Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > "Cleaning" of threads?

"Cleaning" of threads?
Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 10:16 PM

Is it possible to have a thread "cleaned"?

The thread in question is this one:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=225837

From my point of view the thread is a meeting ground where the results are analysed in a brief manner, eg looks like this is working, maybe X needs to focus more on this. It has no real issues to debate, and the people who are watching it have tended to be well behaved and courteous to people with opposing views.

It has served as a good time line on how things have polled over a period of time, but certain people on both sides seem hell bent on derailing it into the mindless drivel that the Pol Lounge usually is.

Personally I have stopped following most of the topics in the Pol Lounge as their seems to be a lot of people who think if they post a lot and yell down everyone else, that that makes them right.

Please save this thread........

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2004, 10:40 PM

What he said.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 10:49 PM

you can't simply place them on your ignore list?

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 12:14 AM

I could, but I would rather people would look at the tone of the thread and make appropriate judgements on what the content is.

I also do not think the ignore function is an effective means of getting rid of the chaff.

As I said in my post above, many of the posters are having an effective dialogue that is constructive, and not concerned about scoring "points" for the left or the right.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 11:36 AM

First, let me apologize, since I participated in one of the potential derailings. Second, I've seen "cleaning-up" of threads before, but those usually involve very, very rude comments that really have no place in any thread here at 'NN. Third, it's not uncommon for side conversations to start within a thread - it is a forum after all. Most times, however, these side conversations only last a couple of posts and then the thread gets back to the original topic (sometimes the mods help in getting the threads back on topic). This brings me to my last point. That is, I didn't think it would take half a page for Zimphire and I to come to some sort of conclusion on our disagreement. In fact, I don't think we did, but the thread is back on topic.

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 11:55 AM

Thank you.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 22, 2004, 02:05 PM

It's kinda petty. How many of you in real life in a discussion usually stay on topic?

Discussions are known to drift in and out of topic in real life. This is just a fact.

Next thing you know, the Mods are going to get upset because people are pausing between sentences.

As long as it eventually goes back to the original topic, I don't see where there is a problem.

Of course if you are just LOOKING for something to complain about...

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Of course if you are just LOOKING for something to complain about...

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 22, 2004, 05:06 PM

Peter I have seen threads horribly derailed and nothing get said or done about it.

Then I see threads get horribly derailed and certain people say things about it because certain people were involved in the derailed conversation.

Yes it's that transparent.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 05:10 PM

Peter I have seen threads horribly derailed and nothing get said or done about it.

Then I see threads get horribly derailed and certain people say things about it because certain people were involved in the derailed conversation.

Yes it's that transparent.
well if certain things lead to certain consequences then certainly it'll be certain that everyone will complain.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 22, 2004, 05:11 PM

What I am saying is, a lot of the complaints come from not what is happening, but who is involved.

Yes, it comes down to pettiness.

The Mods should take that into consideration and stop putting the heavy hammer down JUST because they hear complaints.

Getting people to shut up or appeasement shouldn't be a reason to condom someone.

That just shows the whiners that it works.

But no one ever accused the mods of not doing things the easy way just to keep things quite.

For example I have been banned before and given the reason "To quite things down"

Not because I was doing anything wrong.

The mods just don't want to hear complaints, so they take the easy way out.

I mean I an not faulting them, they don't get payed for this.

But it IS sending the wrong message to the people who take advantage of the mods.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 05:16 PM

Getting people to shut up or appeasement shouldn't be a reason to condom someone.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 05:57 PM

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 07:38 PM

The reasons why I think this thread is different is:

- it serves as a timeline on what is happening so a major derailment will effectively kill a thread which still has merit.

- the topic itself is very "non-combative". It is about the polls, not about major policies (read: throwing mud at the other candidate), which means the level of civility is much higher.

My point is that there are plenty of other threads to argue in. If a point is raised in the thread that is so important, start a new thread or find an existing one to tack it on too.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 01:42 AM

I believe thread integrity should be a shared responsibility.

The thread starter is the first line of responsibility and if he/she cares about the thread, he/she will make it known to posters to "take it outside" if there's a problem.

I saw PacHead exercise that responsibility in one of his threads. I admired it. I took greater care not to go off topic in THAT thread as a result.

I emulated his actions in one of my threads and everyone seemed to respect the thread integrity from then on.

I think the mods have a difficult enough job as it is and there should be a little note at the "start a new thread" page instructing the starter on what his/her responsibility is in this regard.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
What was your last username? You're not new.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 23, 2004, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
I believe thread integrity should be a shared responsibility.

The thread starter is the first line of responsibility and if he/she cares about the thread, he/she will make it known to posters to "take it outside" if there's a problem.

I saw PacHead exercise that responsibility in one of his threads. I admired it. I took greater care not to go off topic in THAT thread as a result.

I emulated his actions in one of my threads and everyone seemed to respect the thread integrity from then on.

I think the mods have a difficult enough job as it is and there should be a little note at the "start a new thread" page instructing the starter on what his/her responsibility is in this regard.
While I agree, it's hard to see derails ahead of time. Sometimes things shouldn't go on as long as they did. The thread derailed in this instance, someone just wanted to argue the meaning of "fact" instead of dealing with what was being talked about. The election counting.

I've tried the "Don't reply to this post in this thread" and then made another thread only for that post to get replied to in the original thread anyhow.

I've tried to divert derailings only for people to ignore pleas to continue the discussion in a different thread. So that doesn't work either.

dcolton
Banned
Sep 24, 2004, 10:52 AM

Everyone derails! Shouldn't be a bannable offense, unless it is done to the extreme. But, deep down, I think people are upset moreso because they are not included in the conversation

Forum Links
Forum Rules