mildly over IPA's as well ... why do they continue to persist in such overabundance? Why hasn't the hype died? WHY??!?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2018, 03:40 PM

On the Kavanaugh Scale of Beer Appreciation, I consistently test at around 3 centiKavanaughs (28 milliKavanaughs).

In freedom units we’ll call it 1/32 Kavanaugh.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2018, 05:30 AM

I feel like we’re at peak IPA, and I’m sensing blowback.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2018, 09:05 AM

I remember in 2007 when some friends were beyond excited that we were finally able to get Fat Tire in Iowa. Today, the craft beer crowd will often bitch and moan about how bland and basic and boring it is.

Ten years ago, a six pack of craft beer was $6-7. I could get Shiner Bock for $5.50. Now at the grocery store, the "standard" price for a six pack is $9.99, "good" stuff is ~$12 and the "Wow! Such sale!" price for most six packs is $8.

For something that cost $7 in 2008, after inflation I'd expect it to run $8.20 today. As demand for craft beer has risen, they've been able to push prices higher and higher. Breweries are opening left and right to the point of oversaturation.

And it seems that a large part of the market is driven by novelty. Quad-IPA! A billion IBUs! 110% ABV! Your lips literally melt when they touch the beer! Limited release! Stand in line for six days for the chance to pay $150 for half a bottle of what we captured when we wrung out the mop we used to the clean the brewing tanks!

I think you're right - we're reaching peak IPA, but maybe peak craft beer, too. There's only so many hops, or such a high ABV you can put in a beer before it's undrinkable by all but the most dedicated "connoisseurs."

I assume the fad will eventually level out, but the in meantime I'm still finding myself paying $12 for Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, because that shit is tasty.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2018, 09:10 AM

Am I old now? Does complaining about how much things cost these days make me old?

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2018, 09:44 AM

I've always avoided "quad" or "imperial" anything. I've never found any of them even remotely palatable. I agree about prices, but I think it's just an inevitable turn when something becomes as popular as craft beer is. I do wonder, though, how conglomerates like AB-InBev buying-up craft breweries affects pricing? Those guys are notorious for forcing actual small brewers off the store shelves.

Obviously, buying by the growler is the most economical way to go, but that also means you have to drink all 64oz more-or-less immediately. I'm old. I can't do that anymore.

andi*pandi
Oct 18, 2018, 10:35 AM

Am I old now? Does complaining about how much things cost these days make me old?
I think the only solution to complaining about prices is to start brewing it yourself. That seems to be a middle-aged man thing to do, so you're not quite there yet.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2018, 01:56 PM

As someone who is definitely not into the "hops for the sake of hops" trend these are a couple of local STL brews that I enjoy:

http://4handsbrewery.com

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2018, 03:08 PM

I think the only solution to complaining about prices is to start brewing it yourself. That seems to be a middle-aged man thing to do, so you're not quite there yet.
I’ve heard the easiest thing to brew yourself is an IPA.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Obviously, buying by the growler is the most economical way to go, but that also means you have to drink all 64oz more-or-less immediately. I'm old. I can't do that anymore.
Growlers are the same/more expensive per oz than six packs, at least at my local grocery store. A six pack of bottles is 72oz, and they're charging $10-12 to fill a 64oz growler. $8-20+ seems to be the standard for growler fills from microbreweries.

I have the books and started gathering tools and bottles at one point, but after considering the time, space, and final $/oz I gave up on the idea and dumped the 60-some bottles I had gathered and sanitized into the recycling. I still have my capper lying around somewhere. The ingredients for a 1-gallon brew cost $15-25 and make less beer than 2 six-packs, so you're losing money. The five gallon kits are $20-50, and make the equivalent of about 8 six packs, so after a few brews you'd paid off the $100+ initial outlay in tools and supplies, but now you have to store the supplies. Plus you better like cleaning, because like 80% of brewing is just cleaning buckets, pots, and tubes. But don't you want to keg your beer? It's so much better and easier than bottling! Oops, there goes $1000 on kegs, gas, a keezer, an electronic temperature controller, and more.

It's the same reason I didn't get into guns - I don't need another expensive and time consuming hobby, I have plenty of those already!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2018, 04:08 PM

Somewhat similarly, I stay away from guns because I’m ultimately a total pig and don’t want to deal with cleaning them.

I have a small knife collection, and they’re all titanium so I don’t have to worry about rust.

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2018, 05:16 PM

A good friend recently traveled to Wisconsin for a wedding, and brought back a few of the local brews. I really liked the New Glarus Moon Man No Coast Pale Ale. Very delicious and definitely not a hop-bomb in the least. A really good session ale. I’d love to get my hands on more, and add it to my little house rotation.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2018, 06:32 PM

Tell me you got Spotted Cow.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2018, 11:38 PM

New Glarus makes some great fruit beers too.

Thorzdad
Oct 19, 2018, 06:07 AM

Tell me you got Spotted Cow.
Moon Man was the only one from New Glarus.

I also had Woodtick IPA from Brewster Bros. It was about as hop-forward as I can handle in an IPA. I keep Bell's Two-Hearted as one of my house beers, and would say Woodtick is more in-your-face hoppy than that. Probably similar to a Founders Centennial. The Bell's has a better hop-to-malt balance, imho.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2018, 07:40 PM

With New Clarus, my favorites are Hair of the Cow IPA and Moof lager.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2018, 07:49 PM

I think you're right - we're reaching peak IPA, but maybe peak craft beer, too. There's only so many hops, or such a high ABV you can put in a beer before it's undrinkable by all but the most dedicated "connoisseurs."
In the 90s, I used to drink this as a ploy to seem interesting.

Good Christ it was awful.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2018, 12:27 PM

I live literally about 2 hours from Shiner, Texas, and I've been to their brewery. It's lovely, and they have all sorts of newer beers. Newer than my all-time favorite of theirs, Shiner Bock. That was the first "not a huge brand" beer, by the way. And even here, a 6-pack costs the same for any of the Spoetzl beers as for any others...

I've lately been going for chocolate stouts. The one I like best is Young's, which is made with grain toasted "to a chocolate colour" then brewed with real chocolate. There's another one, Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout that gives Young's some good competition. Otherwise, most of the time it's Shiner.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2018, 05:53 PM

I have family in Houston who turned me on to Shiner. Good stuff.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2018, 03:31 PM

I've been a fan of Shiner Bock for years.

Recently discovered this one. Pleasantly surprised.

Thorzdad
Oct 24, 2018, 04:12 PM

I’ll be enjoying some 3 Floyds Yum Yum tonight.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2018, 04:20 PM

This is my 3F go-to.

Not really an ale person, but I like this.

When people ask me to “bring beer”, I go with this and the Nitro milk stout.

Thorzdad
Oct 24, 2018, 04:30 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2019, 04:47 PM

For certain definitions of “European”.

Thorzdad
Jan 6, 2019, 06:41 PM

That’s some mighty affordable beer over there.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2019, 02:22 AM

Here’s the US by case.

Assuming that’s cans, and I did the math right, the conversion rate to 0.5l in Euros is divide by 9.71. We can call that 10 I think.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2019, 10:25 AM

I don’t think your math is right.

A 24 case of 12oz cans/bottles is the equivalent of about 7.92 liters. 12 oz is roughly 0.33 liters.

So a 24 pack contains 15.84 half liters.

On top, for FX, let’s assume EUR 1.00 equals USD 1.15.
So the US prices above needs to be divided by 15.82 and 1.15 = 18.22

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Jan 7, 2019 at 12:19 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don’t think your math is right.
Wouldn’t be the first time.

I think I multiplied instead of divided with the exchange.

Forum Links
Forum Rules